The Corroboree

With the new laws coming in offering to quietly outlaw many of our private collections, I can see that one of the few options available to people to keep their collection is to create what I think of as a "Bush Garden" where the collection is relocated away from private gardens towards hidden areas in the bush. As a keen conservationist, I thought it might be nice to have a bit of a discussion of the pros and cons of doing this, and how to avoid disrupting the natural wildlife. Please note that this is likely to be considered illegal, so this is for information purposes only, to try and prevent damage to native wildlife. This could also provide useful information on the weediness characteristics of various plants if kept on private land. Also, the information here could provide a legitimate reason for asking the government to legalize these plants so that they are kept on private property under the careful eye of their owners to prevent possible damage to the native ecosystems in the future.

There are a number of impacts that could be considered when creating a bush garden. One is the potential weediness of a species, which will vary considerably from area to area - for example, Psychotria viridi is unlikely to be weedy in cooler temperate areas, but as a tropical plant which regularly produces seed it might, if unattended, become weedy in a local zone. It seems most native animals do not go for the berries (correct me if I am wrong) so they would likely be confined to a small area. Brugmansia and Datura, on the other hand, can become quite weedy very quickly and seed (esp. Datura) can be spread long distances. Acacias are one plant to be very careful about, they may be well adapted to local conditions and spread very rapidly as a result.

Water sources can be a potential problem for weed spread, so plants shouldn't be grown near a creek or river, however some plants prefer more rainfall so natural rainfall should be considered.

Introduction of pathogens. A bush garden could be a source of pathogen introduction, either by walking weed seed in on boots, or Pythium, Phytophthora (esp. in wet areas). It is for this reason that they kept the location of the Wollemi Pine secret as they were concerned of the impact of bringing in new pathofgens to a pristine environment. Also, garden plants are likely to contain small numbers of pests and diseases like scale insects and mealy bug which might harm the local wildlife. Myrtle Rust is something one should take great care of, it's rapidly becoming widespread and causes immense harm to many native Mytaceae plants, and spores could be carried in by accident even though the plant itself isn't infected. Pathways in to a bush garden may be considered disturbed land and an entry point for weeds like Crofton weed and various grasses.

Toxicity. Some plants may be toxic to local wildlife, and they may not recognise them as not being a food source. I don't have any specific information on this, so if anyone has any experience or knowledge of native animals / insects eating plants which are bad for them, please post here.

This may seem over the top, especially for those who regularly see the ravages wrought by legal plants which are introduced merely for their ability to impress other people (and why couldn't the government spend their efforts targeting plants which provide very little use at all as opposed to medicinal plants, one asks) but as responsible plant collectors we must take these issues seriously and make our decisions based on informed knowledge as opposed to ideological fervour, even if our government fails dramatically at every level to do the same.

• Like 3

I was going to buy a mountainous block and plant out 100s of Trichocereus. But now I am just going to grow a fence of them around my property to keep the grubbyment out lol.

• Like 2

Cacti is an interesting one. As far as weediness potential, we have seen some Opuntia becoming a real menace. However, most cacti are self-infertile so cross-pollination would only be an issue if there were a number of clones planted in close proximity. Seeds are dsitributed by small animals, but I have never seen seedlings come up in the wild, at least not on the East Coast. Lophophora are often self-fertile, but they seem particularly unsuited to coastal conditions, they may fare better in drier regions but are usually small and insignificant, and the ravages done by farming in drier areas would far surpass any problems caused by them. I'd say the weediness potential for most garden collections is quite small. Pathogens, anything that affects cacti are likely to already be native, and if not they would probably only affect cacti so not a problem there.

i am forever cutting out wattle ! its a hard wood soo it keeps tha fam warm in winter <> i do have a spot 4 datura but i mow every week around tha patch. sum herbs like mugwort, mint can b come a weed very fast too

Edited by bullit

"but I have never seen seedlings come up in the wild, at least not on the East Coast."

There's a heap of 'wild' cereus on the property next to the fruit shop on Richmond Rd that you pass on the way to Hamiltons from the m5. It looks like they started with a plant on either side of the front gate.

I think you under estimate peoples ability to locate cacti friendly microclimates & plant them out.

& i guess it depends on what plants your talking about, i've concentrated on large sweet fruited species that are attractive to animals, doesn't take a genius to figure out how thats going to go

• Like 2

gorilla gardening, alot of forests are run by the weed growers be careful when you are walking around alone deep in a native forest, and most around my area have guns they take in with them, i can think of a couple of "reserves" up my way that you just know not to go there, and if you see mull plants you know to get away before the farmer comes back....

Yeah well thats what happens when things get banned for political reasons & PPL still want them, they still have uses, they end up going bush.

I've stumbled on more than one escaped weedy pot population while hunting. And a few managed ones :huh: ghillie suit on, get down low, go go go

• Like 1

Yeah well thats what happens when things get banned for political reasons & PPL still want them, they still have uses, they end up going bush.

I've stumbled on more than one escaped weedy pot population while hunting. And a few managed ones :huh: ghillie suit on, get down low, go go go

stay away from my property i will fucken kills ya lol!!!!! :crux: jokes

• Like 2

F#ck going near your property bullit, I've seen what ya neighbours look like :lol:

• Like 1

F#ck going near your property bullit, I've seen what ya neighbours look like :lol:

hahah yeah jox my mate me neighbours r badass ! but its my 6 gargoyle guards u must look out 4<> if you can trick these beast and past to tha next round :wacko: my 4 beautiful taipan medusa daughters will take care of u very fast <> with my queen miko shaman wife ready 4 any problemz :devil: oi and dont forget me lurkin in tha mud in a crazed shotgun trance u will never get my necar of delight 1st offence [attachment=32636:b.jpg look out

Edited by bullit
  • Like 1

o yeah my trapdoors<> my plantz! the crazy brumansia witch that hates man distorting your mind foreverlost<>my henbane which will torture and burn u alive<> and my buttons do not step on the tracks of the little deer!

Edited by bullit