The Corroboree
Bread Filter

"Upside down" grafts

Hey guys.

I bought a whole bunch of grafts and was surprised to find that they were "upside down" grafts. The parts that were grafted to the stocks were tiny bottom slices of Lophs that had already been grafted to Peres. In fact they still had the Peres sticking out of them.

Some of them were black when they arrived and the rest all failed and turned black within 2 days.

I am just wondering if anyone else has had a chance to get these "upside down" grafts to take?

Also does anyone know if the dried out black spot on top of the stock will come back to life or are they now just root stock? If so I have twenty of them if any one wants them.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Bread Filter

do you have any pics?

sounds most strange. I can't see why it wouldn't work - I have never done it though.

also I think its its dried out and black - its probably too late :(

shit that sucks man i saw this in teo's grafting book

i have a peres graft wich i think the stock is getting a bit old and looks to be dying off

i was thinking of trying this method myself

i dont know if i should now though the bottom has pups on it wich i was going to leave on

i got alittle loph seed upside down seem to have takin,was only just done so will see what happens in time... :lol:

post-8648-0-53563300-1354589359_thumb.jp

post-8648-0-53563300-1354589359_thumb.jpg

post-8648-0-53563300-1354589359_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

In fact they still had the Peres sticking out of them.

I have cut seedlings in half and grafted the two ens onto two stocks - this works - but I'm confused by the above line? - so, the lophs had already grown, then degrafted and the little bit of loph left on the original peres was regrafted to another pereskiopsis?

thought everyone did that. its a waste not to use the root side(bottom) when grafting!

eventually new growth will cover any scars

• Like 1

I have cut seedlings in half and grafted the two ens onto two stocks - this works - but I'm confused by the above line? - so, the lophs had already grown, then degrafted and the little bit of loph left on the original peres was regrafted to another pereskiopsis?

pretty sure wat he means is its a peres graft thats been basically cut off with a piece of peres still attached

then the loph is cut in half and both the bottom and top are grafted to tricho's

so the bottom of the loph thats been regrafted to a trich still has the piece of peres attached

• Like 1

I've done that with my larger lophs, butthey were huge when degrafted. Infact, the little bit of pere sticking out of them is still green and appears alive, although it doesn't sprout. I've seen where peeps try and cut the pere out and it goes deep, so I just thought fuckit and left it on. Worked for all but one, but as I say, they were huge grafts.

Unless the graft union had healed, I would never sell a grafted plant. Sounds rushed to me.

pretty sure wat he means is its a peres graft thats been basically cut off with a piece of peres still attached

then the loph is cut in half and both the bottom and top are grafted to tricho's

so the bottom of the loph thats been regrafted to a trich still has the piece of peres attached

Yes. That is it exactly.

Lets just say I was MORE than just a little pissed off when I discovered I had paid full price, no haggling, for grafts then was sent these abominations.

I was even more pissed when they died within days.

They had definitely been grafted very very soon before they were sent.

Yeah I have heard about the grafting the bottom bit as well, but it has failed every time I have tried (thats not say it doesnt work) but these days, if the bottom bit has roots, or the chance of rooting, I try and leave some areoles on it and let it grow of its own accord.

That sounds like a really shitty trade, I would be asking for compensation.

• Like 1

Bread filter have you contacted the person that you got the grafts from ?

I always feel that the right thing to do is talk to the other party before a whole lot of people start slagging of the quality of the grafts when we don't know the facts and haven't seen the grafts.

Some times it is best to sit back and wait for the better quality plants to become available at the right price rather than just buying up every thing that is up for sale and then regretting it later. :wink:

Cheers

Got

Yes. That is it exactly.

They had definitely been grafted very very soon before they were sent.

ahh right - got ya. well that should work although I never consider a graft a success until it has started growing

to send them out before they fully 'take' is asking for trouble in my mind.

Bread filter have you contacted the person that you got the grafts from ?

I always feel that the right thing to do is talk to the other party before a whole lot of people start slagging of the quality of the grafts when we don't know the facts and haven't seen the grafts.

Some times it is best to sit back and wait for the better quality plants to become available at the right price rather than just buying up every thing that is up for sale and then regretting it later. :wink:

Cheers

Got

Definitely contacted the seller straight away. They couldn't care less, not like the traders here.

I guess I learned the hard way to always buy from The Corroborree.

• Like 1

Thats got to be the must obscure trade scam ive hear dof in some time. I spose you got to do something with the bottem right? :scratchhead:

If you've contacted them and they don't give a shit then let us know who its from so nobody here gets scammed like you

Bread Filter, I swear you've had more than your fair share of rotten luck. I think I can recall at least two other incidents of similar things you've been involved in. It makes me sad. :(

Please don't buy in bulk from strangers again, is the only outsider advice I can give. Unless they're old people (who you've seen with your own eyes) - old people are legit. :)

Secondly, grafts being upside-down do indeed work. They're not ideal, as the vascular tissue doesn't seem to like being upside down, but if the graft was done correctly, then they would have taken. But the fact you say the grafts were slices indicates that they were much less likely to take, especially if they weren't pre-calloused (i.e. let the top of the slice callous, before cutting the slice off. ) - then you can expect a lot of shrivelling, and for it to fall off. Some pictures would be really helpful to diagnose it further if you can suss them.

Anyway, keep your head up man, and things will get better. :]

If you've contacted them and they don't give a shit then let us know who its from so nobody here gets scammed like you

I don't do that any more after the last fiasco sorry.

Bread Filter, I swear you've had more than your fair share of rotten luck. I think I can recall at least two other incidents of similar things you've been involved in. It makes me sad. :(

Please don't buy in bulk from strangers again, is the only outsider advice I can give. Unless they're old people (who you've seen with your own eyes) - old people are legit. :)

Secondly, grafts being upside-down do indeed work. They're not ideal, as the vascular tissue doesn't seem to like being upside down, but if the graft was done correctly, then they would have taken. But the fact you say the grafts were slices indicates that they were much less likely to take, especially if they weren't pre-calloused (i.e. let the top of the slice callous, before cutting the slice off. ) - then you can expect a lot of shrivelling, and for it to fall off. Some pictures would be really helpful to diagnose it further if you can suss them.

Anyway, keep your head up man, and things will get better. :]

It's more than that mate. I get screwed all the time as I am way too generous and trusting.

I can get pics but they are just of rootstock with black and brown 10 cent piece sized circles on them.

I just wanted to know if they even take.