Sign in to follow this  
somnif

ABC TV, Monday, 8:30pm...

...Seems to be a doco on the War On Drugs;

I only saw a promo & have no TV guide so

'praps someone can double check for me.

yep

all about the US, hope its interesting smile.gif

very detailed. dragged on a bit. but all in all a good doco. It was interesting to see how the DEA was formed. Also was not aware of the heroin problems with vietnam vets. And it's on weekly. Next week we should find out all about the DEA involvement in the cocaine trade.

Is the tide turning?? I've watched more good (ie balanced) drug docos in the last month than in the last 5 years.

i was a bit disappointed. i mean they failed to mention who was supplying the us troops w/smack (the us secret service from their bases in Laos), nor did they mention that more us troops died from overdoses than enemy action(not sure if this is fact, but it was certainly given enough press at the time to rate a mention).

it also seemed to give methadone a glowing review( it IS a HIGHLY toxic drug) & implied that anyone who doubted nixons sincerity in authorising widespread use ov methadone in conjunction w/detailed personal notes was a conspiracy nut job.

as for the snow job they did on cocaine- mel gibsons "air america" [which is on tuesday(tonight) 8;30 ch.10] tells more ov the story then they did. they even had a DEA officer saying "you could get a call from a source saying 'we got a couple ov keys a'coke here' & unless he was outside the door with the coke, you weren't interested. i mean that's how it was- no-one went after the coke dealers." & they didn't really ask why. have to admit i missed the last 15 minutes, so i hope they cover it well in the next episode.

it was interesting to hear about the cocaine industry from the columbians point ov view.

[This message has been edited by nabraxas (edited 14 January 2003).]

once i saw the name dupont, i got so angry and

watched soutpark instead.

yeah, i thought that was funny too.

at one point dupont -the drug tsar- was saying nixon gave him a vitual free hand, but told him if he ever tried to liberalise the laws on mariajuana, he was outta there; so he waited 'till the next president(was it ford?) before trying - biggrin.gif laugh? i nearly fell outta my bean bag. maybe his conscience was bothering him.

Sorry didn't get around to watch this show, I should have but.

Strangely enough I happened to watch "Air America" on cable which played in the same time frame (nixon/Vietnam).

Normally I hate ALL war movies, and this patriotic Mel Gibson too, but this must have been one of his early roles where he was still cool.

Gibson and a younger actor played some desperados who were moving weapons around south east asia ( In my eyes as bad as trafficking heroin)and it shed a lot of light on was was happening there at the time.

People who are interested should get it from the video shop....