The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Halcyon Daze

AUSTRALIA'S LARGEST WIND FARM ANNOUNCED

Like the others ...its going to chop up eagles and muttonbirds....and kill bats by bursting their eardrums.

• Like 1

you know, if the victorian government weren't such cunts they could have just built the damn thing in vic and the money spent on the undersea cable could have gone to, i dunno, education? but no, that would have made sense. besides, why would they let an opportunity to screw over victorians go to waste?

• Like 1

The farmers on KI are happy about it.

There's been wind turbines and solar on KI for years.

Not one person on the island thinks they look bad or have some sub-audible sonic interference patterns on their bloody sleep regime. It's all good news to us!

post-8867-0-51225500-1354104426_thumb.jp

KI Renewable (1).jpg

KI Renewable (1).jpg

Edited by Halcyon Daze

Like the others ...its going to chop up eagles and muttonbirds....and kill bats by bursting their eardrums.

I wish i didn't read that:(

• Like 1

It may be good for the local economy, but I am still not convinced of the "sustainability" of certain types of wind production.

Woolnorth wind farm has a very shocking rate of impact. A couple of turbines is nothing like a true wind farm....

And shit, I am all for sustainability...... but some things do need to be put into balance.

It makes me a little more concerned about migratory birds coming to the island now. But hey the regulators put a number of how many they can impact upon a year.....trust me they do as they are told know what they are doing.

http://www.ala.org.a...birds-and-bats/

EDIT - SORRY AMZ ... but some facts should not be left out ...I've seen enough of that in my life

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 1

hey waterboy is there any type of wind turret that does not harm wildlife

The helical designs MAY be better, it IS a worldwide problem particularly where there are raptors..... As the current available"collision" data here comes from the owners themselves, monitored by folk searching for "featherspots" in scrubby terrain - also with the best remnant Tas Devil population cleaning up kills it is actually pretty hard to have reliable data. This IS not independantly collected data.....

They are most probably proposing the Vestas design generators, which generate power fairly efficiently, I think helical designs are less efficient and harder to scale up to the size these things are...they are big.

Where they are installed, and the density of the tower field are important factors.

Birds think they can get through because they blades appear to move slower than they actually moving, bats just need to get close to them. There is also a theory that wedge tailed eagles at some times during the year actually have an aggression response to the towers ( are you threatening me...), and other prey birds and competition (Sea eagles) can get chased into the blades.

I guess there is a trade off for every development done. Look at the Gas terminal in West Australia. They are going to mess with a whale nursery and destroy areas with potential dinosaur footprints etc.

In the end I regard wind turbines as the far lesser of two evils in this regard, as coal and other fossil fuels kill a hell of a lot more wildlife than a few birds each year.

As for the Orange bellied Parrot. The captive population is about 5 times greater than the wild population (100-20). I think this is a similar story for the princess parrot in central Australia.

It's a shame we are at the stage where we now have to make compromises. Sometimes a doctor will have to remove a limb to save your life. We can't blame the problem on those who are there to fix it.

Blame those who held renewables off for so long. Some people still deny climate change lol.

• Like 1

the way all you greenist pinko's hippies want it will have us all living in caves eating bark for a living, BARK! anything else is just ECONOMIC VANDALISM and a SOVEREIGN RISK and will have AUSTRALIA back in the MIDDLE AGES where coincidentally it was WARMER THAN IT IS NOW (global warming indeed :rolleyes: ) besides the POLLUTION made in creating these so-called "cleean energy" is 10x MORE THAN IT SAVES besides the world will NEVER cut down on emissions unless CHINA and USA act first they're building 20 NEW POWER PLANTS EVERY DAY besides i bet you all drink COKE don't you DONT YOU!

A few birds each year....rofl

and if I'm a greenie pinko hippy you definately don't know me at all....ROFL harder

Edited by waterboy