The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
space cadet swami

Anadenhantera peregrina "yopo"...germination help.

So, as the title states, I'm a bit concerned about my yopo seeds germinating. Everywhere i read says that they have mould issues when trying to germinate.

So I started with a pre-soak (the seeds swelled up nicely), I then placed them on their edges half submerged in a takeaway tek with vermiculite only. After 2 days I took the lid off to check & mould had turned up. I took the seed out, cleaned them with a toothbrush & a weak bleach solution (10%). This was followed with another wash & toothbrushing with plain water. I did up a new takeaway, with new vermiculite & this morning when I went to check on them, the mould was back again.

This is my 2nd shot at these seeds, after a dismal rotting of the 1st batch.

Any input would be appreciated from anyone who has grown this plant from seed with success...or knows of somebodies successful technique.

I just put mine in some fluffy cactus mix, set it in the green house n kept moist. Had a pretty shit germ rate due to the age of the seeds though. But in the end i got a couple of the bastards :) Although it does take some time to see signs, i found.

I didnt know anything about the mold and rotting troubles, never saw any though. Once they had sprouted for a couple days i took em out into the sun and the elements and watched em slowly climb.

Plant in the ground when the get the right age man, very slow growers, either way

Good luck, space duck :)

• Like 1

As far as I aware the takeaway tek is no good for anadenanthera (a big no no in fact), I would say that is your problem and why you got mould. As goldtop says, in moist soil in a normal pot, in a sheltered area, but uncovered, is the way to go, with good ambient temps.

• Like 2

Irie,

Well I did mine with verm.....

I did clip the edge of the seed before soak....

I would leave the lid off for a couple of days & only slightly dampen verm...

Respect,

Z

• Like 1

first time i did it i did that way as well. 30 seeds only have 1 large tree now to show for it. now i am using sphagnum moss with great success. when the tap pokes out place it in a mineral cactus seed type mix and a little coco to loosen it up a bit.

• Like 1

I did it based on some instructions I found on kadas site plus some other sources and it it worked a treat:

50/50 CSS/Coir [Pasteurized @ 145F for 2 hr]

3 cm deep tray (though I would say no less than a 12 cm deep container would be preferable since they stall out when the tap root hits something)

Soaked fresh beans from PH for ~18-24 hours in DI H2O, root popped out

Sowed root down in the CSS/Coir mix

Gave them a bit of bottom heat and some nice diffuse light

Transplant them up when they stall and as soon as reasonable into the ground for the best growth.

• Like 1

real anadenanthera seeds gemrinate within 5-10 days without scarfication/clipping/nicking. if your seed has a hard coat then it is not Anadenanthera.