The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
shruman

The Shonkys Homeopathy

"Natures Way Kids Smart Range

CHOICE's Shonky Awards name and shame the shonkiest rip-offs and shoddiest products being sold in Australia

The Shonky for Woo water goes to... Nature’s Way Kids Smart Natural Medicines

Shonky loves homeopathy. The idea of selling water for upwards of $1000 per litre and claiming it’s medicine represents the very essence of shonkiness. But convincing anxious or desperate parents they can use it to treat their children’s ailments takes it to a whole new level. Introducing the Nature’s Way Kids Smart Natural Medicine range, with variants for colds and flu, hay fever and runny nose, pain and fever, and for calming kids down. Already feather-whipped by the TGA for making unsubstantiated claims about the uses and effectiveness of the products, the company has done nothing to temper its assertions the products might actually do something.

Most of the homeopathic “ingredients” – and given the dilution factor, we use the term loosely – feature plant extracts, including strychnine and insecticidal Sabadilla, and arsenic. Stop. Rewind. Was that strychnine? They’re giving kids strychnine? Sure enough, the “Nux vomica 6C” in the “Calm” liquid is the homeopathic term for strychnine, in a dilution of one in a trillion.

To picture this 6C dilution in real terms, imagine you have an Olympic-size swimming pool full of water. Now take 20 such pools, and join them all together. Now put one drop of the strychnine “mother tincture” (the original liquid containing the now-discarded strychnine) in this mega pool, stir, and you have a 6C Nux vomica swimming pool. Worried? Well don’t be: this is further diluted in the bottle by a further one-thousandth.

Clearly the harm doesn’t come from the stuff itself – it’s effectively water with blackcurrant flavour. The harm comes from it doing nothing for your children in the expensive and mistaken belief you’re doing something.

As public health campaigner Dr Ken Harvey points out, “Symptoms like ‘restlessness, anxiety, irritability and agitation’ the ‘Calm’ claims to treat can be the symptoms of potentially serious childhood infectious diseases for which a homeopathic remedy is entirely inappropriate, and such misguided treatment might make a parent postpone seeking more appropriate medical advice to the child’s detriment.

"In my opinion, such promotion is dangerous and an affront to public health and medical science.”"

http://www.choice.co...mart-range.aspx

God damn homeopathy pisses me off & homeopathy for kids realy grinds my gears, its OK if you want to make an informed decision to pretend water is medicine or spout on about "water memory"

but to push this stuff on people who are unable to make an informed decision is a whole other thing.

Despite my rants to family members about homeopathy I have still had family buy this crap for my kids & even though I have explained it thouroughly why they would have been better off buying a bottle of evian (as overpriced as that is) the look on there face when you throw it in the bin still confounds me. Always on the reccomendation of "the girl at the chemist" & when asked its never the pharmacist. They always seem to put that level of seperation between them where only the checkout chick will reccomend homeopathy & never the chemist.

Enough of a rant on that for today Ggrrrrrhhh although some of the other crap makes the mind boggle, 224 L of water to wash 3.5kg of clothes?, & it still gets a 4 star rating WTF?

Edited by shruman
  • Like 5

And chemists selling magnetic overlays, pillows, etc... wtf. gah.

eating dinner tonight take away i was reading a free copy of the xpress magazine perth (our free paper to con gullible youths out of slave money)

i was stunnned to see for "just $230" tickets to SUMMADAYZE (a lame commercial con to con gullible youths out of slave money)

ok (i was once a gullible youth conned out of my slave money in 2000 and saw summadayze) the difference is i payed $50 and saw current relevant talent and at the time dance music was cool and upcoming, not stale and tired like it is today.

lets go through this years summadayze.......the chemical brothers - noooooooo not them again wont they go away

MIA - who?

fedde le grand - top 40 sometime, who remembers

mark ronson - he sells rasor blades i think

kimbra - huh?

booka shade - facebook status to friends that your lame

eddie halliwell - figured 10 years ago 3 deck were cool so now he spins 12 decks and isnt as cool as 10 years ago and never really made it did he ????

carl craig - fail

maya jane coles - will not make it past dec21st and likes it down down

disclosure - your ripping me off

adrian lux - likes getting blown by a hoover

erol alkan - tried to niche gay dance music but unfortunately my homosexual friends have never heard of him

break bot - goes to the toilet.....alot

fake blood - has issues with tomato sauce

hudson mohawke - unfortunately got aids via sharing hairdressing clippers

oh wait.....................................

PSY

ok ill admit i find psy current and kinda cheesy fun......but really are you going to tell anybody you went to see him and paid $230 for it. OMG hahahahaha

there are more but i think you get the point.

now go buy some drugs to actually enjoy that shit and run the gauntlet of police dogs you idiots that decide to lap up this shit. at the end of the day your gonna pay $500 bucks and probably never going to get into the USA with a visa to see the Chemical Brothers spin the same crap, oh for about the billionth time.................nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

The GOLD SHONKY goes to................................................................................................

...................................drum roll...............................................

SUMMADAYZE and anybody who is stupid enough to pay $230, you idiot.

• Like 1

and the silver SHONKY...goes to me, cos what the hell has my post above got to do with homeopathy, unless buying crap tickets to crap music and crap drugs that are probably just crap research chemicals actually qualifies as crap homeopathy. :wacko::wink:

and the silver SHONKY...goes to me, cos what the hell has my post above got to do with homeopathy, unless buying crap tickets to crap music and crap drugs that are probably just crap research chemicals actually qualifies as crap homeopathy. :wacko::wink:

Well yea, the crap music and drugs are equally watered down ;)

If the placebo effect still works in many people who know they are getting placebo, then why not give them cheap and harmless homeopathics for the same placebo benefits? Most antidepressants aren't better than placebo and we don't have any problem making those the 3rd largest medical industry.

Not that I advocate homeopathics, but in cases where they can cause no harm [eg where there is no other effective treatment] then why not make use of the placebo? Check out the recent research into positive nocebo effect for more on this.

My biggest problem is where the useless 'remedy' may cause harm by preventing proper treatment. Whether this is people who use rescue remedy for tick bites on dogs, or morons who use homeopathics to 'vaccinate' their kids. We should be focussing our fight against these problem products and leave gullible consumers to their deserved placebos.