The Corroboree
soulsvr

soft Cacti

SWIM Has a lopho fricii and the top is getting kinda soft. Well he unplanted the Cacti (Roots look excellant) Let them dry for 3 weeks repotted the cacti and watered. the cacti is still soft and getting softer.

Anyone who has messed with cacti know we cant hurry this process up, but this plant is 12 years old and swim doesnt want anything bad to happen to this baby. I dont know what to tell him.

He has tried every thing I know. so anyone else please giv me something to go by

Without pictures to confirm if there is any rotor anything going on it is likely that it is just thirsty. My lophs and cacti go a bit soft in between waterings if i leave them too long, this is because there isn't much moisture in them so they are shrivelling slightly.

however please dont give it a good water just in case this isn't the reason

SWIM Has a lopho fricii and the top is getting kinda soft. Well he unplanted the Cacti (Roots look excellant) Let them dry for 3 weeks repotted the cacti and watered. the cacti is still soft and getting softer.

Anyone who has messed with cacti know we cant hurry this process up, but this plant is 12 years old and swim doesnt want anything bad to happen to this baby. I dont know what to tell him.

He has tried every thing I know. so anyone else please giv me something to go by

I see you are based in USA how cold is it at the moment? It could be going into dormancy.

Cheers

Got

• Like 1

its pretty warmish but yea, gettin coooold :P

just as ours waking up :D

Ah, i should read the locations more often. I often forget that there are many users on here from abroad.

Hi Soulsvr, i think i need to see a pic but i have the feeling your having something fungal going on. I would buy purely mineralistic soil like sand, pumice and stuff and mix in some calcium and use that as new soil, then sprinkle it with powdered sulphur and keep it dry. But there are other possibilities so a pic wouldnt be that bad.

• Like 1

Sorry to hijack but I'm going through this too.

I picked up a Loph today that is suffering from something similar. I knew it was sick but the price was right so I couldn't resist.

I'd planned to get it home and soak the roots in a 2% H202 solution and then re-pot in a light airy mineral based mix high in perlite. After that I was planning on giving it a very mild H202 solution (0.5%) at each watering once the soil had dried out completely. I've seen this tactic revive some really sick plants suffering from fungal attack.

That was the plan, but I got it home and almost all the roots are fucked and the plant is very soft. :(

Now it looks like it will be a salvage mission.

My plant is a caesp. so I might have to attempt to rescue some of the smaller offsets and attempt to re-gen them on Peres.

You need to cut a whole lot off of this if you want to save anything. I would probably graft and powder it with sulfur. But i am not so sure if i wouldnt be better to cut off everything rotten, powder it and leave it till the infection stopped. Cutting increases chances of re-infection so you need to cut off with safetydistance and keep a very good eye on this if you decide to do this. Chances are 50/50.

Hey efildim

these plants are indoors under lights. so the temps are changing but not like they wood naturally. Swim watered it really good today. if the problem doesnt take care of itself rather quickly, I will get swim to unpot it again and take lotsa pics.

looking at it the cacti is blemish free. no black spots.

Swim has been working with CACTI at least 25 years. so he is not a beginner. it has him stooped. Ill be back next week with some pics if necessary.

I got SWIM to unpot this again. The green part is still soft. the root is nice and firm. I took some pictures for him hoping to get some help before he looses it. It is suppose to be a L.w. fricci. take a look and let me know what you think.post-11811-0-86443600-1351735542_thumb.j

post-11811-0-64017000-1351735559_thumb.j

post-11811-0-47516000-1351735567_thumb.j

post-11811-0-16368600-1351735577_thumb.j

post-11811-0-86443600-1351735542_thumb.jpg

post-11811-0-64017000-1351735559_thumb.jpg

post-11811-0-47516000-1351735567_thumb.jpg

post-11811-0-16368600-1351735577_thumb.jpg

post-11811-0-86443600-1351735542_thumb.jpg

post-11811-0-64017000-1351735559_thumb.jpg

post-11811-0-47516000-1351735567_thumb.jpg

post-11811-0-16368600-1351735577_thumb.jpg

Edited by soulsvr