The Corroboree

Are these caapi cuttings dying ?

Two weeks ago I visited a friend and took some cuttings from his caapi. I went home and planted it in regular potting mix.

The cuttings got a fair bit of sun during the first week and dropped all their leaves so I brought them inside next to a large glass door where it gets partial sun.

Its been 2 weeks so far and although it is not super crunchy dry it is not growing anything back.

Just wonder if you guys can look at the pic and know if these cuttings are dead and if not let me know what can i do to make them grow.

Super thanks and happy long weekend

:)

Edited: sorry english not my native tongue :P

Edited by 8145

I have no Caapi exp. But that plant looks 80% dead.

The pot size is pretty small by the looks of it ...

Hope im wrong!

is the clay or stones only on the surface of the soil?

caapi needs good drainage and a slightly sour, rich soil. At the best put some charcoal to the mix, like in Terra Preta.

maybe a treatment with amino acids, fulvic acid and rock lychnis extract could help.

cut back the stems step by step in short pieces to see if there is any green life in them. Stop when you see a green colour.

is the clay or stones only on the surface of the soil?

caapi needs good drainage and a slightly sour, rich soil. At the best put some charcoal to the mix, like in Terra Preta.

maybe a treatment with amino acids, fulvic acid and rock lychnis extract could help.

cut back the stems step by step in short pieces to see if there is any green life in them. Stop when you see a green colour.

Yeah only in the surface. There is Green on the steams still. The pot is just temporary though

i would not give up the hope, caapi has a great will to survive

give your yagé a well drained soil with clay-granulate or pumice or diatomite or gravel, and for example with earthworm-humus, but keep it sour

a humidity- tent from a plastic bag will also be helpful, but not necessary

Edited by mindperformer

I put mine in Searles premium potting mix, and a big pot, and it's doing really well.

I'd also say maybe cut back the dead bits? Just so the plant isn't wasting energy trying to save its tips and can put that energy to use in growing from it's base.

EDIT: Maybe also ditch the stones on the surface - that particular kind at least I know holds on to water and can stop enough of it getting through to the plant. I'd imagine smooth river pebbles would be better if you must have something like that, but I don't really see why you'd need it in such a growing situation as this.

Edited by gtarman

...didn't try Searles because in Europe you can't get it, but according to their site it has an interesting composition.

I would cut back the dead bits, but no green internode.

Which stones did you use? Normal quartz- like stones don't hold water, but pumice and diatomite does...

^^ from what I can tell the stones in the picture are a common kind of porous landscaping gravel here in Australia, although I don't know the exact mineral name or composition or anything like that.

I could be wrong...but if they are the ones I'm thinking of, they're actually very porous, and probably shouldn't be used for mulch.

They are just crushed terracotta or clay I put it there cos i like the look and feel of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terracotta

Caapi update only one survived better than nothing i guess

I also use Terracotta, the smaller red granulate from seramis, but I mix it in the soil for drainage

I also use Terracotta, the smaller red granulate from seramis, but I mix it in the soil for drainage

I mix it for drainage too but i like to put some terracota on the surface just because the colour remind me of south american countries like Paraguay where the soil is so red.

I see, yes the soil in the tropics is often red because of the iron which remains in the rain-washed laterite-soils because it bonded in unsoluble compounds.