The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Quixote

Calcium build-up in pots?

I live in a city with lots of calcium in the tap water. Can't help but wonder if that's a problem for growing a cactus in a pot indoors - every time I water the cactus, the calcium content in the soil increases, and I suppose it leads to alkaline levels increasing.

If this a problem, and what can be done to prevent it? Adding lemon juice or another weak acid to the water maybe?

Can you get access to rain water? maybe setting up a water tank outside.

Unfortunately can't get access to rain water.. living in the middle of the city :/

I had a similar problem and just resorted to buying bottled water, and asking my parents to fill the empties up with their tank water when they could. It worked well, and the plants loved it. :)

lol, well u should be doing this anyways because they just love it, but if u arn't. Piss on them.

• Like 2

The water in our town is shocking, all our taps get covered in that white gunk. The acid in a nice yellow pee should clean out some of the calcium build up aswel as fertilise the pot. Kill two birds with one stone.

Our tap water is very basic pH ~ 9.3, but the fertilizer I use drops the pH to 6 - 6.5. I also use rainwater treated with a little bit of calcium carbonate. I dunk my pots in a bucket of fertilizer water and adjust the pH of the fert. water back up to 7 or 8 with calcium carbonate. If the pH is too high, or scaling on the pots or soil becomes a problem, I just drop the pH back down to 6 for a few waterings until the bucket water is back in range. Don't think the calcium carbonate buildup is much of a problem for me atleast... the calcium carbonate helps buffer the fert water to pH 7-8 and my trichos are much healthier and rot resistant when watered with pH 7-8 as opposed to pH 6-6.5. Haven't pissed in the fert water yet :wink: maybe they'd really like it!

Maybe the cactus would love a bit of piss, but I'm not sure the smell would do wonders for my living room :)

Havent been able to find a decent and affordable pH-testing device, so I dont know if its a problem yet. Maybe I could just re-pot them every year and get rid fo the calcified soil.

Anyone here know what the perfect pH for Trichocereus Pachanoi is?

Can't say that its the perfect pH test... :huh: You could probably test the water you give the cactus vs. the runoff water if you have pH strips or can get the pH indicator drops. That should tell you if your soil is more acidic or basic than your feeding water. I've also heard of people soaking a small soil sample in DI water, and then testing the pH of that water... never tried it personally. Have used the pH probe before, but the glass electrode always wears out over time no matter how well its treated. Now I just use Gen Hydro drops, they're cheap and pretty reliable.

• Like 1

Can't say that its the perfect pH test... :huh:

Well I was asking about the perfect pH-value, not the perfect pH-test, but thanks anyway :)

Personally, I like the pH slightly basic for t. pach around 7 to 8 to prevent root rot since my climate is more humid than natural habitat. My t. pach seem healthier with slightly basic water, whereas the t. peru and t. bridge are more robust and seem fine from pH 6 - 8. Maybe just have some picky t. pach cuttings... who knows :wacko:

• Like 1

I read elsewhere that Pachanoi prefers slightly alkaline soil, so I guess "hard" water should be ok for at least some time, a season or two. Then I can repot anyway.

Edited by Quixote