The Corroboree

San Pedro flowering in a pot by the window?

Quixote

I have been wondering if it's possible to make a San Pedro flower if it's growing all year round in a flowerpot in a window?

There's something about the temperature that needs to drop in the winter for some time, but how long exactly, and how cold must it be?

Could it be possible to leave the window slightly open during autumn nights and make the cactus flower that way?

Or does it need to have very cold temperatures around the clock for months? That would not be practical indoors

if its regularly fertilised I can't see why it won't flower, once its a certain size. I would think at least 50-70 cms. I'm not sure if cold temps are that significant, Cacti are very adaptive plants.

Trichos need a cold and dark winter period so if you keep em in the warm house all year round, they wont flower. Also they need large pots with good rootrun to flower. And lots of nutrients. But if you make sure all the just mentioned things are available, they will most likely flower.

• Like 1

EG what sort of cold are we talking to get regular flowers? Or do you think it just needs a definite swing in temp or is it a day length issue? We have 10 degree shifts in bottom temp where I am from say 20s + at night in the warmer months to about a stock 10 degrees at night in winter. I know a few people here have said there Trichocereus haven't flowered in 4 years etc but I assumed they may be lacking something in the soil?

I might try and force flower a big piece of PC pach I have, hit it with every Canna product I can find lol.

Edited by Stillman

Hi Stillman, yes the reason some cacti dont flower in some tropical regions is because they dont receive a similar cold and dark period in winter. Just take a look at the climate in the andes and try to mimique it. Temperatures there can get substantially cold, even down to short nightfrosts of -5 to +5 degree celsius. Its not a co-incidence most Trich´s are able to withstand frost to minus 7 degrees and some maybe even a bit more for short periods of time. I guess you´ll need to rubb your cacti with some icecubes.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 3

Yeah you know, i didnt have a very good breeding season this year with very few flowerings as i overwinter my cacti in my cellar where the central heating is. Will need to make sure its colder down there to get them to their full flowering potential.

Edited by Evil Genius

Oh sure, light, darkness, hot & cold all play specific roles, but what made my trichs literally explode with flowers this year?

Why not last year? Or the year before? Even this last winter was warmer than normal.

Late winter, early spring rains were the same as previous years.

The only defining difference between this year and all previous years was I paid attention to weather reports of impending thunder showers and went out & hoed up the ground around my trich plants & then tossed out liberal amounts of bone meal. & then let the rains soak it in. I did that at least twice in the early spring this year.

I've already had one full flush of flowers, yet new buds & flowers continue to form.

pic taken 7-20-12, t. peru, some flowers were crossed w/ juuls giant.

pic taken 9-1-12, same plant viewed from the opposite side

This is just one of 6 or 7 varieties that continues to pump out new buds & flowers.

• Like 5

Yeah adequate nutrient supply and a reliable water input to bring em to the roots is certainly essential! In the past years i didnt know shit about adequate fertilisation because i notoriously underfertilised them. Now that i pump them during the main growth season, they exploded and started putting out pups too. Btw, i totally like the way you label your crosses! Still need to figure a reliable way out to do that. I used plastic labels that i stuck into the pot but as soon they fall out you are fucked because you need to guess to which flower it belonged.

• 1 month later...

Sure they can flower in pots. They need to get rootbound and reach a certain root maturity first.

Most people will never get to see them flower in containers due to repotting them.

I don't think its temperature related for pachanoi since it grows in Ecuador and assorted frost free zones and flowers fine.

Edited by trucha
  • Like 2

I don't think its temperature related for pachanoi since it grows in Ecuador and assorted frost free zones and flowers fine.

I don't think anybody said they needed frost as such, just 'low' temperatures? If they need lower than 20 degrees C then I will find it difficult to achieve that in my livingroom...