The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
DarkSpark

Good device for chopping bulk herbs ?

I am wondering if anyone has any idea of a decent device that isn't too overpriced for being able to chop pretty large amounts of dried herb. I have approximately 3kgs of dried lactuca and down the track a few months will have the same of a fair few others i have mass planted, i largely destem the herbs first so it will only be chopping dried leafy materials. I had thought possibly a small mulcher but i would really want something on a bit smaller scale than that.

Could you just buy a cheap blender from a second hand shop?

There could be some inconsistancy in the size they are cut to, but it would be cheap as chips.

a $25 Magic Bullet blender rip off from the cheapo shops.

They are great for making granita's, grinding oats and lots of other things around the house as well.

Could you just buy a cheap blender from a second hand shop?

There could be some inconsistancy in the size they are cut to, but it would be cheap as chips.

I didn't see your post. Great minds think alike :)

put it all in a tub and hit it with a whipper snipper? aka giant hand blender?

• Like 1

Or here's a few more depending on budget and 'manual handpower'

Herb Scissors - cheap - lots of hand power

post-11189-0-97765800-1345772126_thumb.j

Microplane "Easy Prep Series" Herb Mill - Approx $20

post-11189-0-76223100-1345772257_thumb.j

Or here's a really expensive tobacco cutter - probly not what you want but the pic is cool!

http://www.wickedhab...16/96834/577337

Or your standard cheap shop electric coffee grinder, but you're not gonna get very good consistency...

post-11189-0-97765800-1345772126_thumb.jpg

post-11189-0-76223100-1345772257_thumb.jpg

post-11189-0-97765800-1345772126_thumb.jpg

post-11189-0-76223100-1345772257_thumb.jpg

i can imagine chopping up 3kg of lactuca will be fairly hard going with hand scissors :P

• Like 1

cheers for the suggestions, and yes i am hoping hand scissors were for a laugh. The whipper snipper idea may work, big plastic tub with a hole cut in the lid so i can fit the head in LOL.

Yeah, we have a blender here i was going to try but i would rather have something specifically for doing my herbs in as the wife loves her blender. I will go for a wander when i have some cash next and try to find a nice beasty old food processor. i could probably fit around 500g dried at a time in an average food processor the trouble is that most only chop the stuff at the bottom they need "helicopter" type blades to pull the stuff from the top to the bottom. So i am going to try and find a wide but squat food processor to TRY avoid the issues that blenders offer me.

For the stuff in a few months i have decided to invest in a small mulcher as i will be trying to use the stem remains as mulch anyway. Plus i will likely be a lot less picky with stem removal doing a few kgs at a time. From this state i can further blend if required.

edit:1 hehe "The Poppy Seeder" there are some good options on there i had thought of something like the parley mills we had used something along those lines when chopping up a certain other substance at a mates one time. Although it soprayed chunks everywhere LOL

edit2: just checked out the first link too. i am sure to find something between the two. hoping for someone who has experience with any to be able to recommend one though :) Although i don't need a mill now some are so cheap i may consider it as i am sure i can find uses. If not i will just grind us fresh grains for bread lol

edit3: MWAHAHAHAHAA this one looks dangerous

automatic_hammer-mill_herb_grinder_Branches_grinder.jpg

Edited by DarkSpark

If you have a look in 2nd hand shop, keep an eye out for a brand called 'vitamixer', I have one my parents brought when I was little and its the grunty-est little machiene ever, it sounds like a motorbike but has helicopter blades and would do the trick perfectly.

If you have really heaps to chop up a chaff cutter is the go, Lots of times old hand ones go for next to nothing I gave mine away a year ago.