The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
incognito

acacia dealbata

silver wattle,acacia dealbata,,refered to as mimosa in europe,,grows at 900m above sea level.

our tafe garden is chokas with em,,,theres a rumour circulating they ARE active,,,was wondering about those-in-the-know's thoughts!!!!!

heres wishing!!!

thanks

jono

its an environmental weed in some parts of australia

would be nice if it is

might encourage removal

thanks rev :)

If it was legal, maybe the best way to test would be with a MAOI.

That way there's no need for an extraction or taking heaps.

the bark does not contain any noticable amount of ANY alkaloids.

thanks guys,,i think the teaching staff is fuckin' wit me!!! however there are heaps of acacia spp here in the central west,,we are literally surrounded,,maybee mescalito will giv me a hand classifying them :D ,,torsten and rev u guys would prob. already know the actives that grow here,,anyways ill do my best and let u all know!!!

lol the teaching staff are telling you about active acacias? Hang on a sec while I cancel my uni degree :P

quote:

If it was legal, maybe the best way to test would be with a MAOI.

That way there's no need for an extraction or taking heaps.

I know people have done it before without apparent ill-effect, but consuming a bark brew without extraction could be dangerous.

This is particularly true with untried species as there may be some toxic nasty (cyanide for example)in there that would be removed by an A/B.

However, most/all acacias have an extremely high tannin content (up to 30%) in their bark, and tannins are not good for you in large amounts (they are part of the plants defense system).

Damage to the gastrointestinal system is possible, as is potassium depletion due to the tannin in your intestines sucking it out of your blood and binding it into an insoluble complex. Particularly if accompanied by fasting, vomiting or diarhoea, this can cause a serious drop in plasma [K+] and death by heart failure.

Depletion of other metals could also occur.

An A/B isn't that difficult and minimizes the risk involved particularly with untried species.

Taking a MAOI with a known drug is dangerous enough, but taking it with a wild card is definitely not smart. There are many alkaloids in acacias and many are VERY toxic!!

yep our teachers are pretty cool,,i think they had a pretty big 60's,,one of em ive conned into growing some blue :cool: lotus for me which is wicked!!

they are all very interested in topics ethnobotanical,,head teacher there swears by powdered milk for maryjane growth..any fact in that???anyways enuff about tafe!!.....