The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Bigred

antibiotics in agar

i was wanting to improve my tek and ad antibiotics in agar something like gentamicin or something similar can anybody recomend if and how to use and where i could get it from like a chemist

Im pretty sure gentimicin is only availible via perscription, that makes things a bit harder but not impossible.

Edited by BentoSpawn

Most antibiotics are heat sensitive so you will need to mix them in at the very last moment, however you need to match the antibiotic to your contamins, and the risk of making antibiotic resistant strains is fairly good.

You are far better off using lots of plates, H2O2 and isolating a clean piece of myc away from the contaminants

thanks shorty your right i should be working on a more sterile technique h2o2 what strength would you recomend

Do you wan to mix the h2o2 in the agar ? Or want to do the dunk method ?

I hear the dunk method shocks the myc so it stalls growth on the agar, this gives the chance for other contaminates to get a head start on the myc.

Havent read much about mixing the h202 in with the agar though, id be keen to read more about the pros and cons of that.

I havent messed with agar, but it certainly seems very interesting !

I use 1ml of H2O2 to 100ml of agar & should be added when the agar is about 55°C

It doesn't stop all contaminants but it slows most of the common offenders just enough to give you and the Myc a head start.

I only dunk when i have a largish wild chunk i want to clone from that is likely contaminated with every nasty known to man a few that aren't.

cheers guys i have been using colloidal silver with h2o2 in live cultures and had great succes but i had mass faliures as well

do you think i could use it in agar or just stick to the plain h202

I dont see why colloidal silver couldnt go into agar personally, its relativly stable and should survive being pc. Id mix it in the agar before PC stage personally. The anti-bacterial properties should help hold back contams imho :) keep us updated on your experiments, i am keen to hear results!

Edit: Did a little bit of reading on how h2o2 reacts with silver, turns out silver can be used as a catalyst with h2o2. Perhaps this combination might work even better than he sum of its parts :)

Jury is still out on this one however!

Edited by BentoSpawn