The Corroboree

I've been having a look at the music made by some forum members here and I've really liked what i've heard. I thought I'd post some stuff I'm playing with at the moment because people here are open minded and might like it more than the friends I've played it to!

My friends (and girlfriend) have been pretty brutal with their criticism. I've been told it's "wanky", "wallpaper", and lacking sonic density.

But hey, I make tunes because I really enjoy listening to and playing with music, so I can accept those comments!

Here you go:

http://soundcloud.com/tepalom/fun-beat

http://soundcloud.com/tepalom/in-the-lobby

• Like 3

nice work! particularly like the second one

cool i like them they have a very realaxing quality to them

Thanks, guys!

Here's one more (my favourite one) and then I'm having a break from music playing around with -ing, because I can feel my cycle of creativity going to seed. I've been messing around with trackers for years, but I tend to go through cycles like 3 months on, 9 months off. Before this burst of creativity I didn't touch my software for about a year and half...

Anyway, here:

http://soundcloud.com/tepalom/revival

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments guys/girls.

Meshuggah: I'm really just learning how to balance the frequencies and use reverb/delay/etc properly, so there's heaps I am yet to understand. I've been given some great advice recently and am just now trying to implement it into future tracks. Thanks for the feedback!

Just listened to your track. Very unique blend of sounds - like Robert Rich or Steve Roach mixed with Trent Reznor!!

It's beautifully balanced and the percussion is suitably driving for the tribal aspect of the piece. I can definitely say I like it, but there's not a jot of advice I could give in return because you're way ahead of me with the track production!

Yeah!! bring on da bass :lol: Nice chilled morning tune. Having a coffee and smoke and loving it. Great work.

I have removed old tracks and put some new ones on Soundcloud, so here's a link if anyone is interested in hearing some amateur electronic music which isn't dubstep or house. If you do have a listen, don't expect anything like you'd hear in a club, or anything remotely professional sounding. I just like melodies and emotive tunes.

Through the 90s I listened to Orbital, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Future Sound of London, and others. I like lots of different types of music, not only electronic. Most of the 2000s I spent listening to jazz fusion, light rock, and pop. I am a big Steely Dan fan. But I'll listen to almost anything. I've really enjoyed listening to the stuff that some of the SAB users have put on Soundcloud. There's some really good stuff on there which is so much more interesting and inspiring than the stuff you get on mainstream radio or TV. For anyone who's new to the forum, or who hasn't had a listen, check out Howling Cloud's tracks on Soundcloud.

I like hearing different and/or new things. I especially like stuff which is either melodic or atmospheric (or both). These days I'm either getting too old or my ears are damaged or something, but I generally can't handle fast and aggressive electronic stuff with heaps of exploding, distorting FX and screaming or repetitive vocal samples. As far as fast and intense electronic goes, I think I maxed out with Venetian Snares in early to mid-2000s. That was the last time I could devote time to having my ears shredded by super fast, chaotic percussion - totally worth it in the case of Venetian Snares because he's made some of the most disturbing and memorable stuff I've ever heard, but I can't handle it any more.

Soooooo anyway, here's a track and a link to more if anyone's interested:

http://soundcloud.com/tepalom/divide-demo

http://soundcloud.com/tepalom

• Like 1

really like it man! :) got a bit of a BoC vibe even, and to be honest until they release more music there's a huge gap for that kinda vibe in my life haha

all sounds good to my ear production-wise btw, but i listen to and appreciate a lot of lofi music and non-slick electronica too. shouldn't excuse yourself for it i reckon, it gives human-ness too your music (or maybe that's just my excuse :P)

it gives human-ness too your music (or maybe that's just my excuse

hehe that's my excuse too! But there's truth in it, because as I say there are no end of amazingly produced techno/house/dubstep tracks out there, but they often sound pretty generic and just don't get any emotional response from me.

And I'm very happy if you get a Boards of Canada vibe from the tunes. I loved their albums (still do).

Thanks to everyone who had a listen. There will be more soonish. I'm always working on something - it keeps me out of trouble :innocent_n:

hehe that's my excuse too! But there's truth in it, because as I say there are no end of amazingly produced techno/house/dubstep tracks out there, but they often sound pretty generic and just don't get any emotional response from me.

That's an excellent mindset IMO. Anyone can take a single tone and a mod wheel and make noises. However they are often lacking. Great that youre thinking about structure, and as ajna would say, 'the journey' or 'story'.

And I'm very happy if you get a Boards of Canada vibe from the tunes. I loved their albums (still do).

Maybe he was referring to Blue Oyster Cult :o

Keep up the good work, Halif

• Like 1

Really digging Galaxy for later. What DAW are you using for your production?

Thanks!

I'm using a tracker called Renoise. I don't think it's especially popular. It has a steep learning curve but is very flexible once you get into it. It has lots of great inbuilt filters so you can get creative with even a fairly limited sample set.

I've been working on something completely different from my usual vibe.

It's a kind of RnB style instrumental thing. Chill, tinkling pianos, simple beat.

It's fun to try and branch out a bit. Have a listen if ye would like:

http://soundcloud.com/tepalom/stage-child

sounding very dreamy :) nothing I can really say bad about this one!

• Like 1

Thanks for the positive comments!

I'm working on a set of tunes with a kind of similar vibe, and have been processing some very helpful feedback from people on Soundcloud and this forum - especially Psylo!

There are so many super slick and hi-tech sounding electronic tracks on Soundcloud and elsewhere, and heaps of talented people out there making all kinds of weird and awesome tunes. It's a great time to be getting into (or back into) music of all genres.

I feel like there's a bit of a deficit of melody in the electronic genre, though. Guess it's a personal taste thing, but I would love to hear more emotion and harmony in electronic music.

I'm sure there's loads of great stuff out there that I haven't discovered yet, and in the meantime I'm more than happy to keep myself busy following the talent on Soundcloud. But I'm greedy and want more!

Anyone want to share any melodic electronic acts they've been listening to and enjoying? Especially ones that incorporate instruments in their compositions?