The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
marsha

i am surrounded by acacia where do i start ?

Acacia colei upright shrub to 4m small along creek lines

Acacia cowleana shrub/ small tree to 5m small sandplains, creek lines

Acacia adsurgens upright shrub to 3m small sandplains, dunefields

Acacia stipuligera upright shrub to 3m small sandplains

Acacia dictyophleba bushy shrub to 2.5m small dunefields, sandplains

Acacia victoriae bushy shrub to 3m small creek lines, sandplains

Acacia tumida small tree or shrub to 6m large sandplains, dunefields

Acacia eriopoda small tree or shrub to 5m large creek lines, sandplains

Acacia coriacea small spreading tree to 3m large sandplains, dunefields

Acacia jennerae upright small tree to 4m large creek lines

Acacia torulosa small tree to 5m large dunefields

i found this on http://www.ffp.csiro.au/publicat/articles/seedsav.htm

a progect where aboriginal people along with the scientists are collecting seed to grow possibly for africa for foods apparently the seeds are quite healthy

probarbly make for a nice campfire for a warm and starry night? hmmm i wonder would this have an effect?

"Grasses and wattles were the two most important plant groups used for their seeds. Devitt found the uses of 49 Acacia species as food sources to be documented. Of these, most provided edible seed. Acacias also provide edible gums, lerps, nectar, ash for mixing with tobacco, and medicinal ingredients. Some are hosts to galls of wasp larvae and others to larger, edible grubs such as the witchetty grub, which is found in the roots of Acacia kempeana, the witchetty bush. Mulga (A. aneura) is associated with the well-known honey ant " (from the above link)

<small>[ 24. March 2005, 04:24: Message edited by: YoWiE ]</small>

Edited by YoWiE

Definitely cool.

Try and collect lots of seed! Make sure it's as properly identified as you can.

Send some this way, I'm sure many other people on this forum would love to grow some also.

also if your not 100% certain write so on packet

have read that acacia tears are one of the highest concentrates of energy you can get... but im still not sure if this means the seeds (which i presume it does?) or another part... eitehr way they very good for u

A "DMT" test kit would be great to bring along too

"dmt" test kit how does this work ?

Grasshopper :rolleyes:

Whereabouts in that illustrious nation do you live, orb? Surely there's something that will suit your climate, unless you're in the north I guess.

Orb:

Anchorage, Alaska. I don't think there is much in your climate close to ourse.

perfect climat for a acacia phlebophylla,

overwinter indoors but cold, facing the sun...

no limitations plz,

often if i search plant names henriettas pages come up, and she lives arctic.

i used to grow, in cold climats all you need is a indoor grow room and and sunny window sills.

at winter time you put the cacti, solani and many others plants in the cellar, no big deal.

phragmites australis might be very frost hardy, and could be overwintered aswell in a cold cellar or place with basicly no light!!

happy growing.

planthelper:

planthelper:

Anchorage, Alaska. I don't think there is much in your climate close to ourse.

perfect climat for a acacia phlebophylla,

overwinter indoors but cold, facing the sun...

no limitations plz,

often if i search plant names henriettas pages come up, and she lives arctic.

i used to grow, in cold climats all you need is a indoor grow room and and sunny window sills.

at winter time you put the cacti, solani and many others plants in the cellar, no big deal.

phragmites australis might be very frost hardy, and could be overwintered aswell in a cold cellar or place with basicly no light!!

happy growing.

btw @ orb,

some people inspired by your work use now toluene instead of naphta, and report faster cleaning action, the threads i mean are @ thenook.

question, did you ever try the water (mister) wash first methode?

planthelper:

...some people inspired by your work use now toluene instead of naphta, and report faster cleaning action, the threads i mean are @ thenook.

question, did you ever try the water (mister) wash first methode?

I will check out thenook site later, but I didn't know tolulene had the same kind of characteristics as shellite or Naphtha and Hexane, are you saying that salvinorin is not soluble to tolulene either?

Regarding your question of water wash, I think I understand what you are saying. Here is what I do, as soon as all of the solvent is evaporated out from an extraction but still wet with moisture from either the one percent water content of 99% IPA or wet from water condensation from rapid evaporation I will immediately wash the extract solids with a few ounces of water which does a good job at removing additional amounts of tannin. You can filter the tannin out of the fluid, or wait for it to fall out first before evaporation, but in my experience there will still be a fair amount of it in the dried extract. Washing the extract this way only works if you catch it before it congeals or is still wet, after it completely dries into a clumpy waxy solid my experience is that the tannin can't be washed out of the extract with water until you remove most of the waxy lipids fats using solvents first, and then of course drying again so that all of the solvent is out of it before trying to water wash the tannin out of the extract.

getting back to topic...

Acaciaphlebophylla2.jpg

I found this pic on shaman-australis, that is a nice looking acacia phlebophylla bush, I don't know how big these bushes get, but I probably don't have enough space to be hauling something like that indoors (assuming it can grow to a large bush), plus I wouldn't have the heart to do anything with it. If they lived in the wild or could sustain themselves out doors where I could grow lots of them then that would be a different matter for me, but to harm a slow growing pet bush for harvest, I couldn't do it. Because we get -30 to -40 degree C. temps here for at least two weeks strait, some times longer other years, my take on it is that this kind of bush wouldn't make it on it's own through the winter here. Since I live in south central Alaska in the city of Anchorage near the water, the winters are moderated to warmer temperatures than the interior of Alaska which are much more severe and longer lasting, remaining at below -40 C. for seveal months strait every year.

[ 26. March 2005, 19:41: Message edited by: Orb ]

but your sommerdays get very long in the arctic and your plant growth at that time would be enormous.

no pests at your place either...

growing your own plants, helps you to get a deeper relation and friendship with plants, thats why i was so pushy for you to have a try.

:)

Is the acacia phlebophylla the best suited for my climate by a long spread, or are there others which might also survive?

phlebophylla is rare and hard to obtain,

it seems to be the cold hardierst of all dmt containing acacias. aswell this acacia is difficult to grow in cultivation, which doesn't mimic it's natural enviroment.

but my gut feeling is that, phlebo cultivation in the artics is possible (overwinter at minus 5 deg c?). an other reason for promoting this plant specialy is the fact that it represents some type of holy grail status in the ethno world...

desmanthus illinoensis might be another candidate...

or you could try grow some phalaris spp. over the summer...

anyway, i have to admit that i get often very enthusiastic, leaving the reality allmost behind.

it is certainly not easy to grow, in the artics, but the thought of a person like you living without any ethno plantfriends around, is a sobering one.

growing acacias in the alaska,

what was i thinking, lol.

i got you motivated though! :D

so on a more serious calculation,

i would look into growing peyote cacti on your indoor windowsill.

eureka- brainstorm, one plant just crossed my mind which would grow where you live, but it's activety on humans is not known to me.

i talk about actinidia arguta!!!

sorry 4 the hijack.

[ 29. March 2005, 07:03: Message edited by: planthelper ]

If I get some seeds, I will give it a try. Thanks, yes, grasses grow very well here.

I went and found some mean records for the temps experienced around here in the winter

-5 degrees C. is +23 degrees F.

[ 05. April 2005, 20:18: Message edited by: Orb ]

Here is a picture taken less than 35 miles from my house. Mountains everywhere around me too. This photo appears to have been taken in early fall.

.jpg

Please excuse me for hyjacking the thread too..

[ 05. April 2005, 20:18: Message edited by: Orb ]

this pictures remind me of fossicking trips in alpine regions for example, emeralds at habachtal, took me years to forget, thx for reminding me about "big snowcapped mountains"....

one thing i remeber vivid, if ou walk down a mountain you get a strong sensation of wellbeing,

suddendly your blood get's more O2 and you feel very strong...

Yowie try the victoriae first

and if u can check out the coriacea

its always been one of my fav acacias :)

and itd be nice to know if shes hiding extra personality from me

[ 02. April 2005, 02:43: Message edited by: Rev ]

no probs rev im onto it ill take pics and collect seed it is a lil hard atmo cos none seem to be flowering when would they ussually flower? and can any one reccomend a good site to see pics to help me with the identification thanks heaps :)

how can i put pics on my post that i photographed??? forgive me i am computer illiterate

There is gallery that links from the SAB main page. You have to register with it and then you can upload pics very easily.

excellent thanks rev i have found heaps and heaps of accacia victorae it is everywhere wooo hooo hmmm i will trade it by the tonne for Lophophoras :) seriously tho by the map it looks like it is everywhere. anyway i took some photos of a few different acacias? flowering along the path to my work but even with digital camera the pics are a lil blurry i will take some more this weekend and do my best to post for ppl to have a peek. i am hardly a chemist nor botanist but if it is any use to someone serious ill bundle some of them up and send through the mail so they can make pretty lil ornaments :)

[ 23. April 2005, 08:19: Message edited by: YoWiE ]

can i suggest that you print off the data and the top diagram for each species

those 'cards' are excellnet refernces as the highlight the distinguishing characteristics of the species

using those you should be able to discern the species

maidenii is an example

before maidenii and all teh look alikes were confusing - but now i know what to look for its dead easy