The Corroboree
Bread Filter

Help Save My Catha's

and on top zelly is making it look, for beginners, like prunning would have saved them.

I didn't interpret Zelly's post that way PH, I read it as just a question about pruning in general and not a recommendation to save them.

No-one's questioned the health of your plants either, we all know they are top quality.

I've had a few bad batches of yates mix and I'm very wary of it, maybe it got an overdose of ferts at manufacture time ?

You can't wrong with Searles mixes

that's because you are experienced.

but for some people who read the first time about catha in this thread, there is a chance they would.

and i'm tiered of all this trouble i recieve, when all i do is probably a darn good job growing and advice vice.

the problem with the internet is, that one can easely misinterpret said things.

and i got every right to be upset, if inexperienced people, stuff up, and than make it look like, my plants were at fault.

if i had to start this topic, i would right away say, i'm pretty sure there was nothing wrong with planthelpers plants, but what did i do wrong?

growing those plants did take many months.

wrapping the parcel 2h.

going to the post office 30min.

answering questions in this thread, 3h.

and for all of this, i get zilch appreciation, but lot's of grief.

Hi guys, I think there's been a misunderstanding - Planthelper, I don't think Bread Filter is accusing you of misdeeds, it's clear your plants were strong and healthy, and Bread Filter - Planthelper loves his Catha and he wants to see them do well, also he is very proud so he gets upset if he thinks people are accusing him.

The written word is a bit easy to misunderstand, it always looks more aggressive than the intention, I think.

Thanks heaps for that post Whitewind. Very much appreciated.

that's correct, i gave it away cheap, and than even cheaper, and said it's ok.

but you say here, you spent a lot of money!

maybe a lot, but not regarding what you recieved.

onlookers, might read it, ph is expensive, and thats not true.

stopp being a pain, i help you and all i get is trouble.

i will pray tonight, give bf a green thumb overnight.

I understand how you have misunderstood what I have written. I have never said that you are expensive just that I have spent a lot of money with you over the years.

How am I being a pain? I asked for some advice in the thread then you come in and jump all over me. I am trying to resolve this amicably but you keep trolling me. If anyone is being a pain here it is you Planthelper.

Your supposed to be a Moderator. You should know better. You have not handled this well at all.

• Like 4

you are inexperienced, but manage to make me look bad, i'm not happy.

i hope you soon say thank you, to the people who tried to help you in this thread.

Do you mean like this?

thanks for the tip. There is nothing visible on them and the rest of my plants in the bathroom are fine.

Thanks mate. That means a lot.

The other Catha's are thriving in the bathroom. They can usually handle frosts but I lost all of my outdoor Catha's this season as we had a particularly nasty winter.

Thank you very much for your advice whitewind. It is very much appreciated.

They were very root bound when I received them and I had to tear the roots out of the bottom of the pot to get them out. I'll do what you advice and report back when it has been done.

Thanks heaps for that post Whitewind. Very much appreciated.

• Like 1

I have also had issues with Yates potting mix, and have had two bags show it with cathas. One batched let them boom and the the second they just stalled.

Check the rootball to make sure they are not holding to much water.

I have also had issues with Yates potting mix, and have had two bags show it with cathas. One batched let them boom and the the second they just stalled.

Check the rootball to make sure they are not holding to much water.

Thanks for reminding me about this. I just went and bought some Scott's Osmocote seed raising mix as we can't buy Searl's brand here. I realised that it wasn't Yates brand at all that I used but it was Scott's Osmocote Premium Potting Mix. The most expensive stuff Bunning's sells.

And thank you Waterboy for your advice :)

• Like 1

For what it's worth PH I think you are being a little bit harsh on BF, I think quite alot of what has been said has been taken well out of context, Sure he comes across as inexperienced as far as growing these plants go's, but that is what we are here for. Its a forum, we help. I understand you may be irritated or disappointed in seeing your nurtured plants become what they are , but it is what it is.

I'm sure after this experience BF will learn and be better off for it, that is how i learnt, and im sure most of us will agree.

I'm not taking any sides here, just giving an opinion as to how i have observed the goings on from the outside.

peace.

• Like 5

I had trouble with some native mix I bought, helped to kill all my obtusifolia seedlings. So now I have 4mtrs of potting mix piled up down near the shed...it has no fert in it & is a neutral well draining mix. That way I can add fertiliser if I want or more coarse sand or vermiculite as need be...works out way cheaper in the long run also...you just reminded me it was scotts osmocote from bunnings, but their native mix instead...f**kin' crap.

Edited by space cadet 101

For what it's worth PH I think you are being a little bit harsh on BF, I think quite alot of what has been said has been taken well out of context, Sure he comes across as inexperienced as far as growing these plants go's, but that is what we are here for. Its a forum, we help. I understand you may be irritated or disappointed in seeing your nurtured plants become what they are , but it is what it is.

I'm sure after this experience BF will learn and be better off for it, that is how i learnt, and im sure most of us will agree.

I'm not taking any sides here, just giving an opinion as to how i have observed the goings on from the outside.

peace.

Thanks for that message mr.b.caapi :)

I had trouble with some native mix I bought, helped to kill all my obtusifolia seedlings. So now I have 4mtrs of potting mix piled up down near the shed...it has no fert in it & is a neutral well draining mix. That way I can add fertiliser if I want or more coarse sand or vermiculite as need be...works out way cheaper in the long run also...you just reminded me it was scotts osmocote from bunnings, but their native mix instead...f**kin' crap.

I have been meaning to do this for years. Looks like I will give it a try and give the neighbourhood kids a dirt hill to play on as well. Thanks for the advice :)

• Like 2

Is that osmocote seed raising mix the one that seems like it's almost 100% organic matter and seems to have almost no grit in it at all ?

I got some a few months ago and was surprised to see that it had no sand like seed raising mixes always used to have.

I found it has very high water holding capacity but if it dries out it can very hard to re-wet.

If it is that one I don't know how it will go in a large pot without some river sand or sand for drainage and to improve the permeability of the mix.

The searles mixes I've had didn't seem to have that problem (more grit and varied texture). I just cant get them anymore the hardware store that did stock it has stopped getting it in & my local bunnings now has 95 % scotts products and few yates. I can't even get debco mixes there anymore.

Is that osmocote seed raising mix the one that seems like it's almost 100% organic matter and seems to have almost no grit in it at all ?

I got some a few months ago and was surprised to see that it had no sand like seed raising mixes always used to have.

I found it has very high water holding capacity but if it dries out it can very hard to re-wet.

If it is that one I don't know how it will go in a large pot without some river sand or sand for drainage and to improve the permeability of the mix.

The searles mixes I've had didn't seem to have that problem (more grit and varied texture). I just cant get them anymore the hardware store that did stock it has stopped getting it in & my local bunnings now has 95 % scotts products and few yates. I can't even get debco mixes there anymore.

That sounds like the one. I'll add some sand to it. Thanks for the tip.

My Bunnings doesn't have any Debco products anymore either. I used to love their Cacti mix.

What is the general consensus on the rescue instructions guys? I have been getting conflicting information in this thread and am not sure what route to take?

Should I prune the plants?, Should I remove all the leaves? Should I put them in big pots or small?

Thanks again. Any help is very much appreciated.

peace.

yes, i was harsh, my appologies to bf.

but to my defence all i have to say is, it totaly fucked me up to see my babies, which i nurtured, cared for and love more than anything, in this sad state. i took the death of my babies, pesonally, and i should just not care once plants are out of my care.

problem is, i don't see them as comodety, but as living things, which deserve our best efforts!!!

an other thing which fueled my upset, was that bf, made INFORMATION OF PRIVAT PM'S i had with him PUPLIC, which is against forum rules.

If they were pot bound , and torn out of the pots for re - planting , my guess is " transplant shock " . In such situations it may be preferable to cut off the pot with seccies , and very carefully tease out a few roots , before planting and watering in with 1/2 strength or less organic liquid fert .

yes, i was harsh, my appologies to bf.

but to my defence all i have to say is, it totaly fucked me up to see my babies, which i nurtured, cared for and love more than anything, in this sad state. i took the death of my babies, pesonally, and i should just not care once plants are out of my care.

problem is, i don't see them as comodety, but as living things, which deserve our best efforts!!!

an other thing which fueled my upset, was that bf, made INFORMATION OF PRIVAT PM'S i had with him PUPLIC, which is against forum rules.

Yet another backhanded compliment from Planthelper. What a surprise.

Do you think that you may have just a slight conflict of interest being that YOU are the moderator for this forum?

I am really sorry that I posted your quote "no, it's all good!" straight from PM. Shocking disregard for authority displayed by me. Please flail me relentlessly.

You are really not doing your reputation any good here whatsoever with your continued trolling.

If they were pot bound , and torn out of the pots for re - planting , my guess is " transplant shock " . In such situations it may be preferable to cut off the pot with seccies , and very carefully tease out a few roots , before planting and watering in with 1/2 strength or less organic liquid fert .

I'd put your flame suit on now Major Tom as it's coming.....

And thanks for the advice :)

Looks to me simply a matter of too much transpiration with not enough root contact. repotting leaves the root hairs unable to absorb water for a few days and can reduce the water up take by up to 80% or so. So a healthy plant that gets repotted will often fail unless certain precautions are taken.

At SAB we would cut 50-75% of the leaves off before shipping. It makes the plants look less attractive, but it guarantees they will survive a different climate and repotting.

I suspect your stems are still fine. The dried leaves can still transpire, so I'd cut 50% of them off at the petiole asap.

Simply adding more water or humidity will not necessarily fix the problem, but can introduce a whole host of other problems.

A few people have mentioned that there is a conflict between PH being the supplier here and him being a mod. I don't see why. Ph has at no point in this thread used his mod status to influence the situation. If he had then that would be a conflict and would have consequences. I don't hink it is fair to simply bring up mod status because he is a mod. I am uneasy about the aggressive and over the top nature of PH's replies as a mod though - it does not set a good example and seems to be more and more common.

Looks to me simply a matter of too much transpiration with not enough root contact. repotting leaves the root hairs unable to absorb water for a few days and can reduce the water up take by up to 80% or so. So a healthy plant that gets repotted will often fail unless certain precautions are taken.

At SAB we would cut 50-75% of the leaves off before shipping. It makes the plants look less attractive, but it guarantees they will survive a different climate and repotting.

I suspect your stems are still fine. The dried leaves can still transpire, so I'd cut 50% of them off at the petiole asap.

Simply adding more water or humidity will not necessarily fix the problem, but can introduce a whole host of other problems.

A few people have mentioned that there is a conflict between PH being the supplier here and him being a mod. I don't see why. Ph has at no point in this thread used his mod status to influence the situation. If he had then that would be a conflict and would have consequences. I don't hink it is fair to simply bring up mod status because he is a mod. I am uneasy about the aggressive and over the top nature of PH's replies as a mod though - it does not set a good example and seems to be more and more common.

Thanks for the advice Torsten. Very much appreciated. I'll do what you say and report back with my results.

I see what you mean about PH's mod position. He hasn't abused his position whatsoever. I was originally getting at the fact that it really doesn't look good for a mod to be trolling and flaming like he does.

That sounds like the one. I'll add some sand to it. Thanks for the tip.

My Bunnings doesn't have any Debco products anymore either. I used to love their Cacti mix.

I think you might find that most of the products that bunnings have got rid of will be available from masters. This is a typical reaction by company’s that hold a large share of the market and when they are no longer the sole supplier the throw out there original supplier and take in someone that will supply them exclusively.

We have recently seen master's open the first stores here and I have see whole ranges of products from suppliers put out on there clearance tables. Richgro and Debco have been a couple of stand outs.

Cheers

Got

I think you might find that most of the products that bunnings have got rid of will be available from masters. This is a typical reaction by company’s that hold a large share of the market and when they are no longer the sole supplier the throw out there original supplier and take in someone that will supply them exclusively.

We have recently seen master's open the first stores here and I have see whole ranges of products from suppliers put out on there clearance tables. Richgro and Debco have been a couple of stand outs.

Cheers

Got

Thanks for that. We have just had one open here. They had a poor range of active cacti but I just assumed that was because it was winter and their garden section is in a very open spot.

I'll check them out.

I just gave them a call but they don't stock Searles' brand seed raising mix. The only brand they carry for seed raising mix is Amgrow at their Canberra store.