The Corroboree
Bigred

fermenting substraits for subs

a foaf said he heard about a guy who ferments media can anyone one shed some light on this

Ferments...I would have thought any alcohol would inhibit the myc's growth, although I guess it would aid in the sterilization...? Are you sure it wasn't pasteurization or something, which is like boiling water + straw (or whatever substrate) to kill enough of the 'bad' things living on it but leaving some of the beneficial microbes etc on it so your mycellium has time to take hold before it all gets a mold on it.

yeah he feremnts with a special yeast that can live with the mycelium saw a website and i cant find it will update

I did it with some substrates a few years ago but didn't do any more testing - I actually think it has the potential to be a great method of preparing bulk substrates - this coming spring I plan on doing 'whole bale' oyster mushroom fermentations. Basically how it works is - you submerge the substrate in water, the anaerobic environment knocks out most of the aerobic competitors for the substrate (the fungi and bacteria) that usually spoil the substrate. Then once the anaerobic environment starts fermenting (and maybe predigesting the substrate) drain the water to introduce an aerobic environment again which kills off most of the anaerobic competitors and leaves the substrate ready to spawning. If you have a large spawn/substrate ratio you should be fine. Easy! :)

I will post my results if I ever get around to doing it.

EDIT : I did it previously with woodchips

Edited by watertrade

I tried this with straw and h.ulmarius / str.rugosoannulata sawdust spawn recently..

Works fine .. but it is too smelly when the fermentation starts !

The simple 4 hours soak in water worked as well ..

Regards

B.

Edited by mysubtleascention

but it is too smelly when the fermentation starts !

I forgot to mention that - but that's how you know its working! I think the ideal fermentation time is to stop just after it starts to smell bad.

does any one have a link to a good tek would love to give it a try

thanks satyr that looks pretty cool

could you add colloidal silver after the ferment i think it might help with the endospores