The Corroboree
santiago

24/7 child care

Probably not expecting much of a conversation from this one, in regards to an article i raed today in the newspaper the government is proposing changes to the child care act to allow more opening hours ie to 9pm weekdays and saturdays for example. Nothing set in concrete but it must be said that for those who need it, child care that is...now mainstreamly directed towards the 9-5 fratenity are only scraping in to pick up their kids by 6pm anyhow.

Some will laugh and say suck sour lemons anyhoo for being stupid enough for not using a condom and this is what you deserve. Im ok with that but on the other hand i dont think full maturity has been reached mentally by this minority of a few who express that wonderfully nieve expression of innocence. Yet those in the childcare industry express the position that they will resist an expansion of hours, due mainly to their own lives, family and poor pay. The poor pay part i dont really get because for the best part they feed kids weet bix and milk, provide some cheap paints and some salvo toys and get subsidised massive amounts up to 80% by the government. Every full time kid is 70 bucks, and ther are more child care centres than macdonald stores so thats a tell tale in itself money making wise.

So the real statement is, sunday trading, late shopping hours, getting centelink rorters and single mummies and daddies back to the workforce and contributing. I personally love shopping at woolworths at 8pm weeknights but i feel sorry as hell for the check out chicks who would be pretty much forced in many ways to make this work, for one the hours and two the family situations. Life seems to be heading towards a 24/7 style. Which is fine but we dont live in the same society as the 60's anymore. We accept, single parents, we accept gays, we accept emos, we accept facebook , we accept late night trading, we want to progress, but we dont accept single parents. On one hand they are stigmatised by being handout bums but on the other hand they cant accept most modern day jobs because ... who looks after the kids. So its a catch 22, cant work stay bums....all easily solved, many billions of dollars gained as well as lives if the 24/7 society of which humanity holds so precious equally equates to the equally selfish and lucrative child care industry.

I think there's a few generalisations in there which might need to be addressed.

As far as I am concerned though, the idea of a nuclear family (i.e. 2 parents and however many kids) is a false one. Community or "the tribe" - or on a smaller scale, the extended family, is a much more sensible, and natural, method of behaviour seen in practically all indigenous tribes and most monkey species. For various reasons - starting with religion + marriage, followed by capitalism + the unit individual / consumer, turns our society continually to divide and make people work harder / longer hours for less. Childcare issues were less of a problem when women didn't work - but it did ensure that any single mum's had to give their child away and have them brought up in orphanages. At least nowadays women can look after their child, even if they do have to work long hours.

Individualism and profit is fanatically encouraged in our society, community actively destroyed by the capitalists - community sharing should be more cost effective, less stressful, less damaging to the environment, yet none of us knows how to do it anymore because we have never experienced it. That's the same reason for why people each shit (and feed their babies shit) - if you don't know how to cook and your busy working and good food is expensive and you don't even know why it's better to eat it - why would you question it, where would you think to look for the answers, and where are you going to get the time to do it? Especially when your favourite drug is just a button away...

• Like 2

i suppose i was just having a whinge> seems like coroprations and governments want to speed up australia< longer opening hours and more open everything every day and night

which is fine but if your gonna force families to work increasingly longer and harder then there needs to be additional services > not everybody can rely on a subserviant wife or overworked grandparents or strain friendships with more and more babysitting if life is going to expand like new york the city that never sleeps< what do many people do its a catch twenty two situation but i suppose thats life ey> better than being slapped in the face by a wet fish i suppose : )

ps excuse my shocking grammar lately i spilt a drop of water on my laptop keypad and even a wireless keyboard or the on screen keyboard is malfunctioning most of the time< must have got into the chip or something>>need a new computer me thinkies>

worth mentioning the casualisation of the work force... and other workplace changes brought in under howards govt.

also i dont believe that the childcare industry is lucrative, far from it. one of the big players (ABC i thinkk?) went broke a while ago

where the real money/growth industry in austaralia is, is in aged care... rapidly aging population requiring care and services, thanks to the baby boomers, good thing is the're one of wealthiest of recent generations.

heard an anecdote the other day, of a school teacher of year 3 or 4 :scratchhead: kids, and them saying that they were the worst kids they'd ever seen,

basically they put it down to the kids coinciding with the 'baby bonus'

interesting... not sure if its super cynical or if theres something to it??

dont these big companies go broke from bad financial decisions or poor managagment or dodgy scamming ceo"s and bean counters>im sure most companies prolly rake in the dough before overconfidence or reckless decisions screw them up but yeh i assumed child cares are lucrative< how could they not be when small ones do minimum thirty kids a day at seventy bucks plus all the government perks thrown a bone that way

propped up by government subsidies

I have managed a child care centre before as part of a bigger role.

They can make good money. But often dont