The Corroboree
niggles

Dramatic decline of giant cuttlefish colony - SA

I saw an article today about their dramatic decline in SA... not good we're losing our giant cuttlefish!

psglmp-diver-giant-cuttlefish.jpg

CuttlefishWhyallaNews01_450px.jpg

MAy 1st 2009.....

Big cuttlefish 'at risk' from SA desal plant

http://www.abc.net.a...l-plant/1668740

and then today....

South Australia Cuttlefish colony missing

http://www.news.com....r-1226100541267

Ive dived with not giant cuttlefish and they were amazing..

My diving buddy tells me that the giant cuttlefish seem quite intelligent and will observe and mimic human divers.

He told me he could get one to watch him and he would wiggle two fingers at it and it would wiggle two tentacles back, three fingers, three tentacles and so on.

I was really keen on coming back to aus and diving with them (forgot about it for years) and now it doesnt look like the chances of it happening are very good.

Boo.

-edited for pretty pictures-

4056836852_72a7613f82.jpg

Look! Its waving its tentacles!

Edited by niggles

havn't read the article yet but i dont think alot is known about them, very mysterious creatures.

Ive seem em do some crazy crazy stuff camoflauge wise,changing all sorts of colours and shapes,( like this emoticon :shroomer: ) mind blowing, and very intelligent.

god was on acid when he created them

I too have seen the colour changeyness..

I saw two males having a go at each other over a female.. boy can they change colour quick! and one of them was lighting up luminous blue around the edges.. i think he may have become a light source!

So beautiful...

Ive seem em do some crazy crazy stuff camoflauge wise,changing all sorts of colours and shapes,( like this emoticon :shroomer: ) mind blowing, and very intelligent.

god was on acid when he created them

There are some awesome creatures in the southern oceans, especially around the bull kelp. I'll be diving them again within a week, can't w8!

Edited by Halcyon Daze

Time and tide, iv really only had extensive experience in port Phillip bay, but seen a few aparently unexplained and explained fluctuations in species population.

Just to put them in context, here are some of their actual "friends" which are all facing similar man made perils. Keep up all conservation efforts if you want to see theses guys survive. On that note I'm out for a while, back to remote Tasmania while waiting for things to get better up north. Cheers!

post-8867-0-79791400-1340715436_thumb.jp

post-8867-0-64177400-1340715461_thumb.jp

post-8867-0-54326100-1340715493_thumb.jp

post-8867-0-06175500-1340715528_thumb.jp

argonauta_nodosa.jpg

Leafy_Sea_Dragon9_.jpg

Hapalochlaena.jpg

Jasus_edwardsii.jpg

argonauta_nodosa.jpg

Leafy_Sea_Dragon9_.jpg

Hapalochlaena.jpg

Jasus_edwardsii.jpg

Edited by Halcyon Daze

There are some awesome creatures in the southern oceans, especially around the bull kelp. I'll be diving them again within a week, can't w8!

Where do you like to dive Halcyon?

Your not a victorian are you?