The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
JumpedAngel

beach convolvus

I understand that this one is smokeable?

Can anyone fill me in on use, how ,when, etc.

I think up north it is called tropical speedwell

and down here in the south we have several varieties.

Is that a Convulus or a Convolvulus?

Can you provide a full Latin name for the species?

Convolvulus pluricaulis is a powerful cognitive enhancer. It's one of the bindweed species.

Do the flowers of the plant you mention resemble a ground hugging morning glory flower?

Acorus gramineus extract can be mixed with Sceletium and dagga and smoked to good effect.

In Ayurvedic medicine A. gramineus is used to counteract the 'toxic' effects of cannabis intoxication; i.e. body load and mental fuzziness.

When the three are smoked together the Sceletium potentiates the dagga while the A. gram. keeps the head and body clear.

The result is a very nice, very clean and clear almost low-dose-mushroom like result.

aka evolvulus alsinoides / 'shankapushpi' (literally "conch flower" altho there's probably a couple species used, with locally recognised chemotypes of slightly varying effects, and possibly up two other plants with that sanskrit name..clitoria ternata being one).. one of the premier medhya herbs and also used in beauty oils, especially for children, rubbed on the head & said to promote intelligence..there's an indian product called "cute baby" hehe

i'd die to get seeds if it were an indian chemotype... i dont know how viable that is.

i'm pretty sure ayurveda would use a. calamus, not gramineus...not to say it wouldn't have the same effect in this context

smoked for asthma/bronchitis..never found any clear info on what the cognitive/psychoactivity when smoked. it is smoked with calamus

The A. gramineus extract was made using ethanol and distilled water refluxed at 165 degrees farenheit for 6 hours, the solvent recovered and the remaining material air dried at low temperature.

I'm certain it is A. gramineus and not A. calamus.

Both are used in Ayurveda.

I think I may be able get viable Indian A. gramineus seeds. We are in the middle of ordering herbs from our Indian supplier and I will see about including some, but can I send them to Oz or will they get nabbed by the border nasties?

[ 20. March 2004, 13:43: Message edited by: friendly ]

ok sorry, thought gramineus was used more in TCM

so any chance of getting evolvulus alsinoides seed?? :)

Acorus gramineus is definitely active. See some of t st tantra's comments about this in various threads here. do a search for 'ogon' (his preferred variety) to find it.

You are correct; A. gramineus is used more often in TCM, but it is also part of the Ayurvedic pharmacopoeia.

When I return to the office on Monday I will check my seed and plant source books for availability of seeds for that particular species.

[ 20. March 2004, 20:17: Message edited by: friendly ]

oh yeah, i don't doubt it's active, i've nibbled some [ogon] a few times, which i mentioned recently.. & t st has kindly offered me some ogon

thanks friendly

:)

would the prepared oils (ghrita..calamus decoction with oil, then water boiled off) contain the actives/asarone?

The Acorus calamus oil we have from India definitely contains asarones.

Hopefully it will soon be combined with other oils(perhaps even Celastrus oil...) to make a massage oil.

So many herbs; so little time.

do you know if that oil you have is pure, ie created by steam distillation, etc .. the method i mentioned (taila) - it is usualy decocted into sesame oil or ghee. it is the product of this latter method whose activity i question (ie with all the boiling and bringing the oil to a bit over 100C)

i've made oil in this decoction fashion (taila).

some sort of resin globules separate out of the carrier oil once the water comes off

i have used it for massage (with other root decoctions & essential oils) but have had no interest in consuming it (it sure smells good..like buttery cinnamon popcorn).. it's also used for nasya (nasal administration) for sinus/cognitive purposes .. i didn't notice too much effect from insufflation

[ 21. March 2004, 11:19: Message edited by: coin ]

Hey guys, thanx for the response, there seems to be a bit of interest in this one.

Firstly, I cannot tell you its latin name, my books have several similar plants listed, all close but none that is definitive.

If you have a copy of Tim Low's "Bush Medicine" pp198-199 then the picture there is the closest but the one I have does not have those fine hairs, Tim Low suggests that it has mildly narcotic leaves, I have some drying in the shed and will no doubt find out, what dissapoints me is the lack of information about the local traditional useage.

If I knew how to then I would include an image here, those who are interested will find a image linked from my main webpage for a short while (please do not take my webpage too seriously as it is constantly changing).

Link is at the bottom of the list

It is looking more like convolvulus erubescens (blushing bindweed) but unlike the description in the book, it does not have lobed or toothed foliage, foliage varies from ovate to elliptic with entire leaf edges, having noticed something strange while I was posting the image on the web earlier, I went back to the plant and noticed that the foliage which remained in the shade all day long was indeed hairless and polished in appearance whereas the foliage of the same plant which was exposed to sunlight all day long was indeed hairy, contrary to what I wrote earlier.

(silly me - i just realised you're in melbourne..I have this in my yard)

I have a feeling it may be Convolvulus sabatius, syn C. mauritanicus

Convolvulus_mauritanicus.jpg

from

desert-tropicals.com

It is used in so many different gardens as a ground cover, for rockeries, and large banks/walls, but it goes totally feral.. I see it everywhere around my area and many nurseries sell it

I looked up a few pages with photos, and there's a fair amount of leaf variability

The tag on my plant says:

A trailing, perennial with green, slender, twining stems and small oval leaves. Produces a profusion of lilac-blue flowers from spring through to autumn. An ideal plant for hanging baskets, containers, retaining walls where its foliage can trail over the edge. Also an excellent groundcover for banks. Plant in full sun in well drained soil. Will tolerate a wide range of soil types. . .

What do you think ?

I think your book would maybe refer to the Evolvulus I mentioned..Rev has mentioned this one before in Oz..try doing a search

[ 22. March 2004, 21:03: Message edited by: coin ]

I haven't been able to find seeds of Convolvulus pluricaulis through my Indian sources, although they supply the herb and extract.

I will keep trying.

thanks friendly

importation of acorus calamus

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casec...ext&intSearch=1

Acorus gramineus

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casec...ext&intSearch=1

basically this (below)

so yes please friendly - bring us some acorus seed :)

Condition C7181

Non-commercial consignments of seed of this species may be permitted entry into Australia subject to inspection on arrival. Seed must be free from soil, live insects, plant material (eg fruit pulp, leaf or stem material, etc), contamination with prohibited seeds and packed in new containers that are clearly labelled with the botanical name.

Packets of mixed seed are not permitted entry as non-commercial consignments due to the difficulties of inspecting them for contaminants.

A. calamus seed sources:

www.ionexchange.com

www.prairiemoonnursery.com

www.ernstseed.com

A. calamus 'variegatus' (beautiful striped foliage) and A. gramineus have no seed sources listed in my Anderson Horticultural Library Source List of Plants and Seeds, although there are many sources listed for the plants.

It's best to order the seeds from a recognized seed company which will be more able to provide the proper documentation necessary for successful importation.

Thanks

however i would be looking for the European and preferably the Indian chemotypes as the American one is already common and accessible.

Any joy with that??

The European/Asian type does not produce seed. It is triploid. One of the ways to tell them apart

Are bare-root Acorus species plants importable into Oz?

I can list the URL's of many sources for A. gramineus and A. calamus variagatus plants, if so.

Some of them will undoubtedly be set up to export plants outside the USA and will have the necessary sanitary permits on hand.

I have found sources for the following Convolvulus species seeds:

C. assyricus

C. cantabrica

C. compactus

C. erubescens

C. occidentalis

C. tricolor (several differenct varieties)

I can include them here if anyone is interested.

[ 12. April 2004, 06:05: Message edited by: friendly ]