The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
planthelper

native datura& other solani

the family of nightshades is one of my favorites.

it's intrigueing how some fruits of "solanis" are big in south america but stayed small in australia...

the tomatoes vs the kangoroo apple!

and what about the spikes,

oz native nightshades have the "most cruesome spikes", isnt it natures way to say: stay away, unless you, know better!

:D :rolleyes:

Have you got some species names for those native nightshades??

There was one datura which was thought to be native but this has been disputed. Found to be an early introduced mexican native

Datura Leichhardtii (Native thornapple): contains scopolamine http://members.iinet.net.au/~weeds/western...s/sima_sola.htm

Actually found to be a naturalised weed from mexico

I have a heap of stramonium seed wildcrafted from the Cooma district if anyone's intested...beautiful,stinky,spikey and stinky...beautiful :D

!sorry deledet this post.

[ 19. January 2004, 13:22: Message edited by: planthelper ]

You are totally sick man!

there is a weed that grows around perth that looks very similar to belladonna but much smaller. it gets white flowers then green to black berries.

does anyone know what these are? ive done a google on native and introduced weeds but have had no luck.

ahhh yep thats it! thanks WD

hey planthelper, i have about 4 native solanum's in my area, s.aviculare, s.campanulatum, s.prinophyllum, and one yet 2 be identified. can collect some seed if anyone is interested.

dirt.

some native solani are said to be cultivated, for substances needed for the manufacturing of the pill.

but my hopes are that, sodomgomorensis (maybe outdated name sp?) is a "hint" to its sexuall stimulating properties just like say mandragora!

i got all those native seeds many years ago from hortus botanicus vindobonensis,

[email protected]

@dirt those solanis you mentioned, do you know if they where used by the natives for something?

[ 21. January 2004, 06:19: Message edited by: planthelper ]

planthelper:

some native solani are said to be cultivated, for substances needed for the manufacturing of the pill.

ahhh interesting , remeber being told by one of the guys at sydney wildflower nursery, that one of the inland species was used as a contraceptive by aborigines. prehaps that is the same one u mentioned?

have tried 2 grow one of the commercialy avalaible native tomatos a few years back, but the humidity eventually killed it.

appart from S.aviculare, as a food source

havent heard of any traditional uses with my local ones, though think it would be likley they had some sort of traditional use.