The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
LadySwan

Importing Mushroom - Spawn and/or cultures into Australia

I was looking to buy spawns for edible mushrooms online. I discovered to my pleasure that we are allowed to import some edible mushroom spawns as listed in the below links . I am sorry if you all already know this because I had an impression that we can not import any mushroom spawns:

http://www.aqis.gov....&LogSessionID=0

and here is ebay store for spawn, great one ;)

Edited by LadySwan

Remember you still need an import permit, but that shouldnt be too hard, just need to work it out with ebay seller. be aware that some are only permitted from specific countries too.

some of those kits though are cool. only spores though. personally, I would rather be trying to source them locally.

[edit] some of the species being sold there are ectomycorrhizal and would require a plant host, and not just plain compost as described in their description. A bit dodgy, as it misrepresents how hard it really is.

Cheers, Ob.

Edited by obtuse

Its not so much that you cant import them, its more along the lines of can you afford to import them?

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2009C00418/Html/Text#param12

With permit fees, lodgement fees, inspection fees etc and your supplier will have to get a phytosanitary certificate which will cost about the same as most of the spawn on the link you posted.

Its cheaper to buy locally from one of the excellent suppliers like www.forestfungi.com.au or Punkin on the forum here, or DIY is always worthwhile

Just my 2cents worth

Import Permit Fees (where applicable) – Category 2

This commodity is classified as a Category 2 assessment for the purposes of determining the Import Permit fee rate that applies. The fee rate is $80.00 (for any assessment period up to 1 hour) and $40.00 for each quarter hour, or part of a quarter hour, after the 1-hour period. Note that in addition to the assessment fee, an electronic lodgement fee of $85.00 or a manual lodgement fee of $150.00 also applies.

"With permit fees, lodgement fees, inspection fees etc and your supplier will have to get a phytosanitary certificate which will cost about the same as most of the spawn on the link you posted."

Your looking at the wrong category its actualy much more expensive.

wow. ok. i had no idea it was that expensive. i had assumed some costs involved, but certainly not that much.

[edit} i see now, it has some of those costs at the bottom of the page lol, :BANGHEAD2:

i guess for large commercial enterprises its not an issue, but fopr the backyard experimenter who wants to grow his/her own thats a fairly expernsive outlay to say the least.

I'll have to try and find my boletus edulis spores locally now :wink:

Cheers, Ob.

Edited by obtuse

:(. i missed the fees point there. damn. will look locally.

lots of mushroom cultures can be found here in Oz.

Shoot me a PM if your after a specific gourmet or medicinal culture/spawn etc and I'll see if I can help :)

Ladyswan, do you have the necessary equipment for mycology or are you only interested in buying a premade kit for now?

Hi LadySwan,

I have bought spawn from Omsource (Fungi Culture), Worowa (Forest Fungi), and Punkin, and would recommend them all. Good reliable product.

Then there's the many folk on the forum who are generous with plates etc.

Cheers, T