The Corroboree
Nemisty

Picked up a scop with a few nasties

So I scored this scopulicola off trademe for $20. However shes looking pretty sick with some real nasty looking diseases taking hold. Wondering if anyone on here would have any input on how to combat some of this.

Here's the damage.

BigScop.jpg

ScopDisease1.jpg

ScopDisease3.jpg

ScopDisease2.jpg

It reminds me of back when I was in health class at school when they put all those graphic STI pics up on a projector.

Im sorry you had to see this but I'm in need of some help so cheers.

looks like scale mate

theres a few recent threads on here about scale if ya have a little lookn around

you need to mix some oil and dishwashing liquid with water or somethin and give it a spray i cant remember exactly wat the mix is but a few people said wat to use in the other threads if ya can find em otherwise someone might come on here and tell ya wat it is ya need to make

i had a few cacti with bad scale like this years ago they were being looked after by a mate at the time and he made up the spray stuff and it worked very well all scale disappeared and has never returned i still have the plants now and theyre perfectly healthy :)

Just gave her a liberal dose of 'Halcyon Daze Blitzkrieg Mix'. Will see how that goes then haha

haha i remember reading that

sounded like a bit of a death mix hope it works mate :)

be careful with white oil and the sun I damaged some of my plants up pretty bad by accidentally burning them, maybe just some pyrethium and then see how it goes. Its not too severe alot looks like scaring more than active damage.

It was basically just pyrethrum at standard dosage, little bit of detergent and some old chillies I had in the freezer. Whether the chillies do anything is debatable but the wee spider on it got some in all six eyes so I hope he's doing okay.

That is not scale, that is some kind of scarring probably caused by the black rot. The Blitzkrieg Mix will not help your problem in any way.

The rot should get better over time (if you keep the cactus healthy). The scarring will never turn green again but over the years it will become the trunk. What I'm saying is that they all go like this eventually so don't worry too much about scarring. The new growth should be perfect.

The best way to grow a cacti healthy is put it in the ground (good ground).

As for the Blitzkrieg Mix, I'll have to do an update, I've had good success. Scale are dead (99% of them), so far there is no negative effects whatsoever (the pyrethrum oil was my only slight concern).

Good luck, I'm a fan of scops. I have an un-named monster strain I managed to save from a massive cacti that was felled by the new owners. I'll put seeds up next season.

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 2

Yep looks like scarring to me

• Like 1

Yeah I realise she's pretty scarred.

In the first and second pic you can see a red dust on the skin. Not too sure what it is but it looks like a pathogen of some sort. Hoping the pyrethrum deals to that shit.

Might be a little bit of orange rot or something nothing really to worry about in less it spreads more

Not sure about the yellow part though

Dont think that this is anything that you should be worried about. It looks like some very bad scaring from sunburn, maybe with a bit of scale but im not so sure about that. Think that Halcyon is probably right and its only scars. The orange spot is probably nothing bad, just a minor pustle or something like that. Orange rot isnt really a problem on Trichos.

• Like 2

i say its definately got scale you can see lots of scaring but it also looks like its covered in scale aswell

can you scrape it off??

Didn't try to be honest. Will have a go tomorrow, might have a better look at that orange lump too, thing is weird.

No need to worry about the orange spots man. It's usually caused by exposure (i.e. frost or extended periods of cold rain without drying out) in my experience. It's not insects of any kind. Check what kind of soil it's in - because if it's dark and spongey, then it will hold water and be bad for that guy (I think it makes the plant is alwaye course with water [to drain the water itself], and more succeptible to frosts). The plant looks reasonably healthy otherwise (except for the tiny pot that it's in).

So once it's spring, make sure you repot it into well-draining soil and I think it'll be fine from then on. :]

• Like 2

First of all.... $20?? MAD SCORE!!!

Second of all, I agree with bluntmuffin. I don't think you need to worry about any of that damage - it looks like scarring to me. If you can get your fingernail into the crack between the ribs and scrape that small stuff off, it MAY be scale, but if you can't scrape it off easily it isn't scale.

A few years back I bought this off trademe ($15 back when you could actually get an easy cactus bargain). I never worried about the scarring, I am pretty sure that scops like massive pots or being in the ground, the scarring is a result of poor nitrition and/or small pots.

The best thing you could do is get it into the ground imo, with some good mix around it.

This pic was taken just after I got it home. I transported it in my station wagon, it stretched from right against the front window passengers side, all the way to the opposite corner at the back lol. Thank god they have no spines!

IMG_8314lo.jpg

• Like 5

be careful with white oil and the sun I damaged some of my plants up pretty bad by accidentally burning them, maybe just some pyrethium and then see how it goes. Its not too severe alot looks like scaring more than active damage.

Do it in the late afternoon IME works well but has some risks..

Bit that is a beast scop, I didn't think they threw arms other than basal pups, they are definitely one of my favourite species.

My cat is awesome :D

That's a creepy black cat you have there bit.

Nawww I noticed that little fella too. Whenever I see a cat I just want to go pat it.

Yeah that cat's not happy about you diverting your attention away from it.

Don't trust that cat near your cacti!

• Like 1