The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Sallubrious

A couple of speculators

Question

I found a couple of plants today that were unlabelled

They are both unnamed Hamiltons stock from my local Bunnings

The first one resembles a peruvianus that I picked up from another Bunnings last week and the other one bears some resemblance to a Rosie hybrid I have.

I'm not very sure of either but any suggestions would be appreciated.

11 answers to this question

I have a heap of these. Like 15 bought them all up when ever I saw them I think they are T pachanoi / cuzco or even maybe a bit of T scop hybrids. Just got to grow them out now.

Nice

did they come with those eyes?

The second one is missing an eye.. Maybe you could give it a pirate patch?

• Like 1

did they come with those eyes?

I really want to say yes but the truth is I stick them on all my cactus.

Seriously though they did come with the eyes, it's some lame marketing gimmick. They are the kind that have pupils that move around when you wobble the cactus.

The second one is missing an eye.. Maybe you could give it a pirate patch?

Maybe I could get it registered as a disabled dependent and cash in off it ?

They were supposed to be about $4.20 each but they flew under radar behind a bag of seed raising mix and didn't get scanned so they were free, they had a terschekii for $7 bucks that I almost bought but it was showing signs of rot.

If it's there next time I might buy it and dry it out for few weeks and see if it comes good.

@ Stillman, thanks for the guestimate as to what they might be, did yours have "google eyes" like mine ?

If anyone else has any ideas as to what they might be I'm open to suggestions.

You know, this is a bit too early to tell. You can spot the Scops they are selling pretty early on because they look very typical when young but thats about it. At first i thought these might be scops too but the upper spines are too large for that already so im saying they are some kind of Peruvianus. Not rocketscience to know that but if they are a certain well known clone, they need to get a lot bigger till its visible. The longer i grow cacti, the more i am astonished how similar some types of peruvianus can be until they´ve reached a certain size. Double the size till you can say anything with certainty; at least.

Edited by Evil Genius

Thanks EG, I was leaning towards peruvianus too, maybe it's just wishful thinking though as they are just babies.

Maybe the fucking eyes hypnotised me and convinced me to make an impulse buy ?

If they did then I got the last laugh because I didn't pay for them.

Haha

mine all had eyes I pulled them off lol. My kids all bought one each too. They are actually marketing them to kids. I have one in the green house a bit bigger that is looking alot peruvianus like. I also have a few tiny ones that I think may be tersch or pasacana? I broke my foot so getting to the green house is a bitch but I will get some pics for you maybe this arvo or tomorrow

Got down there with some help lol

OK this is the biggest one originally was eyed up and in a tiny little pot.

DSCF2182.jpg

DSCF2183.jpg

one of the Kids that has a little bit different shape I talked them into losing the eyes but not the tag

DSCF2185-1.jpg

and some weirder ones that I found in the smallest pots I think there is maybe a tersheski or pascana maybe candicans and some interesting one with black hairs, look forward to growing them out and after repotting they really pumped up in size.

DSCF2192-1.jpg

DSCF2193-1.jpg

DSCF2194-1.jpg

and a shot of the Hamiltons pach that I got the other day

DSCF2196-1.jpg

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 1

The one with hairs is probably an Oreocereus sp.

• Like 1

Alright, the smaller ones look like Candicans. Could also be Lamprochlorus but i guess they are not thin and glaucous enough. The hairy one is probably an Oreocereus like Tonic already mentioned. Nice finds.