The Corroboree
migraineur

Stupidly Sprayed Cacti with White Oil. HELP!

I had a thread where I talked about having scale on my trichs. When I went into the shed I noticed a bottle of Yates Pest Oil which I thought might do the trick and save me the time of making my own from vegetable oil and detergent. Despite a thought I had about probably needing to check if I can spray it on cacti without problems I sprayed it anyway. Later on whilst researching online I discovered I had made a mistake and now it's showing. My cacti have and are developing black spots.

Has anyone else made this mistake before? If so then what was the total damage and did your trichs pull through?

I am hoping they just develop some scarring from it and that's it but I'm not sure if I should attempt to clean them now or something. Can anyone provide some input?

I remember seeing a number of people posting similar threads like this including one of my own ages ago. it was devastating at the time but all my plants survived and live on strong. :)

Have you used the vegetable oil and detergent method on scale before? If so then was it successful?

I smashed 4 scops with white oil and they still look shit they got bad black spot then scaring but are growing and there scars will be there to remind me never to do it again.

I can't remember why I sprayed the white oil but I find the best way to get rid of scale ( if I can be bothered and have time) is with a toothbrush and hose. one day I will give a high pressure hose a try too. :lol:

• Like 1

i'd think its from being in the sun with the oil still on it.

• Like 1