The Corroboree

Anzac Day tomorrow, traditionally celebrating, commiserating or otherwise commemorating the death of soldiers who died in war.

But why celebrate the deaths of soldiers only? Should we not celebrate all of those who have died? Can we not celebrate the deaths of all people who have strived and made our civilisation better, all those who have made scientific contributions, all those who have worked as doctors and nurses and carers all their lives, all the mothers who cared for and educated their children, all the fathers who worked to provide?

Tomorrow, let us celebrate the Australian Day of the Dead, remembering all of those who have died before us, our ancestors, and our friends.

• Like 4

nice idea, but perhaps we need another holiday to honour these people instead of tagging it on to an existing one. ANZAC Day and other war remembrance days around the world are a bit of a dilemma for most conscious people I think; on one hand glorifying nationalism and conflict, on the other paying respect to those people who sacrificed their lives to keep our government in charge freedom. which in a way is a good thing as it promotes public discussion on the merits and detriments of war, but this unfortunately gets dumbed down into a 'your either a patriot or not' attitude in the media. hopefully there is some open minded discussion of war tomorrow, instead of the usual simplicity.

yup a toast of cheers for our mighty ANZACs they died fighting sacrificing themselves for something they believed in our lovely southerncross and union jack and julia gillard in two years of being prime minister fucks our country and sends all our manufacturing industry to china... ANZAC day always get my vote!

Edited by applesnail

Well I think dead soldiers would be more likely to be celebrated by people like myself if we were celebrating the deaths of everyone at the same time. I just can't stand the idea of singling out a single group of people as "more special" than anyone else, even though I appreciate that they suffered some rather nasty shit to get there. Death is death, we should acknowledge it across the board as we all get there one day.

• Like 1

yeah well i'm not a patriot and regardless of the bravery of others, anything that celebrates anything to do with war is normalising war and promoting war as good.

fuck anzac day, many people are brave, many people die, many people die with bravery, patriotism is the first step to xenophobia, war is so normalised now that it's like it doesn't exist any more... yeah there's war in iraq, war in afghanistan, but it's not really happening, aussie soldiers hardly ever die so it's not really happening, hey did you watch the voice last night? oh and i wish those boat people would fuck off cause we're full, war isn't real, and these people are just being greedy and selfish.

Edited by chnt
  • Like 2

yeah there's war in iraq, war in afghanistan, but it's not really happening, aussie soldiers hardly ever die so it's not really happenin

perspective

WW1: 61,966 (1.38% of population)

WW2: 40,500 (0.57% of population)

Nam: 500

Afgan invasion: 32

• Like 1

who cares how many aussies die or dont die, what about non-aussies who die? what about the money/resources that go into making weapons etc, what about the destruction of land due to bombs and shit...

Edited by chnt
  • Like 1

Anzac Day tomorrow, traditionally celebrating, commiserating or otherwise commemorating the death of soldiers who died in war

Yes that is what it is for. Tomorrow is Anzac Day it is Anzac Day for a reason why can we not just remember the fallen on this one day without all of the political correctness what about me crap. We all should remember the lives that have been lost fighting for our country.

fuck anzac day, many people are brave, many people die, many people die with bravery, patriotism is the first step to xenophobia, war is so normalised now that it's like it doesn't exist any more... yeah there's war in iraq, war in afghanistan, but it's not really happening, aussie soldiers hardly ever die so it's not really happening, hey did you watch the voice last night?

I was going to reply to this but a just cant be fucked wasting my time.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.

Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.

They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,

They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them.

Lest we forget

Got

• Like 6

A touchy subject, clearly. I agree with chnt; this is about celebrating war. Why should we only celebrate the deaths of soldiers? That is the key question here, not one that you have answered well, GoT. I think you should try, getting pissed with people who would prefer to celebrate the deaths of EVERYONE and not just those who dies in battle is not helping your cause. I want to celebrate all those people who lived to a ripe old age too, my grandmother and great grandmother, and my friends too. Why aren't I allowed to do that, on the same day you want to celebrate the deaths of your soldiers?

Im not hardcore FOR anzac day. But it seems like its a big enough thing to have its own day. Im sure theres a day for servo staff that have been spat on if you look hard enough for it.

who cares how many aussies die or dont die, what about non-aussies who die? what about the money resources that go into making weapons etc, what about the destruction of land due to bombs and shit...

Would be a bit strage if we had a national day for chinese cival war ventrens....

Delta Goodrum pisses me off

• Like 2

It is a different world than then...

but Lest We Forget, I am thankful for personal sacrifices

EDIT - I do not know how anyone sees the day as a celebration

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 2

Here's my two cents...

It's a day to remember people who fought and died for our country specifically in times of war. The kicker being that these people were young, and had lives in front of them, which were given up in service to their country. Now I've never been in the military, but I'd bet bottom dollar that there's not a single veteran who thinks we need another war, or that war is a good thing.

For me, the day is about remembering those who died, and to underline that war is a crappy mistake that we shouldn't repeat.

If you want to commemorate other people, by all means, but just pick another day.

Edited by Cosmonaut
  • Like 3

It would be nice to see Australians remembering all of the Afghani & Iraqi civilians that our country's military played a part in killing over the past 10 years.

ANZAC Day can kiss my rectum.

• Like 3

I think I will go down to a local RSL this afternoon and get into discussions with drunk fuckwits about how I believe my friend David Hicks to be a true Aussie war hero.

• Like 1

Let's also recognise the struggle of brother Mamdouh, during the war campaign.

Habib-420x0.jpg

• Like 1

1058871-chillin_super.jpg

Your attitude is suprisingly immature, one who no doubt dreads the psylo...

We all have choices in this lifetime... to stand and fight... to run for safety... to listen and take heed, and to act accordingly...

We are all responsible for our own deeds...

Some choose to stand in the face of relative evil and defend what we have been shown to be worthy of our lives... to those ones we should bow down in honour of their willing sacrifice.

To those who lost their lives incidently... i offer a lambs fleece and a rose.

Do not defile the memory of our worlds warriors with selfish personal emotional reactivity. God is watching.

• Like 1

Whitewind Los Muertos http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead is in November.

Anzac day has it's place for alot of Australians. It is what it is for better or worse. I went to the dawn service to pay my respects to both my Grand fathers who served in WW2, and from my perspective I wouldn't like the message of Anzac day cheapened.

Others disagree and that is there perspective.

• Like 3

Virabhadra.jpg

On the day of our blindness in the depth of the darkest regions of ignorance may the warrior spirit save our hearts from eternal damnation and purify us through the scortching flames of hell fire... Lest we be forgotten and left to drown in overwhleming oceans of nothing.

• Like 1

just recently i got off a weeks ban for calling someone clown shoes. look at the content of this thread. ANZAC day isn't a platform for anything but the remembrance of people who died fighting for our country, not for moral preaching about what other days people think should exist, or any other shit. i dont think the lack of days nebulously dedicated to 'everyone in history or Afghan civilians detracts from the importance of what today is about. some of you guys show a real lack of respect here. maybe would be different if like me you had relatives that fought in Gallipoli, think about the fact for example that it wasn't uncommon for an ANZAC to have enlisted by getting their parents to bodgy up the papers so that they could go to war when they're 16 or 17, it's not hard to guess how many people would do that these days

Edited by bulls on parade
  • Like 3

Just because we don't agree with celebrating deaths of soldiers on one side of a war, does not show a lack of respect.

Just because one believes that one shouldn't glorify death of only soldiers in war over death in all circumstances, doesn't show a lack of respect either.

I am suggesting that showing respect for one small subsect of society over all others is actually a form of cultural prejudice.

There is a lot of cultural conditioning, anyone who questions something that is claimed to be honourable or brave and suggests that others are due a similar respect gets abuse and very strong criticism.

• Like 3

It angers me that, as an Australian citizen, I'm expected to give a fuck about ANZAC day.

• Like 1

The fact is that dying as a willing sacrifice in war trumps dying from colon cancer as a result of eating burnt meat and smoking ciggies everyday just because you can...

bravery is a real thing, stupidity should not be honoured.

i assume it is the less able to rationalise this idea that will be doing the disrespecting and missing the meaning behind rememberance day.

i respect warriors... i dont really know what ANZAC day is about though, other than remember a sepcific corp. that did some specifically good things...

i would like to think that in 100 years someone will be remmber the "ASC", shamanic corp... but i have a feeling all ya'll are a bit pansy in the pants to actually stand up for yourselves and face a legitimate enemy threat.

It angers me that, as an Australian citizen, I'm expected to give a fuck about ANZAC day.

angers?... moron.

• Like 1