The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Halcyon Daze

Ethno GIVERS

Ok I must have missed the Ethno Theifs thred while I was lost in the jungle. But a quick read got me thinking stop winging and start giving. Simply giving certain plants to certain people/ groups is a great way to distribute your favourite plants around the neighborhood.

I've given many entheogens to many gardeners/ friends/neighbors. Mainly Khat and Trichos as well as my other favourite medicinal, ornamental and rare plants.

I saw a lady up the street had a couple mad Cereus in her front yard so I gave her a potted tricho that I had spare. I met a few self-sufficiency type gardeners interested in medicinal plants so they got some Khat etc. I've left Khat and Trichos at most rental places I've stayed in and most of my friends have my Trichos planted in their gardens.

The idea of giving hundreds of baby Khat plants to the African community takes this to another level though. Think of all the Khat plants you will have access to all around your neighborhood. Do it budget style in recycled coke bottles etc and you'll get an awesome return on your investment.

Sure you could just have a few hidden in your back yard, but why not also do a small bit of charity ethno work. Pop a few round your local community garden, leave a few on doorsteps of likely gardeners. Or drop a box at a plant/gardening club (eg SGAP, cacti society etc). Hand out a few free plants at your next community event. I regularly put out a box of spare plants (usually natives) on the corner with a sign that says 'free :)' . A couple get taken away and I put a couple more out.

The African immigrant community is 'fertile new ground' that I've never thought of before. My garden is overcrowded with all kinds of trees and plants. But there's a big African community in my town and I'll definitely be sprouting another box full of Khat some time in the future.

What else am I gonna do with 'em?

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 4

Fantastic idea! And you'll be growing community ties at the same time.

cant argue that idea...

i was personally pissed mine where stolen but i agree taking the time to give the african community khat will make them feel welcome and comfortable and there would be no better gift. Obviously be carfull you don't want to wake up one morning and have your entire tree stripped bare of leafs.

Also what better way to insure they are not schedualed by spreading them freely far and wide.

Love the brazen way it was stolen, just a huge hole left in the ground lol. Pretty funny story really. Good karma to ya.

this is a lovely thought, pity that it would be illegal. i know that if it wasn't, i'd be sourcing all of the red khat i could buy to pass on to my ethiopian colleague, at no profit to myself, so that he could spread them among his friends. his motivation to help his friends would be so that they don't massacre his plants, which he doesn't want to touch until they are nice and big.

with his community specifically only wanting the red type, i don't imagine it would be easy for me to find sources. i'd need anybody with red type plants for sale to contact me ASAP.

it is good to help your neighbour :)

• Like 1