The Corroboree
incognito

angkor wat

Have just made a one week reservation at the walkabout hotel on pub street in phnom penh.

Do you mean Seam Reap ? If you stay in PP, I would suggest you head for the riverside for accoms. It's nice & 'western' for you, being uncomfortable absorbing yourself in the host country's culture too much.

In SR, there is a bar called the Laundry, on the other side of the canal (from memory). If you befriend the French owner, he might sort you out for 'supplies' if you are frightened to deal with the tuk-tuk mafia (as it sounds like you will be). The Laundry is also a welcome break from the mainstream tourist trap, being a cool little dark jazz-oriented bar. In my previous visits, we reached a happy understanding that the bar staff would carry on my behalf and roll a fat one whenever I wanted. Can't ask for better service than that.

Edited by Psylo Dread

double post

Edited by Psylo Dread

No I'm cool I'm just taking a softly softly approach. I plan to work up to full immersion. Or ateast up to my neck. I will be staying in phnom penh first week and have some r and r. Then to visit Seth second, then head to sihanoukville?spelling ? then fly back.

A reports indicate Cambodia to be comparatively stable compared to my home town anyhoo. I'm sure I'm in for a culturE shock.

Btw, is there anything u can gEt from the doc to sedate you for the 13 hr flight? Xanax? Maybee a strong herbal like zonk, do u still make that t?

some doctors will give you temazepam for the flight. You can buy it at most chemists in Cambodia for the flight back.

Btw, is there anything u can gEt from the doc to sedate you for the 13 hr flight?

Just bring a big footy bag with 400 nangs. Your time will zip by.

nah man, the line in front of me is too long...................i'm looking at you marcel you well dressed 1879 kinda guy.

He's old news now.

done his dash? spent his load? rear wheels are fully blown? the tank is empty? headlights have gone dark? the pony has well and truly bolted? short changed? depleted uranium core?

...................................or did he just get sick of you ringing and texting him all day everyday with preposterous pictures of your yoga positions on the beach in front of the full moon in the background

I just read this. :unsure:

Just goes to show there's not a single thread on this freaking forum that I can afford to ignore.

(And Eth: you can have him, but be gentle; he's carrying my baby.)

Edited by solomon

Seth we really need to organism how I'm gonna contact u once I'm there , heaps keen to cum visit

No probs mate, I'll PM you my email address. I check it daily..I'll also give you my number.. If you pick up a sim card, (Cheap as chips and calls cost fuck all) you can call me.

Off to Cambodia later in the year myself for a month or two so this is a well timed thread which I will be keeping a close eye on for cool places to go and things to eat yadayada

Psylo Dread and Seth,

sounds like you have been to some very interesting places in Cambodia. I'm looking to live and eat and see the country for as cheaply as possible, also looking to purchase some local carvings if possible. Really looking to broaden my taste buds as well so any dishes to look out for would be appreciated. I know there are a lot of OTC pharms available and street drugs too, info on these would be appreciated.. Is there kratom in cambodia? Is the ket really that easy to find OTC still?

Anything you guys haven't mentioned already that you could suggest doing whilst there?

I was planning on taking over about $1000 AUD, how long do you think you could live on that Psylo, as it sounds like you travel like me.

I actually live in Viet Nam. About a half hour south of Nha Trang.. Although so close, I've never been to Cambodia.. It is of course on the plans when I have some free time..

I run a family owned company here growing an Australian variety mango, the R2E2..And teach over 120 local growers how to do so at an export quality standard.. (not easy) So I live in a rural area of Viet Nam. Amongst farms and little markets..No tourists here.. just pure culture.. I love it..

It's made me learn the language quicker.. Tourist towns are full of english speaking natives.. I need to know the lingo just to order a cold beer.. (Trust me, it's alot harder than it sounds in a country where they drink beer with ice!).. Eating food off menus with no english whatsoever.. Clumsily getting through phrases with the locals that a 3 yr old can do with ease..Sending my son to school... It's freaky yet cool..

@ centipede.... As I said before, I live in Viet Nam, but for all the things you're looking for, i can help you here if you wished.... Like Cambodia, Viet Nam is full of exotic oddities and new experiences..And it is possible to live very cheaply.. Vietnamese carvings are spectacular! You could have some fun, starting from small trinkets up to monumental works of art

OTC pharms... Yeah,,, heaps..just have to be gentle in your approach..

Street...They see a westerner coming and their eyes light up! but it is all available at all different levels of quality.. YOu really need to get a good vibe going with a local to get any goods... ex pat business owners are good too..

Dont act like a fuckwit loud, drunkard tourist who doesn't respect the local culture, and doors will open.. Drunken fool tourists are everywhere, and the shady locals prey on them!

There is a very real difference in 'drunk tourist' quality, and local quality.....

If you have any specific questions, pm me mate...

Incog.. looking forward to it mate... Although I'll be, and already am, cock deep in mangoes, I'm gonna show you the unadultered, tourist free way of Vietnamese life. Complete with the safety of running amok with someone who drinks regularly with the head of police of the district...and is well known enough to be able to pass out in a restaurant and have a stranger take him home doubled over the back of a bike.. without the slightest raping of a wallet, or body...Be not afraid.. (maybe)

Edited by sethomopod

Okay then mun second week ima hang with you.

I'll pick yer mangoes for ye :)

Then we partay!

Edited by incognito

Incog ! Cancel you Cambodian "Five-Star Charlie" plans immediately and spend your time in Vietnam with Seth. It's a once in a lifetime experience to see the real side of a country that you don't appear to have the balls to do on your own.

I'm not kidding. Go to Vietnam. Immerse yourself. And if you leave the mago farm, you will find that the Vietnamese cities are fairly safe, probably more than Sydney (they are certainly cleaner), and the people are rarely 'in your face' as can be the case in Cambodia. Saigon is very modern and plenty of travellers like the city. I'm a Hanoi man myself, preferring the vibe of the old city.

Okay then mun second week ima hang with you.

I'll pick yer mangoes for ye :)

Then we partay!

Ha! I dont think you understand what you've just agreed to!! We'll also delve into cryptic questions like, how many mangoes can you fit in a 40kg vietnamese girl?... :wink: (Just Joshin... maybe...)

Saigon is very modern and plenty of travellers like the city. I'm a Hanoi man myself, preferring the vibe of the old city.

yeah, I'll second that.. Saigon gets a bit much for me now...airs too dirty...

Edited by sethomopod

Nah mate I like hard work. Working with the locals will b cool, plus u get some free labour!

Can't wait!

Nah mate I like hard work. Working with the locals will b cool, plus u get some free labour!

Can't wait!

Cool... Well if you really want to, I'm sure I can find something for you to do.. I actually haven't picked mangoes for many a year.. Well and truly completed my apprenticeship there... No,, If you're a boss here, they dont let you lift a finger.. Very different to how we work back home. My old man works harder than all of them.. has done for years.. And the locals look at him likes he's out of his mind when he jumps on the tractor to do a bit of slashing..

We'll work something out mate...

Do you like seafood? And are you an adventurous eater?

Do you like seafood? And are you an adventurous eater?

I don't like where this is going...

I don't like where this is going...

:lol:

Just trying to get an idea how deep incog wants to go into the cultural experience..

the beginnings of a planned dinner for incog...

edit: just wanted to say I nearly crashed into the dude on the right taking this pic..

post-5455-0-73094900-1334382346_thumb.jp

post-5455-0-73094900-1334382346_thumb.jpg

post-5455-0-73094900-1334382346_thumb.jpg

Edited by sethomopod

Make sure you introduce him to snake blood & rice wine.

You haven't lived until you consume the lifeforce of a venomous cobra.

^ nothing beats the taste of beating cobra heart in a foreign jungle temple for lunch

Paired with balut ! (although i will admit that duck embryo wasn't a high point of culinary experience for me) . Still, it's wort trying whatever the locals eat, in my opinion.

Five-Star-Charlie Ingognito, if you are rescheduling your trip to Vietnam, and find yourself in Saigon (aka Ho Chi Minh City), try and get yourself onto a day tour of the Cu Chi Tunnels. It will illustrate just how tough motherfuckers the South Vietnamese people were against the invaders of the 1960's.

From Saigon, I highly recommend a cheap bus across the border into Cambodia. Being a part of the mania at the checkpoint is great fun, as long as you stay cool and learn to enjoy the crush. Once in Cambodia, the landscape changes, and you start becoming exposed to the huge differences between the countries. It won't fill you with much positivity, but this is life in some parts of the world.

As said earlier, from PP to SR, you MUST take the shitty old ferry across the Tonle Sap. The destination wharf at the other end in SR is, well, as my mate emailed me once when he went ahead of me by two days, "I'm not telling you ANYTHING !". It's so cool though (unless they have changed the setup)

Make sure you introduce him to snake blood & rice wine.

You haven't lived until you consume the lifeforce of a venomous cobra.

:lol:

Sounds like you've travelled a fair bit there Psylo...

I have no problem eating anything that had a heartbeat.. for a while though, I couldn't wrap my head around eating/drinking what the heart pumps.. I quickly changed that, as, part of my job is to maintain "good relations" with the locals, I have to impress and show I can adapt to a Vietnamese way of thinking..

So.... When sitting down at a meeting with the Ag and investment dept (high rollin gov types) and they bring out a live snake, cut it's throat and drain it's blood into a shot glass with Viet vodka.... I'm thinking "can I just eat the heart?".. well enough beers in my belly gave me the courage.. Downed it with no probs at all... Just goes to show the mental restrictions we have culture wise... Even though I'd eat dog, cat, iguana, and un-identified "white meat", I still had a problem drinking blood.. Although, for incognito's sake I no longer have that problem and am keen to expose others to the same breakthroughs..

Rice wine......... :wink: ..... yeah, I can hook him up with that... and for about 10c per 500ml , its no probs at all....... well,,, the liver may disagree with that..

Sounds like a good place to go visit!

oh yeah,,, as Psylo said, If you get a chance to visit the Cu Chi tunnels.. do so.... An eye opening experience to say the least..

Tough Mother Fuckers, is the only way to describe those who inhabited the tunnels during the war...;

Plus you can shoot AK 47's, Browning belt fed machine guns.. M60's.. all that shit.. and you dont have to kill anything if you dont want to..

Seeing how they lived underground is simply amazing!!

EDIT.. double post

Edited by Rumple Foreskin

Sounds like a good place to go visit!

Again... The liver may disagree.... :lol:

Lol, I think I'm lucky so far, enheriting my mother's iron liver.. only time will tell :P

Lol, I think I'm lucky so far, enheriting my mother's iron liver.. only time will tell :P

Well, the rice wine would give that ol' iron liver of yours a run for its money while it rusts it out... :wink: