The Corroboree
migraineur

What's Wrong with My HBWR?

Hi, guys.

My HBWR has developed some spots on some leaves that looks transparent and are possibly turning into holes. What could be the reasons for this?

Yeah, I'll have to get some when there's light and I can find my camera. I could use my iPhone but it stores the GPS location in the metadata. FUCK APPLE!

So the leaves are turning yellow in spots on the leaves? Anything on the underside of the leaves at all?

Turn off location services when you take pics and you shouldn't have to worry ;)

if they are going clear, then its probably a bug thats eating it and leaving the outer cell layers alone.

I think you are right, Kada. I found a fucking bug on it today and I killed the bastard!

lets not forget just how fast and hardy this species is. i personally let bugs eat them because they cannot come close to taking over the power of a tropical perennial morning glory. the other day i saw my first fly/mantis whatever they are called. they fly, have bee stripes adn praying mantis arms, crazy little bugs, first time i ever saw one in real life.

Let's not forget it's past equinox, good folk! Locally ours are well past flowering, setting (dropping seed), 25% senescent yellow, but leathery, leaves. Definitely "dying" back for winter - they do this every year, this time - opening the canopy for other things to grow. The little sweethearts! Will double check with the "neighbours" - they've been giggling alot lately.

^^^^

you think they drop leaves and hibernate in the tropics, even if temps not fall under 15 C ?

I doubt it... I thought it stays green all the year...

Most certainly they drop their leaves here over winter - the dry- they don't hibernate however! Frost is unknown here in the lowlands. We are at same latitude south of equator as Hawaii is north. Depends on how much sun they cop. Shaded ones under canopy don't loose much leaf - don't mature and flower either - they stay 'juvenile' like most rainforest plants and develop their roots. Now they are prone to insect attack: = it will take them time to develop chemoprotection.

Given light and ample root space it grows about 30cm a day sun in Capricorn.

Now near sun in Cancer still a few green shoots and leaves, but definite senescent - as we say - the roots have made all sorts of goodies during summer - the wet, that built up to better goodies in the storage vacuoles of the most mature leaves, these precursors freed from tissues by auxin and abscisic acid, and translocated as the leaf goes senescent - yellow, ripe - into the seeds to be finally converted to the best goodies the alkaloids.

What do yours do?

Edited by Pat Uri
  • Like 2

oh awsome info, you got it wild where you're at? cool

i am approx zone9 according to us zone standards.

we get no frost too, but it might go just under 0 or -3 , rarely lower, but only for a couple hours at dawn for a single day in winter usually. got lots of cacti exposed all winter on the roof, go figure, not only trichos & ferocactus f.e. which are pretty cold [and water] hardy , but other genuses too

So my argyreias stop - I call it hibernation - around november when temps go under 12-15 C. they wake up late, in late april or early may, depending on temps.

I used to have an argyreia in the ground and it got strangled by a more agressive turbina, which I also lost this year [but thats another story]

that particular one,dead now, it reached my roof and it flowered a couple times at only15 months from seed! Yep, this plant can grow over 20 cm a day when happy even immature, even in a mid-large pot, with good soil.

I put one in the ground again this year, away from any strangler vine, in a sunnier spot and I have one in a large barrel, which I intend to fert a lot this year, as it didnt go well last year that I did not fert it [so the instructions that go like "feed it 20-20-20, it eats a lot!" are quite correct - this goes for growing period.]

they do drop most of their leaves, gradually as the winter passes but not all. I have propagated from cuttings too...

Edited by mutant