The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
unco_elf

How long will Liquid Culture keep?

Just wondering how long you could leave LC un-refrigerated? Like say 4 months old? It has no contams or anything just looks the same as when it was fully colonised (suspended fluff). Just wanted to know if it were still viable? Also would different types of mushroom LC keep longer then others? Sorry if this is a noob question, just want to learn more.

cheers and peace

over 2 years if kept sterile, I do not know the maximum, but have had them work fine after 2+years of just sitting around. A sterile water syringe with mycelium in it can last indefinetely AFAIK.

naja naja, would that be if the LC is kept refrigerated, in order for the mycelium to enter a state of dormancy ? Or does growth stop when the nutrients are depleted ?

I've had LC syringes that were more than a year and a few months old still work. I was wondering at what point the LC might not be viable any longer but it never failed me. My LC and syringes were left in the fridge though.

Cheers and thanks for all the replies. I suppose i will just have to try it out.

shanks

Just do a little test jar first.........

i kept one in the fridge that was working 12 months later. but yeah i believe they need to be refridgerated to induce dormancy otherwise it keeps growing and will eventually die due to lack of nutrients.

perhaps you could shoot some sterilised glucose in every 6 months to give it more to feed off if you can't keep it in the fridge.

Just do a little test jar first.........

Will do, twas thinking something like that, Could It be possible to squirt a drop onto some agar, to see if it would colonise?

i kept one in the fridge that was working 12 months later. but yeah i believe they need to be refridgerated to induce dormancy otherwise it keeps growing and will eventually die due to lack of nutrients.

perhaps you could shoot some sterilised glucose in every 6 months to give it more to feed off if you can't keep it in the fridge.

Thanks dude for the reply and its not that i dont have a fridge, it somehow ended up in a box full of empty jars in a cupboard. Possibly due to a stage when i was still smoking billys, things would just seem to get lost suddenly then found in weird places at a later date.

Thanks again for the help and always supporting info

And nope everything I innoculated it with has brown contams every. Darn.