The Corroboree
tipz

charles eisenstein on the ascent of humanity

This aint youtube.

Is it realy so hard to give a brief summary why we should watch this.

Seem to be getting inundated with these type of threads. Its getting quite annoying.

• Like 2

I agree. There is already a thread where you can post youtube videos without discussion. People will still watch it and enjoy it. If, on the other hand, you think the video is deserving of discussion, then it makes sense for the OP to be the first one to say something about it.

well i think there is something worth watching here, so will attemp with my poor underserstanding to give it an intro.....

a discussion on spiritual economics, and how the current money system of debt and interest is just not sustainable and goes against the laws of nature. suggestions of alternate forms of exchange include "the gift" method

so if you are interested in social reform and believe there is something wrong with the current system you will enjoy this

if others wish to expand on this lame intro please do

• Like 3

Thanks gnome82 :)

In addition to what I said before, if you're only text is "watch this", then people searching in the future will not be able to find the thread and you end up with multiple postings of popular content. Of course, having a descriptive title helps, but only if the person's name is spelt correctly :wink:

• Like 1

Who is Charles Eisenstein and who is charles eisestein ? and why should I watch it if you can't be arsed to spell the c@#t's name right or at least the same way as in the tittle of the video?

your lordship probably shouldnt watch it then. Maybe have a nice cup of tea instead. :)

ps. whats a tittle?

• Like 1

mmm, Lord, after sitting down to a cuppa myself, upon reflection i reckon my last post was a bit smartarse & really just contibuting

to being more of the problem than otherwise.

Heres what else i should have said in that post.

I cant help but notice that your recent posts seem to have been disproprortionately angry & kinda bitter. Are you ok?

ps.. you mightjustlikethisvideo.

Edited by LokStok

that was very interesting thanks for posting. some of the stuff he said sounds similar to some discussions that have happened in some threads here.

i definitely think this talk deserved its own thread and recommend giving it a go.

the concept of decaying currency is extremely interesting.

• Like 2

Sorry guys.... I take on board the criticism. I should have taken the time to elaborate further on the content. I was kind of pre-occupied at the time.

I do post quite a few videos in the youtube thread, but thought this one was worthy of having It's own thread.

My apologies for any annoyance i may have caused. Just trying to spread a message that resonates with me.

Thanks for helping me out with that gnome and chnt.

(edit) and please forgive my spelling in the tittle :wink:

Edited by tipz
  • Like 1

you know what... charles eisenstein may very well be becoming my new fav person... well more importantly i believe and appreaciate his message as it has restored much hope towards were humanity is heading.

for a long time i have felt sick about the evils and attrocities that humans are cabable of, and felt rather helpless as to what if anything can be done about it. im sure many have asked the same question... is this how its meant to be? and have had that feeling that there is something very disfunctional about western society and the current money system.

charles explains well why things are.. and why the current money system doesn't work, and in doing so gives solice that things will change- that they have too and it will be a great thing for everybody!

it would be great to open up further discussion about these ideas, and possible ways of further encouraging this transition

this is another great summary clip of charles ideas

http://sacred-economics.com/film/

thanks tipz interesting. the sooner the current monetary system comes to an end the better IMO.

I'm going to watch this video today, but before I get the chance I thought I would share this. I was lucky enough to see a talk by the director of Mount Tomah botanic gardens and his chief propagator, who recently did an exchange trip with the agroforestry commission up there. The whole country is undeveloped from a technological point of view, so they are starting from scratch (they don't even know how to take cuttings properly and largely grow from seed!). The government (which I believe is a monarchy, need to check) is working towards democracy but has decreed that there won't be gross national product but instead they are using a concept called gross national happiness! On top of that, they have decided that the country will be run organically with no chemical fertilisers, pesticides etc. and no GM! They have decided to try and develop sustainably as possible, which is fantastic news for the countries nearby which will be using the water flowing from the mountains where Bhutan is situated (probably India, my geography of this area is a bit sketchy). I will be looking more in to this as time goes by, it might be something that can only work in a small, sparsely populated country which isn't easy to access and the sense of community is strong. It's a massive eco / permaculture / sustainability experiment which may well be a formula for the future, as with any luck it is so remote and apart from other countries it has chance to develop strongly before being overwhelmed by outside sources.

Okay so now I know where I know the name from, this guys voice is easy to recognise. I pretty much agree with everything this guy has to say, but the bit where I get frustrated is how do we actually go about changing our economy? I mean, our economic values seem fundamental to how our society runs - it's set up to encourage growth. By the mere fact that most people don't own land or a home, and the fact that a large proportion of our income goes on food, means that we spend all of our lives working to acquire something that already exists. Either that, or we go without. In a gift economy, I already recieve what I need and give back all that I can. It's an interesting concept, and it works on the basis of trust - assuming that everyone is not greedy and will tend to give more than they receive. I think this is already true for the vast majority of the population, who give their entire lives over to the economy in return for fuck-all, for the most part - even in the richest part of the world. What it doesn't take in to account is the greedy bastards who take / control everything - how do we prevent that, especially since they already have control of everything? We have to take it back first, and that is never pretty.

Capitalism - no trust. Based on the principle: If everyone looks after themselves, there is no need to help anyone else.

Gift economy - trust: Based on the principle: If everyone looks after everyone else, there is no need to help yourself.

It's a case of growing up and starting to use trust to base the economic principles instead of paranoia and fear! And we have no choice but to achieve it, because if we don't then our paranoia and fear will cause us to destroy the very environment we need to survive.

EDIT: typos

Edited by whitewind