The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Goldtop

WANTED: Grandaddy Loph

Hello, im after an old loph, seed grown, 10 yrs +, The older the better. Just wanna add a bit more heritage to my collection :P Love the look of an old wolly cactus. If anyones got one wanting to sell, or trade, i can offer a couple of younger buttons/ grafts. Hopefully someones willing to give up such a prize possession. Thanks

forgive my ignorance, isn't number 2 just a youngish caespitose?

is that worth 200?

Looks pretty much like a caespitose to me. Wouldn't personally pay $200 for such a small plant I don't think. Let alone $299, which is what they are asking, starting bid. The other one is much bigger, but still very expensive. Not to mention there is a suss looking discolouration on the main head.

Lmao, if that caespit is 20 years old then im the president of nambia, i also own 3 cargo carriers that are converted to a 34 star cruise liners for the 7428 wives i have.

The colour on the main head of the larger one seems normal ime, my larger one often has shades of red and purple on the older growth where new pups are going to push thru.

I wonder how this seller is getting away with selling lophs on ebay, i get pinged as soon as i list them with any name and dont bother even trying anymore. I guess some ppl watch and report sellers they know and/or dislike.

• Like 1

he gets away with it because of ebay's search keyword function... notice he always uses cactus. <-- see that dot ... or he sometimes uses the word cacti. <-- same dot at the end.

If it wasn't for his stupid pricing.. he's almost smart...

whisperz,...

• Like 2

why arent you allowed to sell lophs on ebay

That guy's prices are a joke, but yeah clever move on the full stop in the label.. although I notice there's another ad from someone else for cutton cactus without a full stop so maybe its another reason. Anyway, both of those prices are ridiculous!

I don't understand what you mean about the dot? Whether you search for "cactus" without the dot or "cactus." with the dot, you still get the exact same hits. ???

Yeah I think he's just a ntubag that like to put full stops after the word cactus.

it has to do with filtering algorithms... a string search for "button cactus." will turn up "button cactus" hits, but the ebays filtered list keyword match for 'button cactus' won't flag a warning, that would require manual verification, because a search string is not the same as a filtered keyword match.

Simple programming... but what do I know... I only have a diploma in IT & degree in Comp Sci...

Yah, I know, I have a big head...

whisperz,...

why do you think alot of spam email gets through email filters... ?... maybe this will get you to see the light of this simple bypass example.

Edit: because keyword detection, only detects keywords spelt exactly the same... for example: button != butt0n <== 0 is zero

But using that won't work, in using ebays search string.. because you want the words "cactus button" to be found, so to do that and yet

modify the string to bypass the keyword filter "cactus button" change it too: "cactus button." ...

canyoufindthisstringbutton cactuseasilyornot == search string finds the words: button cactus and displays the results. Dont try this, it's more complicated than it seems.

Once the string is found... it is then 'I guess' the string is then compared from the actual listing against the keyword filter... but the actual

listing words are: "button cactus." and since "button cactus." dont match "button cactus" ... no flag for manual verification is done.

Maybe someone else should test this method, and see if variations continues to work

Edited by whisperz
  • Like 1

interesting stuff whisperz

but why the hell cant you sell lophs on ebay ???

i dont get it they arent illeagal and people sell all kinds of cacti and other plants on there wats the deal

only lophs sold in europe can be sold... on ebay... peyote are illegal in many countries.. and since ebay is an american company, they can dictate anything

they like where ever they want... remember lophs are illegal in a few AU states...

why arent you allowed to sell lophs on ebay

yeah they have specifically been banned for some reason and last time i tried to list a few pc cuts and plants they were removed under the same criteria even though there are obviously tricks still there, even with san pedro in the name, and the email i got from them under Drugs and Drug paraphinalia stated Trichocereus pachanoi San Pedro as well as peyote. so i asked them to tell me when this happened as i couldnt find anything they would fall under in the prohibited list, and if it is all species of Trich or just pachanoi, just plants or seeds aswell etc. and after waiting over a month sent another one, been over 2 months now and still no reply so i havent tried listing again since then, bit of a worry. i dont know why there are still heaps on there if thats the case but i think my profile must of been red flagged or something cause i tried to sell the book "Indoor Marijuana Horticulture" ages ago not knowing it was banned.

sorry to side track.

Edit - yeah like whispez said they are illegal in some states which is why buttons are banned but i dont see the problem with trichs, bull shit.

Edited by levicacti

levicacit...

Same problem.. best to use a new ebay account for slightly suspicious items only... and use modified search strings...

whisperz,...

ok thats pretty shit

does anyone know for sure wich states in oz they are banned in i've read some conflicting things on this

QLD, ACT, SA ... though I too cannot fully verify it myself... Though, I'm sure the other states will eventually follow.. Entheogen's are making headlines last couple years...

ok cheers whisperz

i hope they dont get banned completely

i'd hate to have my collection suddenly become illeagal that would really fucken suck :(

Edited by myco

naw.. don't worry ... most people have no idea what they are.. even the cops... when I got raided 2 years ago.. I had hundreds of lophs ranging from 1 month old to 60 years old... they didn't confiscate them... even though in my state, I've read of people having their collections taken... it might be descretionary ... just don't be a hard arse to them... and if you did get caught with them... most likely they judge would see it as a private collection of interest.. nothing more, and either drop the charge, or charge with no conviction, or you'd get a slap on the wrist with something like $500 fine.. fsck all .. well worth the risk of keeping them.

whisperz,...

cheers man that makes me fell a bit better :)

i probly wouldnt get rid of em if they did become banned i'd probly just get paranoid about having em

your right though i think most cops probly wouldnt know wat they are either

hopefully if they do get banned they wont start educating the cops about em more and tellin em to keep an eye out for em

though i've never had any trouble with the law and i dont intend to

i did get a speeding fine once :) haha

WA has classified lophs as 'noxious weeds'

But I haven't seen the weed police out and about lately :)

Cheers

Got

haha how are they weeds i dont think they'd grow wildly like a weed very well