The Corroboree
Seldom

Help with psychotria

i recently had a non member gift me a young psychotria plant:

seno9c.jpg

r2nhxs.jpg

which judging by the yellowing of the leaves has copped a bit too much sun. The person i got it from got it from a bigger plant owned by his Dad, but doesn't really know plants and scattered some kind of little fertilizer balls on top of the soil, which i've had to try and take out, so the yellowing could be some kind of nutrient burn. i've never grown this plant before, at the moment i've got her sitting in partial sun on a windowsill, and she at least seems to be happy. if this was your plant, what would you be doing?

also it's probly too young to tell, but an id would be cool aswell

thanks people

I'm afraid your plant is unlikely to be a Psychotria as it has alternate leaves. I'm pretty sure that Psychotria sp. and Rubiaceae plants in general have oppisite or whorled leaves.

You are better off getting a known plant from a known Psychotia grower. There are plenty around here.

• Like 1

Yeh, doesnt look like my Psychotria

Thirded. That definitely doesn't look like any Psychotria that I have ever seen.

damn. ok thanks guys.

looks more like a leaf spot disease then sunburnt also....id repot it spray with a fungicide or an insecticide incase there little bugs chewing the underside of those leaves like spider mite..if you wanna grow to health anyway,...psychotria should have pointy leaf tips also those on yr plant are rounded leaves :scratchhead: ....

Edited by applesnail

The shots are a bit blurry, but it looks like a Citrus or other Rutaceae to me (looks like it might have 1-foliolate leaves and they are really shiny) or maybe a small Raphiolepis.. Better shots needed for positive ID...

if you want a psychotria i have a small leaf cutting with two 10cm stems coming up. these are P. Carthaginensis

nah, i live in the New England, it probly wouldn't survive the winter here anyway. thanks though

P. carth is more hardy than P. viridis :wink:

• Like 1