The Corroboree
Torsten

Is this the next step in the federal attourney general's plant schedules?

I know it doesn't say anything about plants, but keep in mind that the proposed model schedules were mostly about precursors and drugs rather than about plants. It's just that we focussed on the plants in our fight.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/12883613/police-seek-drug-chemical-import-changes/

Police seek drug chemical import changes

AAP February 13, 2012, 2:12 am

Police say a loophole in federal laws is allowing chemicals used by drug gangs to make amphetamines to be imported into Australia.

Fairfax reports the precursor chemicals are being legally brought into Australia even though it's illegal to possess them in most states under a series of local laws.

"We've got situations where some precursor chemicals are legal to come in, but once they're in Victoria and elsewhere, they become illegal because they're a (banned) drug," Victoria Police Superintendent Gerry Ryan has told Fairfax.

State authorities, the Australian Federal Police and Customs are preparing a proposal to the federal government to make the importation of the chemicals illegal, which would close the loophole.

can't help but notice you say it mostly addresses precursors and drugs, do you have any info on the specifics of what will be included in the proposal relating to plants?

Edited by bulls on parade

it doesnt seem to have anything to do with the plants

all this law crap is a little confusing to me but this seems like a whole new proposal

they seem to be going after anthing they can maybe the plant thing isnt going through

so they're trying anything else they can come up with

it does say in the article

Federal Police and Customs are preparing a proposal to the federal government to make the importation of the chemicals illegal

im probably wrong here but to me it seems like something completely different to the proposed plant laws

the only proposal published was the one from last year which is why I would not be surprised if this is the one that incldues the plants.

myco, I read the article and I know it doesn't say anything about plants. That's the whole point. I had always suspected this would be presented to parliament at the point where there is some urgency about drug manufacturing in the media, so that no one bothers looking at the rest of it.

Last year i'm pretty sure they may have been talking about this, i read an article in The Advertiser about them wanting to restrict certain solvents from being sold at hardware stores, sorry i can't remember any specifics. I found it a bit ridiculous and haven't heard anything about it since.. but it is a little worrying.

The wording of the article I read last year reminded me strongly of the plant scheduling... so this thread just reminded me of it.

edit: actually after re-reading your linked article.. i'm thinking it's less to do with what we can buy in australia and more to do with what we can order overseas.

Edited by Distracted

distracted, if you read the actual proposal from last year you will see it covers many precursors that are typically imported rather than made here. Even if ther eis some new proposal, it would still be a subset of the one from last year, which is why I doubt they would separate them.

it would still be a subset of the one from last year

i saw another article in the herald about it today, unremarkebly there's no mention of the fact that the proposal for changing the legislation for precursor imports may be the same proposal which was put forward to outlaw so many entheogenic plants from last year. i didn't actually realise that was the case until reading ^ post.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/political-news/loophole-in-drug-chemical-import-20120212-1szto.html

what would be so bad about having open debate about this? why attach it to such a seedy, clearly evil activity like meth production? makes me sick to think it may be played out in such an underhanded way

• Like 1