The Corroboree
niggles

Poll: Whos a vegetarian?

POLL: Who's a vegetarian?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Stuff like tofu, tempeh, etc, etc just never caught my interest. I dont even know if my market sells them or not.

In a way I think I conciously avoided looking at first, I quit meat and dairy so fast that I knew taunting myself with fake meats or meat like things or 'meat and dairy alternatives' would just remind me of meat and potentially cause stress... so I just forgot about meat and ignored anything "vegetarian" too and invented my own style.

Looking at tofus nutritional profile now I see nothing that would attract me anyway, and it probably costs quite a bit more than my usual food.

...strange that its often represented as 'low fat', its 53% fat by calories and 31% by weight :blink:

...strange that its often represented as 'low fat', its 53% fat by calories and 31% by weight

what tofu are you looking at? i just looked at the block in my fridge and it has total 5g/100g, 3g polyunsaturate, 1g mono, and the rest whatever else there is.

I was going by the USDA's assay of "Tofu, raw, regular, prepared with calcium sulfate", its apparently exactly like yours lol.

Its 84.5% water so by dry weight basis its 31% fat, and 4.8 grams fat is 43.2 calories in a 76 calorie block of tofu so its... oops.. 57 calorie % fat. Nearly all the rest of reported calories is from protein, I've always wondered about that.. if much/most protein is not burned for energy should it be counted as calories?

Probably some rediculously complicated math involved in the answer to that one

uff, i was never into this calorie counting business so i'll just leave you to it.

I dont blame you, I use calories mainly in comparing energy sources rather than figuring total calories. Even that would be a pain in the ass if I did it for more than figuring broad outlines.

I'f I'm hungry I eat, and if I'm still hungry I eat more.

Based on research, tho, it seems the health impact of various food components are largely relative to their ratio of the diet.. like a shit-ton of sugar promoting diabetes, a shit ton of fat promoting stroke, loads of processed poly fats in the fat fraction of a thing doing some bad stuff, etc. Not to mention that trendy 'low fat' things tend to be disguising their real fat content, hard to trick the ratios calculated from a large quantity tho.

I used to keep a can of pure canola oil labled "fat free" "serving size 0.1 grams" on a shelf for the pure hilarity of it.

I say used to because someone actually ate it :lol:

Well my personal belief is that if you eat a lot of food (which probably 80-90% of Westerners would qualify as), a slightly polarized diet is probably better than a balanced one. This is reflected in the traditional inuit and Japanese diets, both outliers if the modern diet is the mean. According to current health dogma - they should have all been obese, dying of heart attacks, etc.

The reason for this antithesis working is probably that their bodies have tuned stomach and GI pH ideal to breaking down fat/protein and protein/carbohydrate respectively, as well as optimizing the enzyme levels.

You can't have all the cakes and eat fractions of all of them, in other words. :P

Ah Jabez I hadn't realised that photo was of you! You're a brave man, respect.

The Pecs

Not bad for a veggo

Have been, wish I still could but my iron and b12 levels shot to the shit. For six months I was total vego - purely for ethical and weight loss reasons and then I incorporated fish into my diet for the second six months. I ate my first piece of meat just under a year before I quit it on Dec 22 2011.

Im trying to just eat occasional chicken and perhaps freerange lamb, not beef or pigs because they seem to sentient.

Have you tried iron tablets? I've been pescetarian for 3+ years, with blood tests every 4 months, and only had a problem about 2+ years in with iron. Started taking one tablet a day and the anaemia left quickly.

Whitewind I love the photoshopping effort on that long haired Burmese railway worker, you have done splendidly in regards to bringing out the color in the picture, and adding modern boardies for the kiddies.

• Like 1