The Corroboree
Chef

My First Seed Attempt

Hey guys, i have finally pulled my finger out and decided to attempt some seed grown cacti as I hear it can be very rewarding :)

So far I have planted Trichocereus Spachianus and Cereus Validus which I thought would be a good starting point for a first seed attempt..

I have them in their take away containers as it seems to be the best method that I found online, so finger's crossed that i pull it off..

If this works I will attempt to grow a few hybrids that generous members have sent me to get the ball rolling.. I was even lucky enough to get a few Turbincarpus Lophophoroid from a different member, as it was labeled! :P Cant wait

Will post pics as soon as they germinate and keep updating as they grow..

Any advice I should adhere to?

Cheers

Chef

nice one

I have just recently started growing cacti from seed it is very rewarding day to day watching them grow and then when you graft them to peres or selinicereus it is even more rewarding

best bet would be to invest some lights and heat mats I had very poor germination and mortailty rate without them and lots of elongated seedlings

now that everything is set up im having much better germination and mortality and no elongation

If you want i can send you some pereskiopsis with that package I'm sending you soon....will get to it lol

good luck man the turbinicarpus lophophoroides look pretty cool I have a couple hammering on grafts apparently it crosses well with lophophora something i would like to try

good luck

dan

You are very generous dan, I have no peres at the moment so that would much be apreciated, i might have to send you some more money for the mailage though wouldent I?

Im not exactly in the right place to set up grow lights and what not but i think i will definately invest in a heat mat or two!!!

Once a cactus becomes elongated do they revert to normal or do they always have some kind of thin bit even afterwards?

Cheers for ya help mate

Chef

Nice chef keep us updated with results :)

I started some seeds a few months ago, spach, bridge, cereus, lithops and macro :) they were under lights for a while but my box started getting epic mould so had to move them to the shade house, during a 35C week :( they copped a fair burn but seem to be going ok.

Growing anything from seed is awesome :) creating life and such, better then having kids lol

dont worry about it chef they are only small rooted peices so i will just throw it in with the other stuff :)

I don't know when I'll be able to get it to ya though but shant be too long

Sounds like i should have gotten into this a very long time ago, all of my collection are from cuts or bought.. but is still rewarding watching them grow from tiny cuts to full blown plants :)

and thanks dan, no rush mate..

I wont worry anout posting pics of the dirt in a takeaway container so i will wait for something to happen :P

Do i just wipe off the condensation when it arrives?

cheers

edit- did you get the money danshaman? mrs laughs at me when i mention peoples names.. shes always like oooooooow a bromance hahaha.. she dosent understand my cacti fetish but loves it anyway haha

Edited by Chef

I wanna see some dirt!!!!!!

what kind of dirt is it

you must show us

and leave them humid for a while as far as i know mine are still moist a few months into it

Edited by danshaman

you should check out the pic of my turbinicarpus graft should still be in the photo strip there's 2 there to show you how quick they grow there only a couple of a couple of weeks apart

and yes I did receive the money was suprised it wasn't snatched by post lol

Good luck with your seed endevours with cacti...it is as rewarding as everyone says it is....

and congratulations on getting your hands on Turbincarpus Lophophoroid. They are stunning, and have been trying to find for ages...if you end up with spare seed would be willing to trade lophophora seeds :D

Keep us updated with pics please

get your turbinicarpus seed from koehres 2deep, I believe it is a legal import.

I have had over 10 very nice and well packaged discreetly sent packets of seed sent through from them without a hitch

Edited by tipz

Take off the Lid on a daily basis to exchange the air. Also have a very close eye on fungal infection. A little bit of white on the seeds is within the normal range. Dead seed tends to turn whitish a lot more oftenly so its a good first indicator about how old your seed is. Its not reliable but generally speaking, fresh seed does not decay so easily. Make sure there is enough water in there. Also make sure its not too wet. Cacti are no waterplants. Keep that in mind. Make sure temps are right and there´s some light shining on the seeds. If theres a white spiderweblike growth growing from one of the seeds or on the soil, remove the seed it started from and take off the lid for a few days. Then restart. If the fungal grows back, try germinating without the lid. bye Eg

well its 11pm here so i aint taking pics but i think they are germinating :)

well its 11pm here so i aint taking pics but i think they are germinating :)

great to hear that I cant wait for some pics

try water/misting with chamomile tea, it is a mild antifungal.

you will know you are giving them too much if they start looking a little tired.