The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Jonstn

Bunnings chilli clearance rack

Got these from bunnings $5 each, some of the fruit is quite shriveled and some munged leaves but they're not to bad still, re pot and some nutes and they'll be loving life :)

Ebony Fire:

post-9899-0-28841000-1328759893_thumb.jp

Thai:

post-9899-0-45682000-1328759907_thumb.jp

another 2 for the collection :)

post-9899-0-28841000-1328759893_thumb.jpg

post-9899-0-45682000-1328759907_thumb.jpg

post-9899-0-28841000-1328759893_thumb.jpg

post-9899-0-45682000-1328759907_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

My local Home Hardware had a few chillie plants with tonnes of chillies.

That ebony fire is quite a striking ornamental with its purple flower and dark leaves. Let me know if you can spare a couple of dozen seeds :)

You know it psylo :wink: I'll put some aside special for ya.

Its a nice looking plant indeed :) they had about 10 left when I went there, heaps of other varietys too

im a fan of bunnings clearance plants. specialy for vegies or herbs

• Like 1

bunnings has good plants, no doubt, and a good variety, but most of the plants you buy there, one has to harden out oneselfe, before you can plant them out.

with vegies that's often less of a problem, but for example avocado trees, which have been kept all there life under thick shade cloth, will die right away, if planted out in the ground, right away, after purchase.

an other problem is that those, plants have been nurtured, "far too well", to survive planting out, into a "more stressfull" enviroment.

most nurseries, grow there plants, as fast as they can, but this leads to problems, later when the customer, has to change the protocol.

i'm sure they are aware of this, but they will not change this, because like this, they sell far more plants (plant's die and people buy them again).

getting a spoiled plant, to be normal, takes time, and those nursery people don't wat to do this.

let me say aswell, that SAB plants, don't have this problem, just so nobody starts projecting again.

• Like 3

Planthelper is spot on.

Watch out for bugs on em, every chilli was covered in aphids last time I was in bunnings.

Planthelper, I thought you lived in Germany - how do you know about the butthole-retail-bullshed known as Bunnings ? Are they in Germany ?

Lovely chillis, those dark ones, but $5 is hardly clearance price, is it ? There's a bird in Chatswood mall who sells various plants, and a nice vibrant few habs (ie not shitty mistreated specimens) are TWO of $5. Not even marked as clearance, but regular price.

Planthelper, I thought you lived in Germany - how do you know about the butthole-retail-bullshed known as Bunnings ? Are they in Germany ?

no, i live in oz, but i have been to europe, a fair bit over the years, and i lived there, till i was 29 years old.

overseas, it's a bit the same as with bunnings, some major stores, do sell, plants which have been basicly spoiled too much, and they shit themselves once you bring them home.

but the problem is not as bad, because the climat in most parts is not as extreem as in oz.

it basicly depends, on the individual nursery, some stock "tougher plants" than others.

Fark psylo that's a sweet as deal! These ones were reduced from 10, main reason I went for them is because they were the only 2 Bunnings had that I didn't :)

I hope they don't die, they're living in the shade house ATM, if they do at least I got some seeds out of them.

How are the ornamental chillis taste-wise? I've stuck to habaneros and jalapeños so far, but those are tempting.

Havnt gotten around trying them yet, will let you know how they are :) it accidentally got caught in the crossfire of my insect spray so a little hesitant to try the fruits that are currently on there lol.

Id say they'd taste pretty good though, to my knowledge the only thing thats different is the ornamentals don't grow as high, usually only stay bushy, could be wrong though.

How are the ornamental chillis taste-wise? I've stuck to habaneros and jalapeños so far, but those are tempting.

nothing compares to habs.They are the only 'fruity' flavoured cultivar that has any significant taste variation from all others