The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
parzival

Heating mats

Wondering if any of y'all can recommend a good website/shop in sydney to buy a heating mat for the purposes of seed germination etc, I had a quick look but couldn't seem to find anything satisfactory

cheers

i got mine from ebay..this place is great for growing supplies superfast delivery they have the cheaper ones without thermo also..and better yet it comes to yr door why yr drinking beer!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HEAT-MAT-PROPAGATION-HEAT-N-GROW-DOUBLE-THERMOSTAT-/200569719289?pt=AU_Seed_Starting_Hydroponics&hash=item2eb2e309f9

That's an expensive way to go about it. If youre comfortable with the principles of basic electrical wiring, you can buy one of these controllers for under $30

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=stc+1000

and a reptile-keeper's heat mat for another $20

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=reptile+heat+pad&_sacat=0&_dmpt=AU_Pet_Supplies&_odkw=reptile+heat&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

How big is that ebay one applesnail? I just use a pet heating mat, you can get them from petstores for around $30 I think.

There is also the option of a waterbed heating mat if you want a bit more room, which can be found on the cheap secondhand if eyes are open.

The ones with the thermostat are the shit :wink: My last one was $20 unused.

Cheers

WB

thanks for that guys I'm not sure why I didn't consider ebay but it seems like the place to look, cheers!

The 'Heat n Grow' brand you see on Ebay is awesome. Australian made so they are pricey compared to others. But you have thermostat control and speaking from personal experience, they are tough as nails. I have had my oldest one going part-time for nearly six years and it is still as good as the day I bought it.

I noticed Bunnings selling non-thermostat ones for around $35 in-built into a propogation tray. I picked one up to see how it went...awful. I think the heat setting is permanently set to what must be 40c+...way too hot for just about anything. You have to elevate the pots away from the base and open up all the vents on the propgation lid...kind of defeats the purpose. Anyway, waste of money, unless I grabbed a dud.

I noticed Bunnings selling non-thermostat ones for around $35 in-built into a propogation tray. I picked one up to see how it went...awful. I think the heat setting is permanently set to what must be 40c+...way too hot for just about anything. You have to elevate the pots away from the base and open up all the vents on the propgation lid...kind of defeats the purpose. Anyway, waste of money, unless I grabbed a dud.

I grabbed one as well because it was cheap and mine runs at around 40 deg but I haven't run it when its cold so it could be ok through winter.

Cheers

Got

I've got a heating mat for beer. It warms to about 27 degrees. Usually folks chuck 'em when they realize brewing's not for them. :-)

hey chilli that one is twin tray i think...they make em up to a quad tray size they are little pricey the heat n grows, but my theory is there manufactured for the propagation of plants, and for someone like me who has a small child who likes to sometimes destroy my seedlings by being over curious, i decided to fork the extra cash for the safety factor of water and electricity...lol...there well worth every penny spent on one! even the single matts without thermostat are quite good ive found and alot cheaper...

Edited by applesnail