The Corroboree
at0m

Amazonian Mushroom Eats Indestructible Plastics

http://gizmodo.com/5880768/amazonian-mushroom-eats-indestructible-plastics

Amazonian Mushroom Eats Indestructible Plastics

We use polyurethane to make just about everything—garden hoses, furniture, the entirety of my local 99-cent store. It's easy to produce, durable, and dirt cheap. What it isn't is recyclable—there isn't a single natural process that breaks it down. That is until a newly-discovered Amazonian fungus takes a bite.

Pestalotiopsis microspora (not shown) is a resident of the Ecuadorian rainforest and was discovered by a group of student researchers led by molecular biochemistry professor Scott Strobel as part of Yale's annual Rainforest Expedition and Laboratory. It's the first fungus species to be able to survive exclusively on polyurethane and, more importantly, able to do so in anaerobic conditions—the same conditions found in the bottom of landfills. This makes the fungus a prime candidate for bioremediation projects that could finally provide an alternative to just burying the plastic and hoping for the best.

53910ac1d8d879991c2e0567278fd19a.jpg

• Like 2

very interesting and exciting.

Nature does it again! I suppose it needs water and time to do it's thing, otherwise I would just seed it around the local mall, sit back and drink a beer.

• Like 1

Very cool.

Strange that they said that PU isn't recyclable - it can be and is recycled on a massive scale. I think they meant to say biodegradable.

I thought this thread was about me. :lol: . joke.

But very interesting non the less. Yes,another of natures marvels. Dontcha just love fungi.

• Like 1

I find this rather bittersweet. It's good that polyurethane can now be fully converted into whatever this fungus converts it to, but it seems bad that there's one less reason for humanity to curb rampant wastage.

• Like 2

I find this rather bittersweet. It's good that polyurethane can now be fully converted into whatever this fungus converts it to, but it seems bad that there's one less reason for humanity to curb rampant wastage.

Nonsense, a round of instant cup noodles on me!

• Like 1

Another reason to save the amazon rainforest.