The Corroboree
mattookay

Fairy Circle in my sage pot

the other day i woke up and noticed a fairy circle (mushrooms that grow in a circle) growing around my sage. i didnt know if it was good or not so i ripped them up and threw them out. can mushrooms kill my sage? or can they live in peace together because it looked pretty kool with a ring of mushrooms!

Edited by ballzac

If the plant is healthy I wouldn't worry about it.

There are a few species of fungus that can cause problems, but in general they affect trees. Other problematic fungus is likely to occur in the early stages of growth and cause damping off problems.

Picking the fruit bodies won't do much anyway, most of the fungal growth is underground.

• Like 1

that sounds pretty magical

cool i hope it happens again.. it looked magical aswell!

dam that's cool wish you had of snapped a pic xD

• Like 1

im hoping it happens again and if it does ill def post up a pic!

Does anyone know if you can encourage a fairy circle to grow?

Just wondering :scratchhead:

Chef

Well to my knowledge... fairy circles are causes from two things which can often be interconnected. Mushrooms like growing on the edges of mycelial growth, so if the mycelium mass expands in a circle, runs out of food then stops and all the edges happen to fruit... voila!

The other way is from the drip line around plants and trees. The constant dripping of water during a rain can provide the perfect microclimate. I've seen this on quite a few pines with amanita's.

So you could potentially create a fairy ring in your backyard by introducing a fruiting species to a patch of lawn and provide some kind of circular buffer zone the mycelium can't get past?

Would be fun to experiment with... but with the random nature of mushrooms it may take years before you'd see it happen.

well myns just in a pot so i guess that stops the mycelium getting any bigger.. nothings happened yet but its been raining here for the past few days so when it stops and the sun comes out we'll see if i get another one!

Strangely enough, the centre of a fairy circle is known to be a portal to the unknown,

all those who enter are sucked into eternity...

Wonderful place to keep your mystical plants!

• Like 1

Strangely enough, the centre of a fairy circle is known to be a portal to the unknown,

all those who enter are sucked into eternity...

Wonderful place to keep your mystical plants!

that sounds awesome i really wish there where some fairy circles around my garden

with all this rain lately i might have look around you never know i might find one

i've been inside a fairy circle made out of gold tops (and others aswell), but could not find or sence any portholes.

in german they are called witches circles, after the mythical believe, they grow like this where witches did do there "things".

definately a very amazing display of nature!

i've been inside a fairy circle made out of gold tops (and others aswell), but could not find or sence any portholes.

in german they are called witches circles, after the mythical believe, they grow like this where witches did do there "things".

definately a very amazing display of nature!

was that in nature or was it a man made circle? i would think a natural one would have more power that a man made one

natural!

cool maybe it depends on the type of mushroom then maybe psychedelic ones don't need a portal cause if you eat them there is your portal xD if that makes sense

I also noticed a fairy ring of almost flourescent yellow mushooms in my little greenhouse under 50% shade, also just after all this rain. ...also on my Sage :scratchhead:

this is getting more and more interressting...

probably, various fungi, live in symbiosis, with certain plants, hmmm, maybe it's not symbiosis, but rather just, that they like the "local conditions".

the shroom experts could tell us for sure.

i noticed a possible symbiosis, between anadenanthera colubrina (vilca) and phallus impudicus (stinkhorn).

yeah plant helper i couldnt help but think that the fungi had to be a result of some symbiotic relationship with one of the alkaloids in the Sage, as it was in the same soil always used throughout the garden, in VERY similar conditions to what i have nurtured non-salvia humidity and moisture plants in, and have never noticed this particular type of growth before.

It must require the "right set of conditions" first and foremost, as i have never spotted the (or any for that matter) fungal growth on Sage that have been 'hardened' and just sitting in normal ambient conditions. Only ones in 1.6 meter tall, 1 meter wide and probably like 70cm deep greenhouses, that are msited regulary. This still only happened when the actual area around it was receiving HUGE amounts of rain recently, even though they did not directly receive any of the rain......this now makes me think the lack of , or sudden depression in light over a period of 1-2 weeks with wet conditions + a specific alkaloid from the plant = growth? :scratchhead:

Ill get some pics up when i get a chance to return to the nursery.

Edited by planthelper
selfincrimination

Im loving how this thread is still going.

Very intriguing

:scratchhead:

yah mycology is another whole level above, and im only just getting a handle on most ethnobotanical plants. Probably be a few more years before i immerse myself into the world of myco

There are a few myco heads around on the forums though