The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
CβL

The single most enthralling and illuminating talk I have ever witnessed

So I came home to my parents today, and as usual, abused the internet (don't pay for it at my flat). Well one thing lead to another, and I found myself watching TED talks on YT. Well they're great, as I'm sure many of you will know. And they are more often than not, things which change the way you view the world, at least temporarily. But then I saw one by a guy called Jeff Hawkins, about Artificial Intelligence, and was inspired to watch a more recent talk. Somehow, this 'wizard' managed to unite so many disparate parts of my knowledge in half an hour or so, that I don't know if I've ever learned so much of value in so little time.

Basically, Jeff has developed a working theory of how to create rudimentary artificial intelligence. The talk is understandably in one direction (as talks tend to go), but there are sections where he will mention 'keywords' that you may recognize from disparate parts of your knowledge. 'Sequences of sequences of sequences...', and 'Hierarchy' are recognizable from at least fractal geometry. Then he mentions how Turing machines make no assumptions about the world, and how that is their downfall. The HTM model he proposes makes the intrinsic assumption that the world is hierarchical in nature, which is exactly the same assumption we humans have made, only it's ingrained into the new architecture. There's a whole lot more, which I would certainly not be doing justice to by describing.

I make my promise to you, that this will be remembered as the crack in the seed, once we've grown the tree. If there's nothing else I've convinced you to watch, let it be this.

Here's part 1:

• Like 1

interesting so far, up to part 3.

thanks for sharing

Very interesting! I can work on it! :D

It's very logical this Pyramid shaped hierarchy truly amazing!

It's going to be very exciting to see where this leads us, and I am happy to be in the generation that will be able to do it.

Technology is amazing.