The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tripsis

Renting space in a commercial greenhouse

Does anyone know how to go about finding a commercial greenhouse which is willing to rent space? I've searched online, but can't find anything, despite knowing it can be done. Is it simply a matter of knowing the right people, or do commercial greenhouses regularly rent out free space?

Edited by tripsis

I think your best bet would to be just to contact a few and see how it goes you would think there wouldn't be too many dramas unless you wanted to sell out of there facility but there could be ways around that. Subleasing can be a nightmare and it can be easy it all comes down to the landlord at the end of the day. (By the way those giant T spach you sent me are rooted and producing pups, they look awesome.)

Couple of avenues to try:

-Contact all the Plant Rental business's in your area. You know, the ones that install and maintain plant displays, specimans in office buildings, restuarants etc. They often have more space in

their nurseries than they require. By the way, they can be very good resources for used pots too (often free)

-Vocational teaching facilities that deliver horticultural courses usually have nursery & greenhouse facilities, and can be prepared to rent space.

-Contact NGIA - Nursery & Garden Industry Australia.

Thanks for the replies guys, gives me some leads to work on. I'll get phoning then I guess!

Stillman, I didn't send you any spach, it was probably tipz.

hahah oh shit yes it was tipz.. funny what you see when you want to.

hey tripsis, where I live in the illawarra, there is a businesses based around renting out plots of land for gardening to anyone willing to pay.

its is quite reasonably priced from $25+ a week, not sure how big of an area this is though, you can get larger. Im considering getting one large enough to accommodate a greenhouse in which to garden in as I recently moved into an appt. heading out there in the new year to check it out.

Sorry if its off track but I thought maybe this could be an option where you live too?

d00d

just some 2 cents i had laying around....sharing a greenhouse will at some point probably be a big argument. you need to set boundaries with each other. what happnes if your crop, or his, is pest prone and damages your crop? do both of you agree on using chemicals, or is one organic and the other not? there can be HUGE clashes with close proximity farming. I have clashes with our neighbors and we own our own land, I am organic and they are not so it becomes a real problem. just be aware of it before signing anything.

Thanks for the suggestion d00d, sounds like its the sort of business worth looking into. If I were to search for something similar in the area I'm looking, what category of business would it fall under?

Kada, that's a very good point you raise. I was actually hoping to have use of a small, abandoned greenhouse. there some not far from me, which got me thinking, but I'm looking due to thinking of moving city and thus would need somewhere to move my plants while looking for a place to live. For the time being though, it doesn't look like it will happen.