The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
RyanVolle

Feng Shui Q: Bonsais

How are bonsai beneficial in your home? It says that it represents stunted growth, but I'd like to keep it. Can I possibly counter this negative Chi?

i am very into bonsai myself and have a few around the garden

i've recently got right into it and started creating alot of them

bonsai are in no way bad chi and do not represent stunted growth

whoever told you this is completely wrong

traditional bonsai represent many different things

depending on styles aswell as types of trees

such as pines representing longevity / long life

trees growing over rocks representing life clinging to watever it can

jin / deadwood on trees representing life and death in balance

the fact that they are small and stunted in growth is simply a way of creating something that

looks much like a large old tree in the wild they are meant to represent things that you would see in nature

and not all bonsai are small they may be small in comparison to wat the tree could grow to in the wild however

alot of traditional bonsai are alot larger than you would think

i recomend checking out this documentary

BONSAI - WORKS OF DIVINITY

i would also recomend the series

AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 GARDENS

in particular the episode where he goes to japan

it sheds alot of light on where the art came from

bonsai are a beautiful thing and if you really get into bonsai

it will with out a doubt make you look at trees and nature in general in a whole new way

after getting into it myself a simple walk in the bush for me has turned into something completely different

you will begin to apreciate trees and especially the structure of trees on a completely different level

i highly recomend it to everyone as you will definately gain a whole new apreciation of nature :)

i am very into bonsai myself and have a few around the garden

i've recently got right into it and started creating alot of them

bonsai are in no way bad chi and do not represent stunted growth

whoever told you this is completely wrong

traditional bonsai represent many different things

depending on styles aswell as types of trees

such as pines representing longevity / long life

trees growing over rocks representing life clinging to watever it can

jin / deadwood on trees representing life and death in balance

the fact that they are small and stunted in growth is simply a way of creating something that

looks much like a large old tree in the wild they are meant to represent things that you would see in nature

and not all bonsai are small they may be small in comparison to wat the tree could grow to in the wild however

alot of traditional bonsai are alot larger than you would think

i recomend checking out this documentary

BONSAI - WORKS OF DIVINITY

i would also recomend the series

AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 GARDENS

in particular the episode where he goes to japan

it sheds alot of light on where the art came from

bonsai are a beautiful thing and if you really get into bonsai

it will with out a doubt make you look at trees and nature in general in a whole new way

after getting into it myself a simple walk in the bush for me has turned into something completely different

you will begin to apreciate trees and especially the structure of trees on a completely different level

i highly recomend it to everyone as you will definately gain a whole new apreciation of nature :)

Thank you very much. I was just into bonsais. I really them, especially that scene where you could see the smaller version of a tree with its leaves growing very well. I really love plants with lots of leaves. And thanks for the info you gave me. it helps me very much.

Is it true that bananas and mangoes can be bonsais and can bear fruits?

I tried to explain Feng Shui to a mate one night when we were both drunk and he totally misinterpreted what I'd told him.

The next day we went to a flat shared by 3 co-workers in their teens and early twenties and the house was like a train wreck. My mate (who I tried to explain Feng Shui to the night before) took one look inside the place and said.

"Do you bastards know about Feng Shui, 'cause this place has a fucked one"

I've read a lot about Feng Shui and if you read enough you will find that there is so much contradictory advice that it all starts to seem like bullshit.

I believe a lot of work on the subject has come from people who've read a book or two and are trying to cash in without really knowing the finer details or even how to read and interpret a Lo pan.

When it all comes down to it Feng Shui means wind and water and relates to the flow of energy. When viewed from the perspective of energy flow Feng Shui makes a lot of sense, but some of the more esoteric stuff is hard to believe especially when there are so many differing opinions on the effect of certain objects etc.

I had this discussion with a hard arsed baby boomer who assured me Feng Shui was a crock of shit, he'd never read anything more substantial than a newspaper column (written by a young western girl) on the subject but he was 100% convinced that was all pseudo science.

We had this conversation out the front of his house, I brought the subject up when saw that his house was situated in a position with particularly bad Feng Shui and telling him triggered his arrogant reply that it was a crock. I'd noticed his house was facing a street that pointed straight into his front door.

About 8 months later a massive storm hit and a torrent of water flowed down the street his house faced and came through the front door and destroyed his house.

He still won't believe in Wind-water (Feng Shui) or energy flow.

sdfs

Edited by Teljkon

i read somewhere once that bonsai were powerful in that they held the whole energy of a mature tree into a smaller vessel, concentrating it in fact. i tried to confirm that just now and couldn't come up with anything, the closest i could find was this old chinese legend:

http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/BigPicture/FeiJiangfang.html

theres plenty of history on wikipedia of bonsai and penjing, you should read it if you wish. i think in japan it became more about aesthetics than anything. the most important thing i think is, what does it mean for you?

theres nothing cruel about nurturing a tree and possibly extending its life for a lot longer than it may have survived in the wild

traditionally bonsai's are meant to be passed down for 100's for yrs from generation to generation

stunting its growth doesnt really mean anything its not hurting the tree

and for bonsai's to thrive they need ALOT of care and attention wich is another reason theyre considered so sacred

sdfsdf

Edited by Teljkon

Yeah I've seen a vid that cuts the bonsai into, which i find, an uglier shape to 'refocus' the focus to the center of the tree and they shave off the bark... so mean.

its an art form wich i really dont consider to be mean at all

your not killing the plant just shaping it into something different

plants dont have feelings i saw it on mythbusters hahahaha :)

plants dont have feelings i saw it on mythbusters hahahaha :)

coming from the other corner for a bit of balance, read The Secret Life of Plants (1973) a book by Peter Tompkins.

coming from the other corner for a bit of balance, read The Secret Life of Plants (1973) a book by Peter Tompkins.

That's one of my all time favourites.

I believe there has been some contention over a few points in the book, but still a really good read. I read it in one sitting the first time and have referred back to it countless times.

• Like 1