The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spiders

Under the stars in the desert watching ufos

I have just returned from a fabulous week spent in the top-end of Australia - camping under the stars in the desert.

During my travels I came across an astronomer who had been living in the desert for an extended period of time primarily because of the lack of sky-glow or neon from cities. While he imparted to our group of nine information about the stars, he calmly said, 'And there, that flashing star near the tail of scorpio. That is neither a satelite, because it flashes, or a plane because it is changing direction and has no red lights.'

All of us greatly excited, we began to discuss UFOs because a member of our party had seen the Minmin lights in QLD, and upon our first evening in the area we had spoken to locals (true locals btw!) about the lights that they regularly saw in this particular area of Australia. He had told us that the indigenous peoples had enjoyed watching the 'blue' lights, but never the 'red' lights as they made you go 'crazy!'

The astronomer quite matter-of-factly told us that when he arrived in the outback he did not believe in UFOs, but had seen many, many unexplained things - particularly in areas of particular spiritual significance.

He said that he held a viewing, inviting respected astronomers from all over Australia one evening, and the afternoon before, received a phone-call from an indigenous star-gazer who told him to watch the 'south-west at 9.15'.

He and the party of respected astronomers did so, and were baffled when a red and blue light appeared from no-where- rose and flashed in the sky, then broke into to 'thousands' of little lights that all traveled to different parts of the horizon.

The other astronomers were enraged and some walked out - never to speak to this man again. They could not believe that out local astronomer had not played a trick on them.

Weeks later, his credit severely dented, he got a call from one of these astronomers who had come up with the theory that the strange flash was an experimental radar system from Perth. WHen the astronomer told the aboriginal elder about this theory, the elder laughed and turned away exclaiming 'wiya!' (no)

Another evening his partner was pointing out to a tour group the large star of canopus, when an equally bright star next to Canopus attracted her attention.

"and that star,' she whispered to the tour, 'shouldnt be there.'

As soon as she had said the words, the star blinked out to the astonishment of all attending!

The monoliths in the area - and the vast landscape itself has a strong spirit or presence that i felt in my dreams that evening. The site of a monolith and an eon flashing in a second as if nothing - and ancient presence. Truely Australia's most mystical place

We watched the flashing lights and the darting points of light dance across the sky nightly

[This message has been edited by bluemeanie (edited 27 September 2002).]

sounds like fun. i've always enjoyed the vastness and clarity of the outback sky at night. strange thing happened one day here in the mountains once, i was having lunch in the backyard and using my binoculars to check out some forestry logging on a nearby hill when for no reason that i can think of i trained the binocs on the sky above me. there was a chrome sphere just sitting there, couldn't be seen with the naked eye. never did discover what it was.

interesting story, but....you sure you weren't tripping on blue meanies??? wink.gif

Yeah when I go up to Rockhampton, I often drive out the bush for the night on my own to have a "nice" smoke, take few others "stuff" it's pretty awesome just staring at the space while you are on other planet, with the pitch blackness, no city lights/glows that I am used living here in Brisbane, and few times I tired to take few mates of mine with me can they kind of don't understand why I liked it, they reckon it's "too" quiet, I am like "hey what the fuck you mean??" I have lived with the quiet/silent world since I was born, and I just don't understand why the hearing don't like living in silent world, I mean I LOVE IT!!!! whats wrong just not able to 'hear' and just observe the stars and the surroundings it's pretty weird and interesting, I guess I will never be able to explain what its like, it will be like me "explaining" what the colour of blue looks like to a visually blind person...

Where we were camping was 200kms from the nearest station or roadhouse, next to a medium-sizerd meteor crater in NT. From the time we arrived in NT we were hearing all sorts of stories. There is even a town simnilar to Roswell, New Mexico, with the tourist cry, come stay with the UFOs and all this kind of thing.

The desert landscape in NT is amazing - vast and endless and with a strong spiritual resonance - the desert oaks, mulgas and acacias on top of the red-sand-dunes and spinifex sterching out forever in ever direction with monolithic stones poping up periodically - all with spiritual and historical significance to the indigenous peoples. Truely awesome!

In fact as ive travelled i have experienced a few different varieties of paranormal experience.

On Phillip Island one evening when i was 18 my girlfriend at the time and i saw a strange moon sized orange ball calmly, and silently, cruise over our head out towards the ocean.

The ball of light was apparently reported nightly from one of those islands out in the Bass Strait.

I was also reading in the paper of areas in the Grampians where people nightly see UFOS - so common infact, that the locals are quote 'bored with them'.

I think the UFOs and lights are far more to do with the resonant spirituality of the place than aliens themselves. If your interested in alternate hypothesis' of paranormal activity - pls read 'the Mothman Prophercies' by John Keel - and its NOTHING like the movie!!!

I have also lived in a haunted house - and that was a freaky experience!!!!!!!!!!!

and no mushrooms were harmed in the experience! smile.gif

Guest Mesqualero

Was this at a place called "Wycliffe well" ??

It was in the northern territory

I love the quote 'it will be like me "explaining" what the colour of blue looks like to a visually blind person...'

[This message has been edited by bluemeanie (edited 28 September 2002).]

Living in the centre of Glasgow, Scotland for years, occasionally seeing a star, never the plethora of stars you see here. The thick orange glow of the city just shrouds everything. The constant noise of the emergency services and other traffic, arguments, kids, breaking glass, TVs and dogs is also something that you don't realise thats there, until its not. Here in Canberra it is pretty dark, you can see endless stars.

I sit at Aussie friends BBQs at night sometimes, just gazing. Most people don't truely appreciate the darkness and silence.

When I'm at work, and look out the window, and some days ther are no clouds at all, just endless blue sky. Thats amazing for me as well.

l8r Kai

At a friends place on a pier me and at least 7 more saw a tiny bright white light switch on and off zig zag pattern accross the night sky.

It looked like a sattelite until we realized that it zig zagged, instead of moving in a straight line.

And yes, me too loves the silence and the darkness of the night.

If I come to OZ in a year and a half or so, who's going to take me camping in the middle of nowhere?

Australia is a camper's dream.

One of the most spiritual feeling places ( scenary etc ) I have seen was in southern NSW around Batlow. Used to walk outside for a piss in the early hours of the morning and the stars were bloody amazing. The sunrises and sunsets were also so different to what we get over here in terms of colours and patterns. even the mountains seemed to have a weird presence about them.

Later.

the batlow area was exactly the place i was speaking of, it being my turf and all. what brought you over this way garret? fruit picking?

After EB 2 I was suppossed to be picking fruit in Stanthorpe with a mate but we couldn't get a job due to lack of vehicle.

He knew someone who had picked in Batlow so we got on the next bus down there.

Was there about 2 months picking a few Kms south of town at Sedges orchard.

Makes for an interesting walk back from the pub in total darkness.

Definately want to visit the place again oneday.

Later.

Guest Mesqualero
Originally posted by bluemeanie:

It was in the northern territory

I love the quote 'it will be like me "explaining" what the colour of blue looks like to a visually blind person...'

[This message has been edited by bluemeanie (edited 28 September 2002).]

I know it was in the Northern Territory...

Im pretty sure Wycliffe Well is the place you are talking about.. I've been there.. I used to live in the Territory for a few years.

http://www.totaltravel.com/travelsites/wycliffewell

Originally posted by garret:

Was there about 2 months picking a few Kms south of town at Sedges orchard.

Makes for an interesting walk back from the pub in total darkness.

Definately want to visit the place again oneday.

[/b]

i used to pick across the road at montague orchard. gave the game away despite being damn good at it, got better things to do now. can't believe i didn't spot you out on the road. let me know if you find yourself heading this way again, there's all sorts of fun to be had.

Originally posted by waterdragon:

can't believe i didn't spot you out on the road. let me know if you find yourself heading this way again, there's all sorts of fun to be had.

Me and my mate used to hitch into town pretty much every day after work. Pretty amazing that we got lifts most of the time even though there was two of us.

Hope to get over that way in the next couple of years or sooner depending on how my job goes.

It was near yulara actually. Loved it there