The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Forum Name

Guest auto302823

A lot of these words are heavy with meaning, depending on the position your in. Witchcraft means many things to many people; so does spirituality; so does magic. There is no way anyone can agree to any one meaning, since the significance of each has many vested interests.

Personally, I don't like any of them.

But what I imagine going on here, is a discussion of traditional folk practice, specifically those that have been ignored and denigrated by institutional science. These are the under-practices, the lore of the feminine, the poor, the ethnic, the primitive, the generic other. Anything that isn't high rational western scientific.

What I'd like to see is a forum dedicated to openly discussing any folk practice, from european witchcraft, to indigenous shamanism and healing, to astrology, to chinese medicine. Take your pick and and run with it.

I'd like to see the forum called something like folk practice.

auto.

Guest DragonFyre
Originally posted by spiraleyes:

awareness is a better state of consciousness smile.gif

in actuality awareness IS consciousness, there are three levels of being easily identified with meditation and looking into the self

Animalistic states (egos, etc)

Intellectual (thoughts, calculations)

Consciousness (awareness)

though consciousness is "true" intelligence wink.gif

ie; if one can learn to listen to ones mind, ones mind will answer ones questions...

[This message has been edited by DragonFyre (edited 25 April 2002).]

Originally posted by auto302823:

But what I imagine going on here, is a discussion of traditional folk practice

this is the essence of this discussion. These words are just descriptors for folk practices, which is why they all overlap. I like the concept of this, but really don't like the phrase 'folk practices'.

Is there a more pleasant sounding term for this??

Its like going round in circles. But isn't the more pleasant sounding term for "folk Practices" simply Paganism? as in ethno cultural practices and beliefs that lie outside of the christian institution? or practical sciencé.

So call me a heathen. Cause I like to practice my own system of spirituality even if it involves taking conciousness expanding substances. And more often than not I enter a magical dimension that is so much more enlightning than the consensus reality that I am supposed to conform to.

So I guess Auto, spitituality covers all of the areas you wish to discuss.Its an all encompassing word and with respect I can't see why you have a problem with it.

Its simply because these terms have a wide range of personal meanings that allows us to discuss and argue and muse on many areas of belief, experience and personal thoughts.

Magic and spirituality cover the whole spectrum of ideology and our personal perspectives on the nature of reality.

PS...and they don't call em Magic Mushrooms for nothing!

Peace

Guest Mesqualero

I always seem to agree with you anubian lights.. you make alot of sense... I reckon we'd get along well smile.gif

(that is if u can tolerate man-children) wink.gif

peace...

Guest auto302823
Originally posted by anubian lights:

don't like the phrase 'folk practices'. Is there a more pleasant sounding term for this??

I agree, Torsten. 'practices' is a very dry, rational, straight feeling word. 'folk' is the heart of it, but I can't think of a nice extra word or metaphor to sum up everything else -- yet. I'm working on it smile.gif

anubian lights, I don't want to diss any of those words, or any of their various meanings particluarly -- in many ways they all do good things -- its just that I find them confusing because they are so laden with exclusive connotations. For example, when you say paganism or spirituality here, I realise you mean them in an expansive and encompassing sense, but there is residual, perhaps overpowering senses to both, which get in my way of reading them as you do.

Paganism -- I think specifically of the celtic and druidic, particularly their motifs and beliefs.

Spirituality -- I think of spiritualism, communication with the dead, seances, voodoo and all that.

Can you see then, that for me, these words exclude lots of other good things too. Maybe this is just a failure of words, that they necessarily exclude something.

But I was hoping 'folk' would cover a lot of ground, and has a nice ring to it. It hasn't been burned by the utopian new-age, is still kinda dirty. I like that.

pc

auto

Cool. Auto, thanks for making clear where your head space is at regarding your relationship to words like these. I can so see where you are coming from. All words have conotations, you have very definite conscious associations with these words.Your definition of Paganism is close but it should encompasses so much more than just the Celt's or the Druid's. Like if you wander naked under the full moon, or collect shells by the sea, or take some mushrooms and climb a mountain, I'd probably call you a bit of a pagan. I see a pagan as a rebel. Dresses a bit different, thinks a bit different, doesn't really accept the artificial society, and loves being in nature and learning the secret of plants and their magical properties.

But I'm just as vibed to call it folk-lore.

I'd prefer Star-Lore, but thats only my trip.

But you have such a dark perspective on Spirituality, communication with the dead..yeah man that bad use of magic.

Spitituality is more about being reconnected with nature and the cosmos you live in.

Folk has a cool tone to it..Folk Magic.

Ahh that sounds familiar..

my vote 'consciousness'. you can even split the forumn into two, doesnt worry me what this one is called but i definitely think conciousness deserves it's own forum.

didnt i already post something like this... or did i dream it?

Guest DragonFyre

Consciousness is a hard concept though cuz alot of people can easily mistake sub-conscious and un-conscious states for the real thing...

Guest Mesqualero

This discussion highlights how ultra-personal ones spiritual beliefs are.

I'm not even sure if that is grammatically correct... :P

Guest auto302823

Mmmm, I actually like Folk Magic. How about everybody sleep on that for awhile and see how it sits? I'll even start a topic on some folk-magic, to get it rolling wink.gif

This message may or may not be grammatically correct. That is all.

Guest DragonFyre

I like the idea of "folk magic" and such but this still doesnt encompass Spirituality... and not all magic is "folk" magic either

I thought the term Magic & Spirituality was good cuz it kinda encompasses most beliefs

not keen on the 'paths' idea either... mainly cuz of the fact most people dont even know the true path, or any path other than that of involution...