The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Stillman

Hybrid Question G."HIBOTAN NISHIKI"

I am curious about Gymnocalycium mihanovichii v friedrichii cv "HIBOTAN NISHIKI" I have a few cultivars and I want to cross this back with the more traditional Gymnocalycium mihanovichii or friedrichii all of my specimens come through Bunnings or the likes so I am think most of them are somewhat hybridised anyway. What interest me is that the Hibotan nishiki can grow on there own roots. Moses on this forum actually has seedlings that he has sprouted which look cool as, its mainly a bit of sport but was hoping for a bit of information on variegated cacti and the likes, anyone working on any cool colours or patterns?

Here are some pics of what I will use for breeding stock.

Not sure what this is exactly but it is variegated and in full flower right now

DSCF2232.jpg

A Gymnocalycium mihanovichii v friedrichii cv "HIBOTAN NISHIKI" (or as close enough that I could get)

DSCF2235.jpg

Sold as Gymnocalycium mihanovichii but the flower is more friedrichii so not sure if its a hybrid etc

DSCF2237.jpg

Anyway I am going to set up a controlled light box and have a go and see what colours variations and patterns I can get.

• Like 1

I always assume that damn near any Gymno in a box store is a hybrid. so many readily cross and so many places just mass produce them without any control. They should all grow on their own roots though, except for the solid red/pink things.

Yep the Gymnos are crossed and mislabelled to death

but the top pic is a pretty good example of G. mihanovichii (var. filadelfiense) because if its semi-closed flowers its a less likely to hybridise as readily but its flower is obviously a bit drab because of it.

haha you've got the bug too now i see

this link has pix of the mother plants that my seedlings are from and some links for further reading.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26503&st=0&p=284566&hl=moses&fromsearch=1&

my seedlings were crossed from gymncalycium "hibotan" and the green/purple gymnocalycium mihanovichii pictured in the above thread.

Love your "nishiki" :drool2: def the way to go crossing her as apparently the red forms are the strongest so you'll def get some coloured seedlings from the cross.

Good luck :)

Awesome stuff Moses yep I got the bug good. A lot of my stuff is in flower at present so I will have a chance over the next couple weeks to try and create some hybrid seeds and fingers crossed I get some cool variations amongst it all.

Yep the Gymnos are crossed and mislabelled to death

No kidding.

Both of these came labeled as G. anisitsii

post-3765-0-77686800-1319863755_thumb.jp

According to the cactus-art website,

Gymnocalycium friedrichii and G. stenopleurum are sometimes combined with G. mihanovichii, and sometimes kept as separate species. The main distinctions of G. friedrichii and G. stenopleurum from G. mihanovichii are:

• G. friedrichii has prevalently purplish pink, wide open flowers and well-pronounced polymorphism of spines. Besides it has tall slender ribs and roller-shaped prominent thickening around areoles.
  • G. mihanovichii has wider, lower ribs, in juvenile plants divided into separate chins, in maturity every rib have flat surface and a pleat above each areole. But the essential thing is its pale or brownish-yellow, not fully opening flower.
  • G.stenopleurum Ha white, fully opening flowers.

So what would a plant with white, fully opened flower with purple tipped petals be called?

post-3765-0-77913400-1319864048_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-77686800-1319863755_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-77913400-1319864048_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-77686800-1319863755_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-77913400-1319864048_thumb.jpg

I would call it awesome

but seriously maybe a G friedrichii / stenopleurum cultivar? I am very interested in Hybridising Gymnos I think this is OK as long as the time is taken to acknowledge each and every cross.

Today I attempted to crossed

G friedrichii with G baldianum I crossed both plants, I am interested in wether a) it takes. and B) the progeny will have different characteristics depending on which species was the mother/ father?

I don't pretend to understand plant genes let alone loose cacti genes but should make for a cool project hope I get some seeds.

here are the two plants in question

DSCF2263.jpg

DSCF2264.jpg