The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
foolsbreath

Ethnobotanical wines

After viewing the post about henbane beer, I will voice a thought i have had for a while,

Does anybody have any plant materials they would like to see incorporated into a ferment?

If so pm me, as I woulld be happy to oblidge, can make in style desired as well,sweet, dry, fruit or vitis wines?

Here's some food for thought,

Secondary fermentation in wines using certain bacterias have the ability to produce biogenic amines, usually considered a bad thing due to their inpaction on sensory qualities of the wine, but could this lead to wines of increased, or possibly decreased medicinal value?

for instance the amino acids are decarboxylated to biogenic amines

Histidine to histamine

Tyrosine to tyramine

Lysine to Cadaverine

Ornithine to Putrescine

Argenine to Spermine

and so on with other amines such as phenylethylamine, ethanolamine, ethylamine and methylamine being found in wine post secondary fermentation at levels up to 20 mg per litre

Obviously some of these things we would like to keep to minimal quantities such as tyramine and histamine for fear of adverse reactions and cadaverine and putrescine due to their less than inviting bouqet, but depending on your starting material, there could be many novel amines introduced at low rates to wine?

I remember reading something about benzaldehyde being aminated in yeast fermentation to something like PPA (stimulant).

Also phenylalanine would be decarboxylated to PEA which is 'blamed' for some of the magic of chocolate.

Personally I'd like to see a nice tasting and sedating wine. Maybe with non-somniferum poppy petals?

I spotted a bottle of 'Sedative Wine' in the organic grocer in west end. Have no idea what ingredients in the wine but i can check it out next time.

abit off topic, sorry, but a quater ov buds left in a bottle ov cheap brandy for a month or more, makes for a very smoothe drink w/nicely sedating qualities ;)

maybe poppy petals and lotus for starters

can u buy barrels of red wine?

for mixing up for example lotus wine then bottling and could u cork it so its air tight or use a screw top?

cheers

aaron

How about incorporating Catha Edulis onto your process. Apparently a viable alternative to chewing dozens of Quat leaves for the stimulant effects, the young leaves can be steeped in red wine for 8 weeks to release the ephedrine-like alkaliods (cathonine?). Maybe incorporating the flora into the fermentation process boost the extraction from the bushells and make for a highly-charged glass of vino. Note that fresh leaves should be used within 24 hours of picking, as they lose their potency if left to dry out.

C12H16N2:

I spotted a bottle of 'Sedative Wine' in the organic grocer in west end. Have no idea what ingredients in the wine but i can check it out next time.

The active ingredient in this was most likely Valeriana Officinalus

so couldnt u use d ry khat leaves to make winbe?

could u make a heimia wine?

do u need fermented leaves or would unactivated dry leaves work?

btw how do u activate already dry heimia?

thanx

aaron

How about making meads using active honey?

There must be some interesting honey down in Tasmania, I think it would make a great mead.

that would put a very different perspective on root beer too ;)

A German migrant has been using Pink Bells (Tetratheca ciliata) for brewing to make a ‘bush Benedictine’. Reported to produce audio hallucinations!

Sounds like its worth a follow up.

I'd love to try a Sceletium wine someday. I'm thinking a White might go better with it than a Red. It would take 3 grams of 'prefermented' dried Sceletium in 23L to give ~100mg/750mL bottle. The general Kanna description says ~50mg is an active oral dose, so 2 dose/bottle would be safe? The only thing is that it would make 30 bottles and most people I know wouldn't want any(because they don't drink wine). That's alot of wine for one person! Maybe I'll let it age and really space them out. Would be really nice to unwind with after hard day.

Any idea what ammount of fresh 'unfermented' material would = 3g dried 'fermented'. It would be interesting to play around with 'prefermentation', 'primary fermentation' or 'secondary fermentation' and when to add the Sceletuim in regards to final potency, but that would take years for one person to do and a good memory. I'll let you know in a few years:) I wonder if ageing would play any role? I hear that wine changes it's chemical profile as it ages, changing the flavours. I'm sure anything added would undergo slow changes too.

I have a rhubarb wine almost ready to be bottled, but I wouldn't want to mess it up by adding any crazy herbs ;)

hey plant pimp i LOVE my wine so id be interested if u do end up making some!

could u use california poppies for sedsating wine or other poppies?

thanx

perhaps "Galium Odoratum" would be a good idea for wine, because of the great taste(and the great cumarine-content of cause ;) )

I also will try to make "Kaempferia galanga" and "Amanita Muscaria" mead, i will report if i do

perhaps "Galium Odoratum" would be a good idea for wine, because of the great taste(and the great cumarine-content of cause ;) )

I also will try to make "Kaempferia galanga" and "Amanita Muscaria" mead, i will report if i do

give details of prep too mate

cheers