The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tripsis

Siamese seedling

Noticed this interesting little oddity today.

6236902903_7feb6a97a8_z.jpg

Not a great photo, but you can make out how it's joined.

I suppose it's just dichotomous, but I've never seen one start splitting before any areoles had even formed. Thoughts?

awsome!!! :-) do u think it will crest? or simlar

I doubt it. I think it will just grow to be a normal double-headed plant, but maybe not. Too young to tell much at all at the moment.

Iv had one do that before - its awesome. Mine didnt survive long though, because I grafted it and it fell off before it took.

nice, what is it?

I had a bridgesii life that and it grew to a 2 headed specimen

here it is

P1030177.jpg

P1030967.jpg

and this is now

P1040948.jpg

Looks like it will just be dichotomous then. Ah well, still nice. Did yours divide before areoles had formed or afterwards Philo?

I have no clue,i found it in a later stage, but from the picture it seems that the areols are only apparent after the division, just like yours.

Edited by Philocacti

If you don't mind sharing, from which cross/set of seed did that show up in, tripsis?

A couple of hybrids have given me a relatively high rate of dichotomous seedlings where the ramification occurred before they grew areoles just like Philo's and the one in your picture.

Edited by mira

It's T. bridgesii apparently. Which hybrids have given you those results mira?

Edited by tripsis

The one that comes to mind immediately is Ecuador Pachanoi X Psycho 0 - 2/19 seedlings that came up?.

There were a couple of others that gave closer to 1/25 but I forget the crosses at the moment.

Edited by mira

Interesting. I suppose they're still too young to tell whether they will simply be dichotomous or something more?

i found this one in a "Cuzco X Psycho0" seedlings tray, thanks nitrogen :). Although it looks like a pup but there is no connection point, so i suppose it's dichotomous, but after a few areols.

I just grafted it to pereskiopsis, there's a low chance the graft will take as the stock was much skinnier than the scion. I'll update if it takes, if tripsis doesn't mind.

P1040967.jpg

P1040972.jpg

Edited by Philocacti

Would love to see the updates. Wish I was as confident with my grafting skills as you!