The Corroboree
ballzac

hotmail - forum emails going to junk

Is anyone else using hotmail and having their topic subscription emails sent straight to junk? Or anyone successfully using hotmail for that matter?

For the past couple of years I have had

This message looks very suspicious to our SmartScreen filters, so we've blocked attachments, pictures, and links for your safety.

on my emails. Then when I click on the link I get

Attachments, pictures, and links in the message have been blocked for your safety. Would you like to unblock the content of the message?

And I have to click "OK" for it to open up the link. Then a few months ago I started having about 5% of the notifications go straight to junk. This has been annoying, but I spot that there are emails in my junk folder so it's no biggie. Note that I have added sender to safe senders list, and have tried clicking "not junk" and "show content". Now, a couple of days ago, every single email notification has started going to junk. This is getting quite annoying. I realise it's an issue with hotmail not following my instructions, but there must also be something weird about the SAB address or the email that's causing this to happen because it doesn't happen with any of the other forums I subscribe to (or any other senders for that matter) after I mark the sender as safe.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions other than "don't use hotmail" I'd be very appreciative :)

Yeah I just noticed this as well. I've just marked them as 'Not Junk' so hopefully that will be the end of the matter.

Edit: Read the rest of your post lol

cheers

Edited by Yawning Man

I don't subscribe to threads but I used to get an email whenever I got a pm, and now the notification gets junked by hotmail.

So, yeah similar story, what's wrong with SAB all of a sudden?

:scratchhead:

Or is with hotmail?

Dont use hotmail :P (sorry)

as YW said, mark as not junk, should solve it.

God damn suspicious plant related emails! :ana: gj hotmail, thanks for keeping us safe.

(btw, do you find that penis enlargement adds still make it to your inbox?)

Edited by eatfoo

mark as not junk does not solve it

All of my servers are set up in a way that hotmail doesn't like. Short of moving my servers there is nothing I can do about it. It's got to do with the fact that the mail sender is configured to imitate the sab domain. This works in most cases, but for some reason not on my current server set up. Google, hotmail, yahoo and especially bigpond have tightened this process, essentially only accepting mail from each other reliably. This all started about 12 months ago. Google and yahoo have relaxed things considerably due to a backlash [my problem is far from unique], but hotmail hasn't.

Nothing has changed at our end for a long time, so any changes are due to your mail host.

I am just about to get a new VPS in the next few weeks so I will see if this can be set up in a way to avoid the problem. If it works then I might move the forums.

mark as not junk, should solve it.

Oh wow. Why didn't I think of that :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Ah, very good to have an explanation, thanks. I could have the emails sent to my work addy, but would prefer to keep business and pleasure separate. If google/yahoo are working I might see if I still have an account for either of those and use them exclusively for SAB...that is, if the forwarded emails would get through, which I guess there's no guarantee they would. :scratchhead:

You could set up a nice new Gmail account and just redirect all your hotmail stuff there (you can even send as the hotmail address from gmail)

The trouble is that my work email runs through gmail, and I'd rather use a substantially different interface for my personal account so I don't accidentally send emails to colleagues using my personal account.

you may find that 'training' hotmail for a week or two will fix the problem. Just make sure you unspam every sab email in that time. If it doesn't get it by then it would have to be pretty dumb. I don't have hotmail, but if there is a white list setting you could also try to whitelist anything from corroboree.info , which is the server that the mail is sent from.

I've just checked the composite blocking list [whcih underlies hotmail's spam filter] and the forum IP is not on it. Just making sure I didn't get listed as a result of some spam script or something being hosted on the same IP. All clean, so just hotmail being dicks.

I just added corroboree.info to my safe senders list. I wouldn't be surprised if that fixes it, because normally when I tell it the email's safe, it just adds shaman-australis.com to the safe senders.

Please make sure to report back either way. It would be nice to know a user-end solution to the problem.

Unfortunately it didn't work. That's actually surprising. The only other time I had a similar problem was when I was getting emails from craftbrewer that didn't actually have a sender address for some reason. This meant there was no address to add to the safe senders list. I let the owner know and he fixed it up. Considering the cause of the problem here is similar in the sense that the address added to the safe sender list was the wrong one, I thought that would fix it.

I doubt your 'training' idea will work. Yes, hotmail is pretty dumb, lol. And I don't think I have the stamina to click "not junk" for every single email for a couple of weeks on the off chance.

Is it possible that the actually address appears in a different form at this end, such as ip rather than domain name or something like that? It's stupid that, if hotmail is recognising that the email isn't actually from shaman-australis.com, that it doesn't actually tell me where exactly the email is coming from and why it is blocking it so I can UNblock it :scratchhead:

could you set up a rule to auto forward mail from SAB to a user defined mailbox? either check for keywords in the heading or the senders address. maybe that would get around the junk mail settings. bit of a baind-aid solution but if nothing else works....

• Like 1

could you set up a rule to auto forward mail from SAB to a user defined mailbox? either check for keywords in the heading or the senders address. maybe that would get around the junk mail settings. bit of a baind-aid solution but if nothing else works....

clever clever

Last three subscription emails went to my inbox. Did anything change at this end? Or is it hotmail being random? I almost missed them because I haven't even bothered looking in my inbox that often lately :lol:

Yeah I got a notification email today, junk used to be my corroboree box but now they're going to inbox. Corrob just got legit

well, I changed nothing, so I guess it is just hotmail randomness