The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
cactuscarl

passiflora questions and id

Question

Hi all i was wondering which passiflora was the one usually used in smoking blends? I also wanted to get some id's

This first one is a native i thing, i see it everywhere

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m488/cactuscarl1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG20111007_005.jpg

This next one I'm not sure if it's passiflora but the flower sure looks the part

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m488/cactuscarl1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG20110915_001.jpg

And i have another one but no pics it has 3 rounded leaflets per leaf they are soft and somewhat furry it grows a white flower about the size of a 50 cent piece and yellow/orange fruit about the size of a grape i think it's also a native

Cheers

7 answers to this question

First one I don't know for sure, but resembles Passiflora suberosa. Second one is Passiflora coccinea, third description sounds like Passiflora foetida. The one used in smoking blends is most often Passiflora incarnata, but others like P. caerulea and edulis can also be used.

Thanks man I'll keep an eye out for those. Can any of the native be used ?

Passiflora suberosa is not native. It is an exotic species that is rapidly increasing its range.

Thanks man I'll keep an eye out for those. Can any of the native be used ?

I don't really know which passionflowers are endemic to Australia, but P. foetida also contains actives, so you could possibly use that one. Can you make a pic of the vine in the third description you gave? Just to be sure it's really foetida and not something else.

Can any of the native be used ?

P.cinnabarina as far as i know.

One should be careful when considering smoking Passiflora blends, as all but incarnata i believe are said to contain iso-cyanides/cyanide's , which are released upon combustion/immense heat. (straight into your :bong: )

Someone know more about this?

I just remember seeing something about this a while ago.

I'm in SE QLD too, and I see the Passiflora coccinea eveeerrrywhere :)

I need to figure out how to move this plant into my backyard :P